News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 09-26-13, 03:46 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs add Corey Magette

33 years old. Wish he was 30 but I'll take it. Let's see if he can make the team...

The San Antonio Spurs have an uncanny way to turn once forgotten players into efficient role players, something they hope they can do with Corey Maggette who they recently invited to their training camp.
Per Jared Zwerling:
Corey Maggette will be joining the Spurs for training camp. Great locker room guy, could provide needed scoring, esp. w/ Pop’s rest methods.
Despite a fourteen year career, Maggette is still just 33-years-old (will be 34 in November) and assuming he has enough juice left in his tank, could provide a nice veteran spark off the Spurs’ bench.

Maggette last played for the Detroit Pistons during the 2012-13 season, though did so sparingly after missing much of the season with injury – the underlying downside to his career.
The former Duke product has only played 70+ games one time since the 2008-09 season, so he needs a role where he can play limited minutes to maintain his health, something the Spurs would likely be able to provide.
Seems like a solid pairing and another typical Spurs move, that often work out so well for all parties involved.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-26-13, 04:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Too young. Shoots free throws too well.

Pass.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-26-13, 04:59 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I've been a huge Corey Maggette fan, and back 5-6 years ago when he signed with GSW it was between them and SA, and I always thought he would be a good fit here. It's no secret, the guy does not know a thing about defense, but he loves driving, getting contact, and going to the line. That has been his nitch in the NBA his entire career, obviously with Kawhi expeded to do a lot more in year 3, he could be a great back up and could teach Kawhi a thing or 2 on the offensive end. I like the idea, plus on a side note, this guy is freaking amazingly built, he could teach some of our guys how to keep in shape (not that it's a problem) but no harm in looking tough.

Go Spurs Go!
Old 09-26-13, 06:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I love it. Sam young present defense but would rather have maggette if healthy. Go spurs go. We lost WCF and head to finals next season. Now we lost finals, hopefully that means _______

- Confucius
Old 09-26-13, 07:02 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Another good training camp signing. It seems that Pop wants to take a look at seasoned veterans rather than the young upstarts they have brought to camp in past seasons.
Old 09-26-13, 07:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Free throws magnet,toughness.... Professionalism.
Old 09-26-13, 08:55 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Well one thing about his game that never really took off was his lack of passing ability. He might not make the team because of that issue.
Old 09-26-13, 09:42 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Well one thing about his game that never really took off was his lack of passing ability. He might not make the team because of that issue.
I think I've seen that problem demonstrated by a few players, I call it 'Allen Iverson-itis' (the tendency of one man controlling the ball until the last 5 seconds of so of the 24 second clock). The Spurs could cure him of it real fast -- don't give him the ball. But in all seriousness, Maggette, in his day, was a real dangerous guy to have on your team, could shoot and go to the hoop and was able to draw the shooting fouls too. Didn't Pop camp out on Maggette's doorstep when he became a free agent and then Corey decided to go elsewhere for the big money?

If I had my druthers and had to choose between the collection of players recently mentioned going to camp for the Spurs (Young, Bibby, Maggette), I'd have to go with Young since he is younger and can play a hardnosed defense. Maggette has been injury prone the latter part of his career and hasn't played that much or effectively. Bibby, I don't know, he's seen his day and I think he's just trying to hang on and doesn't want to quit.
Old 09-26-13, 09:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Didn't the Spurs go after him a few years back?. Forgot who he signed with... Clippers maybe?
Old 09-26-13, 10:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I think I've seen that problem demonstrated by a few players, I call it 'Allen Iverson-itis' (the tendency of one man controlling the ball until the last 5 seconds of so of the 24 second clock). The Spurs could cure him of it real fast -- don't give him the ball. But in all seriousness, Maggette, in his day, was a real dangerous guy to have on your team, could shoot and go to the hoop and was able to draw the shooting fouls too. Didn't Pop camp out on Maggette's doorstep when he became a free agent and then Corey decided to go elsewhere for the big money?

If I had my druthers and had to choose between the collection of players recently mentioned going to camp for the Spurs (Young, Bibby, Maggette), I'd have to go with Young since he is younger and can play a hardnosed defense. Maggette has been injury prone the latter part of his career and hasn't played that much or effectively. Bibby, I don't know, he's seen his day and I think he's just trying to hang on and doesn't want to quit.

+1
Old 09-26-13, 10:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I'd have to go with Young since he is younger
Pun intended?
Old 09-27-13, 11:16 AM
SpursReport Rookie

are we all positive that Young and Magette don't both make this team? we have more guards then we need and not enough backups at the 3/2 spots. they would add a offensive/defensive combo that we could use depending on the situation.
If we keep joseph and Mills, I just don't see a need for someone like de colo...
I feel like keeping these two guys gives us more potential flexibility and an ability to match up with many different types of players.
Old 09-27-13, 11:30 AM
The Master Baiter

The need for more defense is a little overrated on this board. They do fine on defense. They need more offensive power. They need to assume that Manu will be injured or not be effective. My only problem with Magette is that he may be a little short to play SF.
Old 09-27-13, 04:34 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Didn't the Spurs go after him a few years back?. Forgot who he signed with... Clippers maybe?
He went to Golden State in 08, we ended up with Mason instead
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 09-27-13, 08:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
He went to Golden State in 08, we ended up with Mason instead
That's right.... I remember now. Uptempo offense, no identity, free flowing offense,nobody accountable for anything, and most importantly.... "Shoot as much as you like, we're not going to the playoffs!" Just the polar opposite of the Spurs. It was like a street ball team, plus I think they paid him 10 million? He past on us.... So I'll pass on his ass!
Old 09-28-13, 07:54 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't think Maggette has much left in the bank these days at 34 except mentoring and the Spurs have plenty of that already on the team. He is probably destined for a FO job maybe with the Spurs.
Plus he plays no defense to speak of.