News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 10-25-13, 12:54 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Josh Howard Finally A Spur?

According to Spursnation, he's on his way. San Antonio Spurs news, scores, stats & analysis – Spurs Nation Spurs to sign Josh Howard to non-guaranteed deal
Old 10-25-13, 01:33 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I guess the Rockets game was the acid test by Pop to see if he could get by without another legit small forward behind Kawhi and Manu. Apparently the answer came to him quickly. Let's hope that Howard's legs are now bionic enough to make it through a full season.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-25-13, 01:53 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

dang!! why him, this year!?!?!
Old 10-25-13, 01:56 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
dang!! why him, this year!?!?!
I don't understand the question. Does this mean he shouldn't get a shot? It's a non-guaranteed contract the way I read it.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-25-13, 02:01 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Low risk, maybe he has a little left in the tank.
Old 10-25-13, 02:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Money is money, he just picked who ever offered him something. Just like Maggette, he turned us down a while back, now he's just hoping for a paycheck, a bench seat and an exit requirement plan! Better hire more doctors, cause he makes Manu look like Bruce Willis in the movie "Unbreakable"
Old 10-25-13, 03:01 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
I don't understand the question. Does this mean he shouldn't get a shot? It's a non-guaranteed contract the way I read it.

sorry i was a little perplexed! i was meaning: why at this stage?... or why ' till this year?.. the guy has 2 major knee surgery ...offensively sounds to me like last year stephen jackson... and defensively... well dunno what to xpect...
Old 10-25-13, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Better hire more doctors, cause he makes Manu look like Bruce Willis in the movie "Unbreakable"

Old 10-25-13, 03:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

confused. why sign this guy over maggette? maggette seems to be in much better shape/have a much better attitude. also, didn't he get suspended from the mavs in 06 for smoking pot during the season?
Old 10-25-13, 03:56 PM
The Master Baiter

It's slim pickings at this point in the offseason. They seem to be truly searching for someone, I wouldn't be surprised at a trade during the season.

If your only other option at that spot is Manu, you're in trouble. Trade Manu for someone, the other team cuts him, he returns after 30 days. Or is that not allowed anymore? Either way, trade Manu.

Last edited by Uwe Blab; 10-25-13 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-25-13, 04:26 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidEtpetit View Post
confused. why sign this guy over maggette? maggette seems to be in much better shape/have a much better attitude. also, didn't he get suspended from the mavs in 06 for smoking pot during the season?
I don't think he has a guaranteed contract so they are not choosing him over Maggette, they are just giving him the same opportunity. He will have to prove he is better suited than Maggette because Maggette was not good enough for Pop.

Old 10-25-13, 05:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
It's slim pickings at this point in the offseason. They seem to be truly searching for someone, I wouldn't be surprised at a trade during the season.

If your only other option at that spot is Manu, you're in trouble. Trade Manu for someone, the other team cuts him, he returns after 30 days. Or is that not allowed anymore? Either way, trade Manu.

If Manu traded and later released, he cannot sign until following season

- Confucius
Old 10-25-13, 05:36 PM
SR Team Goof

From the article: “Howard is 33 and coming off his second major knee surgery in less than three years, having had his feel-good comeback in Minnesota sidetracked by a torn ACL in his right knee last December……………In his bid to make a contribution with the Spurs, Howard faces a climb that is similarly uphill.”

Wow, I’m stomped. Why are we in such a hurry to fill that 15th slot? Since we can only suit 12 players, who sits to allow him to play, if he’s still around when that happens? With the season starting in a few days, it looks like the regular season schedule will be Howard's training camp or is he still eligible to play D-league, with his NBA tenure? Pop sure likes his veterans. A Michael Finley he’s not, at least not at this stage in his career. I’m just glad it’s a non-guaranteed contract.
Old 10-25-13, 07:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
From the article: Howard is 33 and coming off his second major knee surgery in less than three years, having had his feel-good comeback in Minnesota sidetracked by a torn ACL in his right knee last DecemberIn his bid to make a contribution with the Spurs, Howard faces a climb that is similarly uphill.

Wow, Im stomped. Why are we in such a hurry to fill that 15th slot? Since we can only suit 12 players, who sits to allow him to play, if hes still around when that happens? With the season starting in a few days, it looks like the regular season schedule will be Howard's training camp or is he still eligible to play D-league, with his NBA tenure? Pop sure likes his veterans. A Michael Finley hes not, at least not at this stage in his career. Im just glad its a non-guaranteed contract.
I'm not aware of any D-League restrictions on NBA players.

Old 10-25-13, 10:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
I'm not aware of any D-League restrictions on NBA players.

I don't think Howard is a D-League candidate. He's a veteran so he knows the game and there is nothing he's really going to learn in the d-league. Only thing he would get from there is a chance at getting hurt. If he was just coming off of injury and needed to get into game shape to play significant minutes as quickly as possible then some PT with the Toros would make sense, but he's got plenty of time to find his grove with SA so the bench is ok.
Old 10-26-13, 12:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Annnnnndddd, he's gone:

Spurs Waive Josh Howard | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS
Old 10-26-13, 12:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Thank gosh !
Old 10-26-13, 12:39 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

wtf?

the guy of the Argentina bird attack messed things givin contract to the wrong player??

or are spurs that evil, and just do that to pay back ..lolol
Old 10-26-13, 12:51 PM
SR Team Goof

That had to be a little awkward.

RC to Josh and his agent: Pop and I had a long sit-down and discussed how you really screwed us when you were with Dallas, and after a few bottles of wine, we thought, Nah, we dont want ya. Call us if you need tickets to a game.
Old 10-26-13, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

He is not gone. The signing and waiving was a procedural issue of some sort. He will be a Toro, not a Spur, until he is ready. My best guess is that this somehow gives the Spurs 1st option if a team tries to snag him from the D-League. In the meantime I would imagine that the Spurs would first begin checking his progress status after about the same amount of time as training camp was.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 10-26-13 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-26-13, 03:01 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

yeah, they can asign to toros their last 3 cuts from camp...
Old 10-26-13, 04:04 PM

Hard to believe that this whole thing wasn't negotiated in advance. He goes to the Toros for a few months, rehabs his knee, learns the Spurs system and shows back up in SA around Christmas.
Old 10-26-13, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Hard to believe that this whole thing wasn't negotiated in advance. He goes to the Toros for a few months, rehabs his knee, learns the Spurs system and shows back up in SA around Christmas.
It seems to be a very creative scheme. I'm crossing my fingers that Howard proves worthy.

Old 10-26-13, 08:27 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
From the article: Howard is 33 and coming off his second major knee surgery in less than three years, having had his feel-good comeback in Minnesota sidetracked by a torn ACL in his right knee last DecemberIn his bid to make a contribution with the Spurs, Howard faces a climb that is similarly uphill.

Wow, Im stomped. Why are we in such a hurry to fill that 15th slot? Since we can only suit 12 players, who sits to allow him to play, if hes still around when that happens? With the season starting in a few days, it looks like the regular season schedule will be Howard's training camp or is he still eligible to play D-league, with his NBA tenure? Pop sure likes his veterans. A Michael Finley hes not, at least not at this stage in his career. Im just glad its a non-guaranteed contract.
You can suit 13 players now. That was changed after the last lockout
Old 10-26-13, 09:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Just goes to show how little I know about how this stuff works.

I hope his rehab stint goes well and he can contribute Timmy's thumb ring.
Old 10-27-13, 10:08 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
You can suit 13 players now. That was changed after the last lockout
Works for me. Personally, if a player is under contract, I say he suits up, particularly home games. If youre going to pay the guy at least make him available to the coach. Why pay a player just to have him eventually sit behind the bench or shuttle him back and forth to the D-league. Fine, if the player needs game experience to get in shape, rehab an injury or learn the teams offensive/defensive schemas, then D-league is the place to send him. But I feel all signed players should be accessible to the coach to play at any time. Sometimes league rules just suck, IMHO.