News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 11-01-13, 10:11 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Baynes....

Can anyone honestly tell me what this guy has done that he was kept over Blair?

I just don't see anything special about him and to be honest even in Summer league I was not impressed at all....

Some people where so excited over his addition...I always pull for any Spur player...

Just was expecting a little more...
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-01-13, 10:46 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

I never expected much from him, aside from his size he doesn't have much skill IMO. He is a big body and thats about it, never thought he had some kind of game outside of 5 feet TBH. Blair I could care less about being gone though either, think Ayres will fill that role well in time.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-02-13, 01:23 AM
The Master Baiter

He has about 5 or 6 inches on Blair, and some knee cartilage. Baynes looked lost and is another "wait til he gets playing time" kind of guy this forum loves. Of course, those same people still think Splitter will get better than he is right now. Ayres is kind of a pleasant surprise in my opinion, but I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw his shooting form.
Old 11-02-13, 01:52 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
He has about 5 or 6 inches on Blair, and some knee cartilage. Baynes looked lost and is another "wait til he gets playing time" kind of guy this forum loves. Of course, those same people still think Splitter will get better than he is right now. Ayres is kind of a pleasant surprise in my opinion, but I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw his shooting form.
I agree on all you said here. I agree on his shooting form too man, horrible to say the least. Baynes is a guy though and very limited outside of being just big and positional D, he has no game outside of that really IMO.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 11-02-13, 08:56 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Its a good question but I'm not sure it is directed towards the right people. Rather I think Ayres was a replacement for Blair and given an 82 game season of learning the system and getting NBA minutes it may pay off.

Baynes is definitely questionable as to his value. I would imagine he was brought on board to learn to set picks, clog the lane and be an unmovable presence under the glass in certain situations. However he does have a long way to go to get the footwork and sense of where and when to be somewhere. I think Pop is hoping he can become more Rasho Nesterovich-like someday.
Old 11-02-13, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Please refer to my "Dejuan Blair Sucks" post.
Old 11-03-13, 06:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yes Baynes is not a direct replacement for Blair, but as has been said the reason he was kept was a lower contract to go with height and bigger body to match up against bigs like gasolx2 and Dwight..... I am an Oz homer but I am not saying a straight up match but at first as a back up so we don't lose length and eventually he could get his game together to match his physical attributes.

The Spurs don't need scoring out of him as such they need D, boards and finishing on cutbacks and roll situations, I think he is doing a decent job of that.
Old 11-04-13, 12:51 PM
SpursReport Staff Writer

Watch the Laker series last spring. That will answer your question.
Old 11-05-13, 06:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by disciple View Post
Nuff said.
Old 11-06-13, 11:59 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Are you joking?

Guy played in like 1 game when Spliter got hurt and we where up 3-0 in the series....

I know he is not an impact player for us...but the guy to me is not even worth a roster spot as a 4th big...

And here is some of the stats vs the Lakers this year:

12 min/ 0-4 FG / +/- (-11)/ 0 points / 2 Turnovers / 3 rebounds
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 11-06-13, 12:14 PM
SpursReport Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS View Post
Are you joking?

Guy played in like 1 game when Spliter got hurt and we where up 3-0 in the series....

I know he is not an impact player for us...but the guy to me is not even worth a roster spot as a 4th big...

And here is some of the stats vs the Lakers this year:

12 min/ 0-4 FG / +/- (-11)/ 0 points / 2 Turnovers / 3 rebounds

I am a big proponent of stats. Sometimes you have to look beyond them.

Baynes gives this team something they don't have otherwise. An unmovable force inside.

You can say anything you want about him but he was neither moved or intimidated by Dwight Howard in that series when he covered him.

He fills a need on this team that his roster spot is worthy of. Anything else is gravy.

Don't underestimate the value he has in practices either.
Old 11-06-13, 12:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Blair was starting to be an attitude problem. Baynes just does his job and keeps his mouth shut. Pop's kind of bench player.
Old 11-06-13, 01:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilly101 View Post
Blair was starting to be an attitude problem. Baynes just does his job and keeps his mouth shut. Pop's kind of bench player.
So far, Blair's kicking major ass. It's unfortunate that his skill set just didn't fit with the other bigs on the Spurs roster. Could you imagine OKC this year if they had kept Harden, cut Perkins and had Blair starting next to Ibaka for $1M? I'm glad that never happened.
Old 11-06-13, 06:18 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

He's there for weight and size. He's there for guys like Dwight Howard. Don't worry about anything else he brings.

On the other hand, I'm worrying some about Ayres. He's sucking it up.
Old 11-06-13, 07:43 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
He's there for weight and size. He's there for guys like Dwight Howard. Don't worry about anything else he brings.

On the other hand, I'm worrying some about Ayres. He's sucking it up.
Given an 82 regular game season, I think both Baynes and Ayres will be lunch pale contributors and compliment the team. Its not like we should have top first round draft pick expectations for either.
Old 11-06-13, 11:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I am a big proponent of stats. Sometimes you have to look beyond them.

Baynes gives this team something they don't have otherwise. An unmovable force inside.

You can say anything you want about him but he was neither moved or intimidated by Dwight Howard in that series when he covered him.

He fills a need on this team that his roster spot is worthy of. Anything else is gravy.

Don't underestimate the value he has in practices either.

ehhh, i wouldn't quite call him immovable. to you and me, sure immovable. to a heathy, dominant nba big? i think fodder.

i think context is important in that lakers series. d12 was not there physically (back) and mentally to really do anything against baynes. sure, baynes had a few decent stops against him, but i wonder how he holds up against the rockets' version of d12.

not arguing that blair would be better, but i don't really see baynes doing anything for us this year.
Old 11-07-13, 01:35 PM
SpursReport Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
So far, Blair's kicking major ass. It's unfortunate that his skill set just didn't fit with the other bigs on the Spurs roster. Could you imagine OKC this year if they had kept Harden, cut Perkins and had Blair starting next to Ibaka for $1M? I'm glad that never happened.
Blair has talent. But it is for the regular season mush games. When the big games or the playoffs roll around his liability is too easily exposed.

Because he can't play the 3 which is more suited for his height he has to play the 4. When push comes to shove (figuratively and literally) his inability to defend the NBA 4's keeps him from staying on the floor.
Old 11-07-13, 01:38 PM
SpursReport Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidEtpetit View Post
ehhh, i wouldn't quite call him immovable. to you and me, sure immovable. to a heathy, dominant nba big? i think fodder.

i think context is important in that lakers series. d12 was not there physically (back) and mentally to really do anything against baynes. sure, baynes had a few decent stops against him, but i wonder how he holds up against the rockets' version of d12.

not arguing that blair would be better, but i don't really see baynes doing anything for us this year.
Better option than Blair for this need.
Old 11-08-13, 04:26 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Baynes and Ayers are throwaway big guys that are on every NBA team. Just so happens that the Spurs have an extra one. One can only hope that since they are young, they have a chance to grow into a poor man's Nick Collison, as bad as that sounds. But they are interchangeable with the same dudes that you'll find at 11 and 12 spots on every team, and there's no reason to worry about them. Of course I hope they do well and help the team, but I'm not holding my breath.

$
Old 11-08-13, 09:57 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I think Baynes is a solid depth big man. He absolutely gives us a paint presence that no one else on the team does. I believe he absolutely agitated Dwight Howard and that he can continue to do so against big players... He can keep a lot of these bigger guys off the offensive glass. I still wish he could provide a little more offense, but then again if he was a better player, he would have been drafted and wouldn't be playing for us right now...
so with all that being said, I agree he is an end of the bench player and isn't really very important unless Duncan or splitter go down for an extended period of time...
Old 11-09-13, 03:56 PM
The Master Baiter

Loved him yesterday. He's a scrapper. That's worth keeping him.
Old 11-09-13, 04:24 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

He certainly aggravated their bigs and got his 5 fouls worth.
Old 11-09-13, 07:10 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
He certainly aggravated their bigs and got his 5 fouls worth.
Watching him work without the ball last night, I think a couple of the Warriors may have gone home with a few bruises as well. Good job, Aron.

Old 11-11-13, 01:46 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Baynes looks like an enforcer with a welcome bad attitude about the paint. It'd be nice if he could pick up some footwork from Tim, but that's expecting alot.

Ayers looks like he's just getting started. I agree that he may develop into something during the regular season. Spurs had him on the radar when he was in the draft. He just hasn't had much of a chance in the league yet.
Old 11-12-13, 02:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The game against the W's was the first time I got to get a good look at him this season. What he lacks in skill he brings with hustle and toughness. I think he held his ground well against Jermaine O'Neal, and didn't allow himself to be pushed around.

BTW, when did O'Neal start pumping the iron? I don't remember ever seeing him with the size on his arms that I saw on Friday.

Old 11-17-13, 10:41 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Wife came up with a great nickname for Baynes... From Crocodile Dundee movie...

Donk!!! As in... I don't need a gun... I've got a Donk.

Yes, I know he's from New Zealand, but it fits his on court personality.
Old 11-17-13, 05:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRL View Post
Wife came up with a great nickname for Baynes... From Crocodile Dundee movie...

Donk!!! As in... I don't need a gun... I've got a Donk.

Yes, I know he's from New Zealand, but it fits his on court personality.
Born NZ and raised in Oz.... he's an Anzac but plays for Oz so we claim him and so Donk works.
Old 12-11-13, 05:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Donk Dunked! Wish I could have found the clip to link.
Old 12-11-13, 11:53 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

The guy's earning his keep. We'd be in trouble if we asked him to carry the load, but he has six hard fouls and a nasty attitude.
Old 12-11-13, 12:02 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

he played ok? unable to watch last game but good boxscore numbers...
Old 12-11-13, 01:00 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

He was dominant last night. Watching the bench's reactions to his NBA Jam moves was hilarious. It's like watching Gronkowski play basketball.
Old 12-11-13, 01:42 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Old 12-11-13, 02:11 PM
SR Team Goof

Eddy, you're right on time with your post above. Thanks.

I went back and reread some of the earlier posts on this thread and I canít knock Baynes. He was acquired less than a year ago and has shown, at least to me, heís willing to put out the effort to fit in. Granted, his path here might have been smoothed over by Coach Brown being here to put in the good words, but Baynes fills a roster spot. He has done everything that has been asked of him and sitting at the end of the bench and going back and forth to Austin, this kid knows he is a role player and is willing to bang with the big guys and give up his body to take the charges when given a chance. He doesnít get the minutes of most of the players in front of him, primarily because the Spurs just have one of the most talented benches, if not the best, in the league and Baynes has to pay his dues to ascend to the other end of the bench. Yes, I will admit Iím one of those guys who harp on Ďif given added playing timeí will give a player more chances to improve. A guy can have all the talent in the world but in my mind, you canít beat added playing time to gain experience playing with your teammates, learning their habits, improve your reflexes to opponentís moves and being able to pace yourself throughout a game. Iím sure when Manu arrived on the scene he hit a few guys in the head and chest with his blind passes before the other Spurs players learned his playing style. And I will say this, if Baynes continues to come off the bench and contribute like he did last night against the Raptors, heís going to get the attention of not only Pop and his staff, heís going to send reminders to Splitter, Diaw, Bonner, Ayres and a few others that heís here and vying for more PT. I sincerely hope he succeeds because the added competition to play better will not only help the players, it will eventually help the Spurs to continue to be a force in the league.
Old 12-11-13, 02:59 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Take notice from the video that he scores 6 different ways.

Unlike Ayres who seems to have only one....a two-handed dunk.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 12-11-13 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-11-13, 03:56 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

great, thanks!!

sometimes looks heavy lol but effective...
Old 12-11-13, 08:37 PM
SpursReport Rookie

trade splitter

The spurs should trade splitter for asik. With baynes showing signs of life, asik would be a huge upgrade over splitter.
Old 12-11-13, 10:45 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Sometime after all those baskets... he twisted his ankle and couldn't play vs the Bucks.... :shocked

Old 12-12-13, 03:52 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yeah apparently taking a charge.... Baynes no feel, still dunk!
Old 12-12-13, 12:47 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I don't mind Splitter but I do mind him at the price they paid for him. Way overpaid! Hate to say it Manu as well.
Old 12-13-13, 02:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Better option than Blair for this need.
wow- i could be eating crow if he continues what he showed a few games back. impressive.