SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Manu Ginobili's Contract Got Lost In A Bird Attack (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120556-manu-ginobilis-contract-got-lost-bird-attack.html)

Uwe Blab 10-15-13 10:59 AM

Manu Ginobili's Contract Got Lost In A Bird Attack

Link

The New York Times has a story about the San Antonio Spurs' legacy of fostering foreign talent, and it contains a wonderful anecdote about an offseason mishap in Argentina involving Manu Ginobili's contract, a frightened intern, and an angry bird.

In July, the Spurs sent an intern to Argentina to deliver a new contract to Ginobili, but before the intern could complete his mission, disaster struck:

Hours before the Spurs’ intern was to fly home from Buenos Aires, team officials said that he was strafed by a bird in a park. As he tidied up at a fountain, his backpack disappeared. Inside were Ginobili’s signed contract, along with the intern’s passport, cellphone and laptop.

Luckily, an international sports crisis was averted. An assistant traveling to Buenos Aires soon after brought a fresh contract and returned it to Texas without incident.

“No birds got to him,” Sean Marks, the Spurs’ director of basketball operations, said with a laugh. “We were all waiting for Manu’s contract to show up on eBay. It hasn’t yet.”
I refuse to believe that this bird attack and the theft of the intern's belongings are a coincidence. Either we've got a highly intelligent bird that values non-traditional sports memorabilia on our hands, or the backpack was taken by an international gang of thieves that deploys attack birds when pulling off heists. Either way, that intern is lucky to have escaped with his life.

Uwe Blab 10-15-13 11:00 AM

And before anyone asks, no, that was not MY bird.

e_93gsx 10-15-13 12:16 PM

Soooooo.... a bird attacks an intern and his backpack "disappears"? Ok...

For Sale: Beach front property in Arizona. Send me your email.

I'm thinking there is more to the story then what is said.

Racspur 10-16-13 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_93gsx (Post 1305105)
Soooooo.... a bird attacks an intern and his backpack "disappears"? Ok...

For Sale: Beach front property in Arizona. Send me your email.

I'm thinking there is more to the story then what is said.

Gotta admit its pretty damn original !!! :applause

Teacher : " Racspur, wheres your homework ???

Racspur : " Well Mrs. Langston , On my way to school today there was this bird ... " :laugh

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->

My2Cents 10-16-13 09:14 AM

It was the "Bat" in disguise!

grizzly_bexar 10-16-13 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1305104)
And before anyone asks, no, that was not MY bird.

Of course not. Any bird you trained to do that would have finished the job, right?

clovisnmspurfan 10-16-13 02:28 PM

More Manu voodo?

katyspursfan 10-16-13 04:36 PM

So, did the intern get another passport?

ATHENEA 10-17-13 03:05 PM

Yup. And Spurs sent another guy and got the contract signed again...
Manu said intern got pooped on by a bird, went to wash his hands in a fountain nearby and his backpack was stolen.