News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-13, 08:02 AM
SR Team Goof

Mavericks's DeJuan Blair says Spurs 'didnít give me anything,

Mavericks's DeJuan Blair says Spurs 'didnít give me anything,' hungry for revenge against old team

To say there is no love lost for new Mavericksí big man DeJuan Blair toward his former employer, the San Antonio Spurs, would be an understatement.

As the saying goes in messy business deals, one side got the gold mine, and Blair felt like he got the shaft.

Blair, who measures 6-7 only on his best days, is a supremely motivated player this season.

Shunned by the Spurs last season, he signed a one-year contract with the Mavericks for two reasons. He wants to rebuild his value around the league and get four chances to exact revenge on the Spurs, who slashed his playing time basically in half last season.

ďLike everybody else who doesnít play, it was very disappointing,Ē he said. ďBut I knew I was going to a new team, and somebody else was going to take advantage of the potential I had. So to me, itís not a big deal.

ďItís going to be fun being on the opposite team and playing with the Mavs [in the rivalry with San Antonio]. They didnít give me anything when I was there [in San Antonio]. I mean, the fans gave me everything. But everything else, it is what it is.Ē

Blair had been an integral part of the Spurs in his first three seasons. Last season, he was bypassed in the rotation by Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw. The final straw came in the NBA Finals. With the Spurs scant seconds from the championship, Blair watched from the bench for all of Game 6 as the Miami Heat scored an unlikely comeback win.

Blairís team had it won, and then it didnít.

ďI didnít have it won,Ē Blair said emphatically. ďThe Spurs had it won.Ē

So Blair already has the four meetings with San Antonio circled this season. But there are more pressing priorities to address first.

Blairís ability to rebound, defend and play the power forward and center positions will earn him court time with the Mavericks, particularly early in the season when Brandan Wright is recovering from a shoulder injury .

To paraphrase coach Rick Carlisle, Blair must be a tail-kicker.

Carlisle said Blair has been putting in a lot of extra work to make sure he knows the power forward and the center responsibilities. Despite his lack of height, heís been a center more than anything else in his career, and he doesnít have a problem with that.

When told heís a little undersized, he said: ďA little? I just try to use more of what I have than what I donít have. I know I donít have height. But I got a lot of power and strength. Iím pretty strong. So itís going to even out. Iíve been playing [center] all my life against 7-footers.Ē

Blair, by the way, had his share of productive games against the Mavericks for San Antonio.

He had 18 points and 13 rebounds on Jan. 14, 2011. He had 22 points last Jan. 25. And he had 27 points and 23 rebounds in the final game of his rookie season against the Mavericks.

ďI plan on having a lot more of them,Ē he said. ďWith minutes given to me, thatís pretty much what you get, getting in a groove and just playing. Weíre going to see what minutes are given me.Ē

He has also shown he can hit a nifty little running floater from midrange, sinking two of them in the first three preseason games.

ďHeís been shooting that the last couple years,Ē Carlisle said. ďItís a little like [Shawn] Marion. It looks like an unusual shot. But Shawn throws them in regularly, and Blairís been making them in camp.Ē

Just another weapon heís hoping to unleash on his former team ó all in due time.

Link to article: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...nclick_check=1
Old 10-18-13, 08:06 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Honestly, he's not far wrong. He did his work and seemed to maintain a good attitude. He just couldn't get onto the court because the Spurs had taller players. It cost him money.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-18-13, 08:44 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

He sucks. He has sucked in all of his Mav's pre-season games. I can't wait till he gets on the court with us so we can outscore their team by 10 to 20 points in the 6 to 12 minutes he plays.

The more minutes he plays the worse he plays. In the 1st 2 pre-season games he was +5 and +2 playing only 10 minutes.

In the last 2 games he was -2 and -11. Why? He played 15 minutes.

He sucks.
Old 10-18-13, 11:24 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

cry me a riverrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 10-18-13, 01:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The Spurs should never give any player anything, it's all about earning it. He wasn't doing something as good as his competition, he didn't earn it.

Love the guy, wish he had played more for us, but it's not something to cry over. Take the motivation, get to work dude. Until then, we'll beat the pee out of your mavs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-18-13, 03:29 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Considering Spurs drafted him with no ACLs (no other team would've take the risk), he owes the Spurs his NBA career no matter where it takes him...
[email protected]
Old 10-18-13, 03:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Blair earned his keep with us. He fell out of rotation when we got bigger, better, and smarter players, which pushed him further down in rotation. Hope things work out for him.
Old 10-18-13, 10:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA View Post
Considering Spurs drafted him with no ACLs (no other team would've take the risk), he owes the Spurs his NBA career no matter where it takes him...
Not to mention that we gave a 2nd round pick a guaranteed contract before he ever played a game.
Old 10-19-13, 03:22 PM
The Master Baiter

He most likely got an offseason workout regimen from the Spurs that he didn't use until his contract year. That's on him. By that time, the Spurs had moved on and found better and taller players.
Old 10-20-13, 08:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Come to think of it, we gave him a chance when nobody else would....
How Rude!!
Old 10-21-13, 12:26 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I would think that playing against Blair will only make it easier to close out games against Dallas. If anyone knows his weaknesses its the Spurs. I am anxious to see if the fans give him the cold shoulder when he returns to SA. Finally Blair will be a motivating factor for the Spurs rather than a divisive one. Thanks for the advantage "no knees"!