SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Is Parker now Hall of Fame Bound? (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120524-parker-now-hall-fame-bound.html)

Flipmode Master 09-23-13 12:31 PM

Is Parker now Hall of Fame Bound?
 
Tony Parker has already had a very successful NBA career, his NBA career numbers arenít outstanding (17.1 points 6 assists) but there supplemented by his hefty accomplishments. His resume boasts three NBA championships, a Finals MVP, and several All-Star appearances. Now Parker has a Euro-basketball championship under his belt, the first in French national teamís history.


Is Parker now Hall of Fame Bound?

alh1020 09-23-13 03:35 PM

Yes, at this point in his career and the creds he cares, I see him as eventually getting into the Hall, but maybe not as a first time eligible. Again I say, at this point. However, he has maybe 4-5 good years ahead of him which may sweeten his path to Springfield Mass a little more.

Kager 09-23-13 07:17 PM

I think it will come down to what he does now and going forward as TD becomes more and more a role on TP's team, not necessarily rings from now but if he is able to carry the team and take them far then maybe.

Eddy from Austin 09-24-13 11:08 AM

If Gary Payton made it Tony is a shoe-in

doom32x4 09-24-13 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin (Post 1304878)
If Gary Payton made it Tony is a shoe-in

Seriously? TP is not in the same class as Payton. Payton was both the best defensive guard in the game and a top 3 pg for almost a decade. He played Jordan better than any player of the era. It's like say TP deserves to get in because Jason Kidd will be a HOF member. TP will deserve it, but he's not in the Gary Payton class yet.

choppsboy 09-24-13 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom32x4 (Post 1304879)
Seriously? TP is not in the same class as Payton. Payton was both the best defensive guard in the game and a top 3 pg for almost a decade. He played Jordan better than any player of the era. It's like say TP deserves to get in because Jason Kidd will be a HOF member. TP will deserve it, but he's not in the Gary Payton class yet.

How many rings does Payton have?

Where was Gary Payton in Game 5 of the 1994 NBA playoffs? Remember when when Robert Pack of the Denver nuggets scored 23 points leading the 8th seed Nuggets over the 1st seed Supersonic? That was Payton's man scoring all those points.

Playing Jordan "better than any player of the era" doesn't mean crap when you still lose.

Payton never took his team to the championship. Tony Parker has done that.

Payton couldn't get the job done where Parker has both internationally and in the NBA.

Tony Parker is way past Gary Payton, and Parker has many years left.

katyspursfan 09-24-13 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1304880)
How many rings does Payton have?

Where was Gary Payton in Game 5 of the 1994 NBA playoffs? Remember when when Robert Pack of the Denver nuggets scored 23 points leading the 8th seed Nuggets over the 1st seed Supersonic? That was Payton's man scoring all those points.

Playing Jordan "better than any player of the era" doesn't mean crap when you still lose.

Payton never took his team to the championship. Tony Parker has done that.

Payton couldn't get the job done where Parker has both internationally and in the NBA.

Tony Parker is way past Gary Payton, and Parker has many years left.

This does seem like a bit of homerism. But, shoot, if you can't be a homer on SR, then where?

You sure have put a lot of weight on championships, but I bet that Tony has none without Duncan. Parker's best years (personal stats-wise) are not any better than Payton's. Payton was a much better defender.

Right now, I think Parker is an even bet to get in to the HOF. The next few years will tip the scales either way. Last year certainly won't hurt.

Kager 09-24-13 06:33 PM

He has a career to be considered, Finals MVP once (would have been twice if we could hit 3 of 4 free throws when it matters..... Pops not the only one that still hurts) rings, international etc.

But again it matters what happens now that he becomes more and more the man, doesn't have to be a ring as such but just no noticeable drop off as TD does.

Flipmode Master 09-24-13 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1304880)
How many rings does Payton have?

Where was Gary Payton in Game 5 of the 1994 NBA playoffs? Remember when when Robert Pack of the Denver nuggets scored 23 points leading the 8th seed Nuggets over the 1st seed Supersonic? That was Payton's man scoring all those points.

Playing Jordan "better than any player of the era" doesn't mean crap when you still lose.

Payton never took his team to the championship. Tony Parker has done that.

Payton couldn't get the job done where Parker has both internationally and in the NBA.

Tony Parker is way past Gary Payton, and Parker has many years left.


Hey dude...I love TP but he can't stand up to the Glove aka Gary Payton now. Not yet anyways...its close...their career numbers are pretty close but in 90's Payton was the MAN. Defensively this man was one of a kind...I got to give him the edge right now.

choppsboy 09-25-13 08:44 AM

IMHO, the hall of fame is all about winning.

It starts with championships
Then leading your team to wins
Then you get into statistics.

The reason is that being a winner is a difficult trait to measure. Tony Parker is a Winner. He has done it at all levels. Gary Payton, as great as his statistics are, failed to win. He didn't get the job done. Some have argued "I bet Tony wouldn't have done it without Tim." Well, you can only speculate. With Gary Payton there is no speculation. He didn't win.

Gary Payton's overall winning percentage pales in comparison to Parkers.

I actually love Gary Payton. I think he deserves to be in the HOF.

I might have overstated how much better TP is than Payton because I am a homer,

But TP has already had a better career than Payton and TP has many years to go. TP deserves to be in the HOF more than Gary Payton.

JuanCaca 09-25-13 01:32 PM

then derek fisher is a lot better than tony parker, chris paul, gary payton, etc... :-/

choppsboy 09-26-13 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanCaca (Post 1304889)
then derek fisher is a lot better than tony parker, chris paul, gary payton, etc... :-/

Bull Crap.

I never said you only look at Championships.

I said;

"It starts with championships
Then leading your team to wins
Then you get into statistics."

Tony Parker lead us to a championship in the '07 finals. He lead the team. Fisher has never lead his team.

Tony Parker is the best player on our team right now. He almost lead us to a championship last season. Fisher has never done that.

And by the way, as the best player on the team, Gary Payton has never been as close to a championship at TP was last season.

doom32x4 09-26-13 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1304899)
Tony Parker lead us to a championship in the '07 finals. He lead the team. Fisher has never lead his team.

Tony Parker is the best player on our team right now. He almost lead us to a championship last season. Fisher has never done that.

And by the way, as the best player on the team, Gary Payton has never been as close to a championship at TP was last season.

First, Parker won the Finals MVP in 07, but Timmy and Manu were better players that year and the team was much more theirs than Parker's. Exhibit A being Parker's benching for George Hill a couple of seasons ago IN THE PLAYOFFS!!! Would Pop have ever benched Timmy at 27 yrs old? Hell, the man stuck with Manu this finals and he still benched Parker most of that playoffs.

Many, many people have argued that the 96' finals would've at least gone to seven if GP had guarded Jordan before game 4. His greatest asset was his defense and he wasn't able to use it until it was too late.

clovisnmspurfan 09-26-13 01:26 PM

He is going to Hall of Fame period.

Uwe Blab 09-26-13 01:43 PM

To answer the question, yes he is going to the Hall of Fame. No question. He would have gone without the Euro championship. When you've been in the MVP conversation for several years and people argue about what place you belong in the top 10 players list, you going to get to the Hall of Fame. Manu will get there too, but he's less of a shoo in, in my opinion, due to his much shorter time frame of elite play, NBA or international.

Flipmode Master 09-27-13 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom32x4 (Post 1304905)
First, Parker won the Finals MVP in 07, but Timmy and Manu were better players that year and the team was much more theirs than Parker's. Exhibit A being Parker's benching for George Hill a couple of seasons ago IN THE PLAYOFFS!!! Would Pop have ever benched Timmy at 27 yrs old? Hell, the man stuck with Manu this finals and he still benched Parker most of that playoffs.

Many, many people have argued that the 96' finals would've at least gone to seven if GP had guarded Jordan before game 4. His greatest asset was his defense and he wasn't able to use it until it was too late.

first off...Manu wasnt better than Parker in 07...i can argue that Manu has never been better than Parker...any year...stat wise...health wise and impact wise...Manu comes through in the playoffs yes but we can count on Parker alllll year. Second Parker didnt get benched for Hill...he was coming off of an injury...you fail to mention that nugget of info.

Uwe Blab 09-27-13 08:47 AM

People seem to remember only the times that Parker may have had a subpar performance in a few games. But they fail to remember that he's been the focus of the offense since 2007, and teams aim to shut him down. Tim has been man-to-man guard-able since then, so teams can afford to clog the lanes and force Tony to shoot or create opportunities, which by the way, he has improved on every year.

InegoMontoya 09-27-13 11:03 AM

Parker is in... even without the Euro 'ship he would be in. He has been one of the 5 best players in the NBA the last 3 years. arguable the best point guard in the NBA the last 3 years, has multiple championships, a finals MVP, was clearly the best player on the team last season in LEADING the team to the finals.

In comparison to the Glove it just depends what you are looking for. Payton was the better athlete, and a much better defender, parker is a much better scorer, a better set up man for the rest of the team and has been a proven player when important games get close... they are totally different players but if I was starting my team, and I had to choose just 1... it would be parker.

kmgospurs 09-27-13 05:35 PM

Quote:

Manu will get there too, but he's less of a shoo in, in my opinion, due to his much shorter time frame of elite play, NBA or international.
Manu gets in on his international resume alone without even considering anything NBA wise. Manu really hasn't done much as far as individual accolades in the NBA so much of his NBA career wouldn't even count towards it.

Quote:

first off...Manu wasnt better than Parker in 07...i can argue that Manu has never been better than Parker...any year...stat wise...health wise and impact wise...Manu comes through in the playoffs yes but we can count on Parker alllll year. Second Parker didnt get benched for Hill...he was coming off of an injury...you fail to mention that nugget of info.
I agree with most of that but during the 2005 playoffs you've got to give it to Manu. Without him stepping up his game we probably don't win it. Oh and that's after Pop played experiment with him and kept going from starter to bench player throughout the playoffs. Thank goodness he went along with that and didn't let it affect his confidence that year. Now Tony has always been the more talented players than Manu(as far as natural talent a lot more players are probably more talented than Manu too). This was always designed to become more of Tony's team and working on developing him as a leader. We just got really lucky Manu got to be as good as he was.

Rzarector7 09-27-13 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom32x4 (Post 1304879)
Seriously? TP is not in the same class as Payton. Payton was both the best defensive guard in the game and a top 3 pg for almost a decade. He played Jordan better than any player of the era. It's like say TP deserves to get in because Jason Kidd will be a HOF member. TP will deserve it, but he's not in the Gary Payton class yet.

Joe Dumars says HI from helping beat MJ 3 times in a row in the playoffs....

Flipmode Master 09-28-13 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzarector7 (Post 1304947)
Joe Dumars says HI from helping beat MJ 3 times in a row in the playoffs....


dude who is the girl in avatar man....WHOA!

doom32x4 09-29-13 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzarector7 (Post 1304947)
Joe Dumars says HI from helping beat MJ 3 times in a row in the playoffs....


Key word, helping. Dumars had Mahorn, Laimbeer, Salley, and Rodman behind him on a great defensive team. With him the lowest Mike averaged against Detroit in the ECF was about 28 pts at over 50% shooting.

Gary Payton had Shawn Kemp, Ervin "No Magic" Johnson,Sam Perkins, and Frank Brickowski behind him...not exactly a stalwart paint crew beyond Kemp and Perkins. In games 4-6 of the 96' finals, the ones in which Karl finally put GP on Mike after going down 3-0 (probably the worst coaching mistake in his career to wait that long), Payton held MJ to about 24pts on 34% shooting along with 3 assists per a game....which is freaking amazing.

I'm not denigrating Parker, he's a better overall offensive player than Payton ever was and a borderline 1st ballot guy if he pads his career stats some more. Payton was an absolute beast in the mid-late 90's though, and he never had Parker's help. The best player GP played with was Kemp, who was a better version of Amare Stoudemire. Otherwise he layed with a young Rashard Lewis and one season with Ray Allen, not exactly 10 years of playing with Tim Duncan and Manu while having Pop as coach.

b1gdon 09-29-13 05:59 PM

Three words: Jo Jo White. Seven time all-star, 2 championships, finals MVP, and he led team USA to a gold in the 1968 Olympics with Spencer Haywood. So, no Parker is not a shoe in for the hall of fame.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0