News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-13, 02:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs add Myck Kabongo to training camp roster

Strengths: Kabongo is a flashy prospect with great quickness...Can make some truly spectacular passes...Very unselfish...Extremely quick, which helps him get to the basket...Good floor vision, especially when kicking it out to the open man behind the 3pt line...Good ball handler...Very good at stopping on a dime with the ball...Has a tremendous innate feel for the game, which he's possessed since high school...Good height and length...Draws a lot of contact and uses his body to draw fouls. Averaged 7 free throw attempts per game last season...Quick hands on defense (2 SPG)...Decent athleticism and explosiveness...His good lateral quickness and length make him a solid defender......Can drive to his right or his left...Very good at delivering passes right to where a catching-and-shooting teammate wants it...Good one-handed floater...Good rebounding point guard (5 RPG last season)...

Weaknesses: Often tries to do too much with the ball and thus is very turnover-prone (an alarming 3.4 TOPG last season)...Very inconsistent shooter. Shot 30% from 3pt land last season...Part of his unselfishness is due to his lack of shooting ability and his simple lack of confidence in his shot. He needs to not pass up on open looks within his range...Not only does he often make bad passes, but Kabongo also has a tendency to get called for travels and offensive fouls, so he needs to be smarter with the basketball...Put up less than impressive numbers at the combine athleticism testing...His team underperformed last year, despite having a great deal of talent, and one would think a lot of that falls on his shoulders as the starting point guard...Needs to be more consistent when finishing around the rim. Is often guilty of not taking the ball strongly to the basket, which gets a lot of his layup attempts blocked or altered...Has a somewhat thin frame, and his lack of strength will limit him in driving to the basket and fighting through screens...Often gambles on D...Needs to focus on making the simple play rather than trying to make the flashy play...Occasionally commits unnecessary fouls away from the basket...His shooting mechanics may need work...

Overall: At his best, Kabongo is an entertaining, unselfish, and intelligent point guard. But at his worst, he can be careless and inconsistent. In his defense his inability to play for 2/3 of the year really set back his development. Kabongo has the chance to be a second round steal, but his lack of readiness and undisciplined style could end up having him playing overseas...
Old 09-28-13, 02:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Myck Kabongo invited to San Antonio Spurs camp: Report | Toronto Star
Old 09-28-13, 02:58 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think he should come to camp just for having a name like this. However he sounds like he could put Pop on meds.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-28-13, 06:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
I think he should come to camp just for having a name like this. However he sounds like he could put Pop on meds.
Probably the same ones Manu has him using.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-28-13, 06:47 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

is me or thats almost patty mills description ...
Old 09-28-13, 08:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
is me or thats almost patty mills description ...
It must be you, because that is nothing like Patty Mills' description.

Patty Mills isn't anything close to a pure point guard who can really pass the ball.

Patty Mills is a scorer.
Old 09-28-13, 11:19 PM
SR Team Goof

Training camp fodder. If anything, he'll probably end up in Austin, do well and be signed by someone other than the Spurs, simply because we got no room for him y'all.
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Old 09-29-13, 08:31 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Training camp fodder. If anything, he'll probably end up in Austin,
Which is where he should have stayed instead of thinking he was NBA ready.
Old 09-29-13, 09:50 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Which is where he should have stayed instead of thinking he was NBA ready.
After the way the overseers at the NCAA arbitrarily screwed him I wouldn't want to go back either. Now he gets to improve his basketball game in Austin while earning a paycheck.
Old 09-29-13, 06:49 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

He was mediocre as a freshman and then he shouldn't have lied to the investigators killing his soph season. He should have sucked it up and gone back to school and learned how to play. He's going to get to spend a ton of time in Europe or the D-League, because he's not NBA ready.
Old 09-29-13, 09:44 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
He was mediocre as a freshman and then he shouldn't have lied to the investigators killing his soph season. He should have sucked it up and gone back to school and learned how to play. He's going to get to spend a ton of time in Europe or the D-League, because he's not NBA ready.
^^^^^^^^
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 09-30-13, 09:31 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Because as we know, lying to NCAA investigators never results in anything good:

I hope more players forgo the sham that is college basketball and choose to start their careers in Europe or the d-leagues. Look, I would never in a million years tell anyone not to get a college education, but the current system in the NCAA is beyond a joke. Schools actively recruit students who have no intention of staying beyond a year in school to come and play for their programs. It seems pretty clear that this was Myck's plan going in. College should be a place where people go to earn a degree not be exploited as tools to generate wins and revenue for an athletic program. Athletics can be a part of education and for most student athletes it is, but in big time men's college basketball and football it's not. It is about putting millions of dollars in people's pockets.

Last edited by b1gdon; 09-30-13 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-01-13, 06:50 PM
Herman Cain of the board

This guy has been on the radar for San Antonio. I pointed that out in the past.
Old 10-02-13, 05:53 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Excellent move. I like him a lot.
Old 10-02-13, 07:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Who's spot would he take.... Mills or DeColo?
Old 10-02-13, 07:31 PM
SR Team Goof

Iím sorry, I just donít see it with this guy even being considered for a position on the Spurs other than training camp fodder. There are 3 paragraphs in Choppsí introduction: Strengths/Weaknesses/Overall. There are far too many weaknesses outweighing the strengths. And when you finally get to the Overall, there are so many negatives (ďBut at his worst, he can be careless and inconsistent. In his defense his inability to play for 2/3 of the year really set back his development. Kabongo has the chance to be a second round steal, but his lack of readiness and undisciplined styleÖÖ), I canít get it fixed in my mind how he even got on the training camp roster. Iíve got to wonder if he even would be recruited for European ball, let alone the D-league unless someone greases the way.

If heís still on the roster during some of the pre-season games, maybe watching him physically play some minutes might sway me a little over what Iím reading, but IMHO, if he wants to play for the Spurs, come back in a couple years with a more promising resume and experience.
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Old 10-02-13, 08:52 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I doubt that he is a serious immediate consideration. My guess is that these invitees (the non veterans) are possible prospects. If the Spurs still see him as such after camp, they may give him a training regimen to follow. If he shows progress, they may invite him to camp next year. It seems to have worked for Danny Green. It probably worked for Alonzo Gee but the Spurs lost him to Cleveland while deciding on James Anderson.
Old 10-10-13, 01:56 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think these are the reasons the Spurs are interested in him:

ďgreat quickness...Can make some truly spectacular passes....Extremely quick...Good floor vision... Has a tremendous innate feel for the game,....Quick hands on defense..... good lateral quickness and length... ď

These are things that normally can't be taught. And they are the skills of a natural point guard. Not only do the Spurs do not have a settled backup point guard, Tony Parker is not a natural point guard either. That is why Manu is relied upon to be the play maker a lot of times.

Of all the point guards on the roster only DeColo has the court vision and passing ability to be a play maker, but he lacks the natural abilities to be a good defender. Note that in addition to his play maker talents Myck has quick hands, good lateral quickness, and length, all necessary for good perimeter defense.

He has not developed his talents much yet and so he is not of much use in the NBA right now. I do not believe that the Spurs are looking at him for this year but as a development project with the hope that they produce a true point guard that can at least serve as backup for Tony. For that the Toros may be the best place for him.

At one time MK was considered by some to be a potential lottery pick. However, the scandal derailed all that and he went undrafted. This is just another case of the Spurs looking for low cost options with a high potential payoff.
Old 10-12-13, 09:02 PM
SpursReport Rookie

El Kabongo