SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Belinelli gives Spurs extra crunch-time option (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120622-belinelli-gives-spurs-extra-crunch-time-option.html)

alh1020 11-05-13 06:57 AM

Belinelli gives Spurs extra crunch-time option

Even before he joined the Spurs as a free agent last summer, Marco Belinelli enjoyed a reputation as a big-shot maker.

It was a designation the Italian guard all but cemented in the playoffs in May, when he hit a crucial 3-pointer in Chicago’s Game 7 victory over Brooklyn, then drew a $15,000 fine for a celebratory gesture the NBA ruled obscene.

It took Belinelli only three games in a Spurs uniform to show off his late-game chutzpah.

Belinelli scored 15 of his 19 points in the fourth quarter of the Spurs’ 115-105 loss at Portland on Saturday. His three 3-pointers, all buried with a high degree of difficulty, helped keep the Spurs within striking distance.

“He’s a competitor,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “He’s out there to compete every game and try to win.”

Belinelli’s fourth-quarter heroics could present Popovich with an interesting conundrum going forward. To get Belinelli on the floor down the stretch in Portland, Popovich had to bench the struggling Danny Green.

If Popovich also wants Manu Ginobili to close games — and he does — he will have to find a way to also keep Kawhi Leonard, the Spurs’ top perimeter defender and a key rebounder, on the floor.

It is difficult to predict how the Spurs might approach crunch time Tuesday night in Denver. Popovich’s rotation, especially early in a season, is often a work in progress that adjusts within the flow of any given game.

For now, the Spurs are pleased to have Belinelli and his big-shot ability as an option.

“He’s going to make big shots,” point guard Tony Parker said. “He’s known for that. That’s going to be a good weapon for us to have.”

Mills cited: Spurs guard Patty Mills has been issued his first warning under the NBA’s anti-flop policy.

Mills was cited for attempting to draw a charging foul on the Los Angeles Lakers’ Jordan Hill in the second half of the Spurs’ 101-95 victory on Friday.

Under the policy, instituted before the start of last season, each player receives one flop warning before an escalating series of fines kicks in. The next offense would cost Mills $5,000.

New-look Nuggets: Tuesday’s game marks the Spurs’ second of the season against a team sporting a new coach.

They knocked off Memphis 101-94 in coach Dave Joerger’s NBA debut to start the season.

With rookie coach Brian Shaw replacing George Karl after nine seasons with the Nuggets, the Spurs aren’t entirely certain what to expect at the Pepsi Center.

“We can only go off what we know personnel-wise on the players,” Green said. “We’re going to use what we’ve had in the past and use what we know personnel-wise, and go from there.”

Link to article: San Antonio Spurs news, scores, stats & analysis – Spurs Nation » Belinelli gives Spurs extra crunch-time option

JuanCaca 11-05-13 08:40 AM

unable to watch a single minute of my spurs this year :-( ...they are talking crunch time lineups....
did pop played small ball lineup featuring Duncan, Kawhi, Manu, Belinelli and parker? seems intresting offensive lineup...

spurscrazed 11-05-13 12:02 PM

So Great to see such Smart BBAL plays when Bellinelli plays.

Keep it up MarcoB! :D

Spurd_On 11-05-13 12:32 PM

That's all good offensively but I still think he has a ways to go defensively.

clovisnmspurfan 11-05-13 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurd_On (Post 1305545)
That's all good offensively but I still think he has a ways to go defensively.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->Yes you are right, however gives us another option for a different look.

Uwe Blab 11-05-13 05:13 PM

I don't think they need him to be great defensively. He's there to facilitate good offense and hit clutch shots.

clovisnmspurfan 11-05-13 06:28 PM

What ever he is he is an upgrade from last year.

Spurd_On 11-06-13 07:44 AM

I think that the caliber of the top teams in the NBA this year will will be at a standard that we have never witnessed previously and that there will be no such option as not needing to be a balanced player on both offense and defense. I think Belinelli can get there. He is supposedly light years better on defense than he was coming into the League due to Tom Thibideaux. Lets hope Pop and the coaching staff can take him the rest of the way before the playoffs.

grizzly_bexar 11-06-13 06:17 PM

The creators we have on this team are incredible. Diaw is playing as well as I've ever seen and Belinelli makes it seem like we've got two manus on the roster now.

Uwe Blab 11-07-13 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurd_On (Post 1305554)
I think that the caliber of the top teams in the NBA this year will will be at a standard that we have never witnessed previously and that there will be no such option as not needing to be a balanced player on both offense and defense. I think Belinelli can get there. He is supposedly light years better on defense than he was coming into the League due to Tom Thibideaux. Lets hope Pop and the coaching staff can take him the rest of the way before the playoffs.

He's not going to get any better on defense than he already is, and he isn't THAT bad. But I think people put too much weight on the Spurs need for more defense. They are a pretty darn good defensive team already.

Money4Nothing 11-08-13 04:29 AM

Belinelli is a better defender than Neal, so I'll take that. I think Neal is a better shooter though. It's always good to have multiple shooters because guys will go into a slump....so like now with Danny Green, you can let him work his way out of it and put someone like Marco out there. It really helps with depth.

$

Spurd_On 11-08-13 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Money4Nothing (Post 1305623)
Belinelli is a better defender than Neal, so I'll take that. I think Neal is a better shooter though. It's always good to have multiple shooters because guys will go into a slump....so like now with Danny Green, you can let him work his way out of it and put someone like Marco out there. It really helps with depth.

$

And I think that pretty much sums up why Belinelli is on the team. Even when he is in a shooting slump he can still distribute and create to the guys with the hot hand.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->

spurscrazed 11-10-13 06:02 AM

I wish Belinelli can start in place of Danny Green in some games depending on the opponents. Danny Green should not be a lock to start all the time. Pop should mix it up a bit to make games more interesting.:wink

spursfan9 11-10-13 01:35 PM

kawhi leonard benched in favor of bellineli! what?

JuanCaca 11-10-13 01:52 PM

maybe pop wanted to lessen the playmaking duties to parker since they play again tomorrow ...

Mombear 11-10-13 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spursfan9 (Post 1305668)
kawhi leonard benched in favor of bellineli! what?

Pop wanted to make sure Kawai was fresh for the 4th qtr against Melo... (match ups)... don't think either player played in the 4th. :)

Spurd_On 11-11-13 10:10 AM

I passa the balla and somatimsa I dreeble and shoota the balla.