News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-13, 09:33 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Wednesday Night Suns at Spurs Game Thread (7:30 pm)

Wed, Nov 6
7:30 CT
AT&T Center - San Antonio, Texas

Phoenix
Suns
(3-1)

at

San Antonio
Spurs
(3-1)

Suns-Spurs Preview
By TAYLOR BECHTOLD, Associated Press Last Updated: Wed, Nov 6 1:53 ET

With Eric Bledsoe providing a huge spark, the Phoenix Suns are off to a strong start after finishing with the Western Conference's worst record last season.

Now they'll get a chance to see just how far they've come against the defending conference champs.

The surprising Suns look for their first 4-1 start since their last playoff season four years ago as they visit the San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday night.

Following a 25-57 finish last season, Phoenix (3-1) was expected to be more in contention for the top spot in the 2014 draft lottery than the playoffs.

The Suns, however, continued a promising start Tuesday when they rallied from a 10-point second-half deficit to even their record on this three-game road swing with a 104-98 victory in New Orleans.

''We're starting to make a little noise, but it's only four games into the season,'' said Gerald Green, who had 18 points and matched a career high with six 3-pointers. ''We haven't done anything yet.''

They are off to their best start since winning eight of nine to open the 2009-10 season thanks in part to Bledsoe, who appears to be on his way to a breakout season.

Bledsoe, acquired from the Los Angeles Clippers in a three-team trade in July, finished with 25 points on 10-of-12 shooting with five assists and three steals.

''I just took what the defense gave me,'' Bledsoe said. ''They gave me layups all night, so I was going to take every last one of them.''

Bledsoe has 51 points, 19 assists, 11 rebounds and six steals in his last two games. He's averaging team highs with 22.8 points, 7.8 assists and 2.3 steals, though he's also committed 5.5 turnovers per game.

The fourth-year guard will try to lead the Suns to their second straight win over the Spurs (3-1), though it would be only their third in the last 12 meetings.

It isn't likely to come easy against a San Antonio team that had 27 points off 23 Denver turnovers and limited the Nuggets to 16 fourth-quarter points en route to a 102-94 victory Tuesday.

Tony Parker finished with a game-high 24 points on 9-of-13 shooting and Tim Duncan had 17 with eight rebounds, eight assists and four blocks.

''I thought our defense was much better in the fourth,'' said coach Gregg Popovich, whose team allowed 115 points in Saturday's loss at Portland. ''We held them to about 13 points until the very end when Ty Lawson went to the line. But our aggressiveness on defense picked up, which fueled our offense.''

Although he missed one of the three meetings due to a triceps injury, Parker totaled 53 points on 22-of-37 shooting with 15 assists against the Suns last season.

Duncan finished with 19 points and 11 boards in the most recent meeting, but the Suns snapped a six-game losing streak to San Antonio with a 105-101 overtime win Feb. 27.

The Spurs could be without Matt Bonner after he sat out the second half Tuesday because of tightness in his left calf.

Green could get another start alongside Bledsoe with Goran Dragic doubtful because of an ankle injury.

Last edited by Eddy from Austin; 11-06-13 at 09:36 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-13, 11:56 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Spurs 98
Suns 91
Old 11-06-13, 01:13 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Spurs 106
suns 105

Go Spurs Go
I asked them if it wasn't too much trouble, if I wasn't being too pushy, if they could execute what we were trying to do. And if it didn't make them too angry, if they also wanted to play some defense on the other end, that would be great.
--Gregg Popovich!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-13, 01:42 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Spurs 101
Suns 92

Old 11-06-13, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

You guys seem pretty generous to the suns.
Imma say spurs 103 suns 89

- Confucius
Old 11-06-13, 08:04 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

the chat room is brokex?
Old 11-06-13, 10:16 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

That was a really good team. The sun were a lot tougher than I expected.
Old 11-06-13, 11:00 PM
SR Team Goof

You’re right Griz, they don’t play like a preseason predicted ‘cellar’ team. As Sean said during the telecast, the Suns are playing with a young, rebuilding crew with renewed enthusiasm under Jeff Hornacek and they have a nice core of players to accomplish that. I seriously think there are a few clubs in the West who will get burned this season if they take Phoenix lightly.
Old 11-07-13, 08:38 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I can understand now how Gortat was expendable. They really have it going with those athletic bigs. Hornacek deserves a lot of praise for how he utilizes his players.
We got to see Pop use a 9-man rotation for the first time. He also tried an extra small lineup with Diaw, Green, Mills, Parker and Belinelli. It didn't last too long as Phoenix took advantage and passed and shot over them.