News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 09-21-13, 12:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Hedo Turkoglu

I will probably be skewered for this suggestion, but how about Hedo for the last roster spot?

The only reason I think he might fit (if he is waived by Orlando and we can get him for the vet min) is that he can handle the ball.

The thing I think we missed the most was players who can dribble and facilitate. Hedo can do that. Especially if he is asked to do it for 8 minutes per game.
Old 09-21-13, 12:31 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm not out to skewer you but the first person that came to mind was Tracy MacGrady. Which one is in worse condition? Seems like a toss up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-21-13, 12:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
I'm not out to skewer you but the first person that came to mind was Tracy MacGrady. Which one is in worse condition? Seems like a toss up.

A couple of differences between the two that I see;

First, McGrady has a lot more wear and tear on him than Hedo. He is much more removed from playing a solid role on an NBA team than Hedo is. I think Hedo just fell out of favor with his team as they decided to go young.

Second, Hedo has played point forward. His best attribute is as a distributor from the forward position. McGrady has never been that. He has been the star of the team. I think it is easier to have a low minute bench role for a player who has the type of career Hedo has than McGrady.

However, I am only making the case for the last roster spot. If we were to find some young guy with some talent that no one ever thought of . . . by all means, sign that guy over Hedo.
Old 09-21-13, 01:51 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

he is 6'10 and has reputation of 3pt range... defenses better stay with him... can still play SF?

years without see him play.. how is he compared to diaw? faster, slower, weaker stronger, better/worse in what...etc..
Old 09-21-13, 01:52 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

[email protected]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-21-13, 03:23 PM
SR Team Goof

Let’s say we sign Hedo --- you can only suit 12 players, so who sits in the stands? Or will that be on a rotational, as required basis too?
Old 09-21-13, 03:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

One thing is that he can play 4 positions. Tall enough to hang on guys like KD, Dirk, Paul George. No way can he cover guys like that, but who can besides Leonard. I'd take him over Bonner and Tony can play off him. Hedo playing PF with Tony, Marco, Leonard and Duncan. The combinations with multiple ball handlers and shooters are endless. And throw Diaw in there... Could be a nice CHEAP addition. Oh yeah, he's familiar with the system.
Old 09-21-13, 04:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I guess you forgot all the confidence issues with him that ended up putting Manu on the bench as a permanent bench player. No thank you.
Old 09-21-13, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Letís say we sign Hedo --- you can only suit 12 players, so who sits in the stands? Or will that be on a rotational, as required basis too?
Hedo and Nando wear suits most of the season.

The only reason I say Nando over Patty mill is I expect patty to be able to play more 2 guard when Belinelli is on the court.
Old 09-21-13, 04:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgospurs View Post
I guess you forgot all the confidence issues with him that ended up putting Manu on the bench as a permanent bench player. No thank you.
I didn't forget. . It is just the last roster spot though.

And we would be asking him to facilitate not chuck 3's.
Old 09-21-13, 04:42 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'll put it this way:
Pretty much the entire Spurs squad is about working to improve their game and staying healthy. We're talking about a guy who let himself go so down hill physically, that he had to sit out half a season in Toronto with the gout.
Old 09-21-13, 06:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

TMac came mind too. If Hedo wants to hang out on the bench in a suit, that's fine by me
Old 09-21-13, 11:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

He got offered 3.5M to play at home in Turkey. Next.
Old 09-22-13, 11:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Does it even matter who is mentioned for the last spot.... No one is good enough, right enough, law abiding enough,tall enough, right position enough or SPUR enough. Just leave the freaking spot open,start the season and roll with what the hell we got!
Old 09-22-13, 01:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Does it even matter who is mentioned for the last spot.... No one is good enough, right enough, law abiding enough,tall enough, right position enough or SPUR enough. Just leave the freaking spot open,start the season and roll with what the hell we got!
+1

Yea, you are probably right.
Old 09-22-13, 02:47 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Yup, I have to agree too. We donít have to be in a hurry to fill that spot just because itís open. Never can tell, after training camp is completed for all teams and we head into the regular season, another team might waive someone who might be fit and be perfect by Spurs standards and then weíd probably wish we hadnít been in a hast to fill that last spot so early. I think we got a good crew right now, letís go with them and see what happens.

Old 09-23-13, 08:45 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

he-dont turkaglu
Old 09-25-13, 10:51 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Yea, I second that emotion.
Old 09-27-13, 03:10 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Might I add that it's time we fill roster spots with players that meet the criteria MrJones identified not only for obvious reasons but to send the message that we are finally done with rehabilitation. If we continue with goat status vets to fill roster spots we will also continue to have to break the bank just to get big name players to even consider the Spurs. Lets face it. It's bad enough as it is. Talent begets talent. Vets beget sympathy(lifetime Spurs excluded).
Old 09-27-13, 05:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPURSGIRL4Life View Post
Might I add that it's time we fill roster spots with players that meet the criteria MrJones identified not only for obvious reasons but to send the message that we are finally done with rehabilitation. If we continue with goat status vets to fill roster spots we will also continue to have to break the bank just to get big name players to even consider the Spurs. Lets face it. It's bad enough as it is. Talent begets talent. Vets beget sympathy(lifetime Spurs excluded).
Very wise observation!!
Old 09-27-13, 08:59 PM
SR Team Goof

Here's something I wasn't aware of -- Turkoglu still under contract?

Magic keep paying Turkoglu to stay away from team

by Kurt Helin, Sep 27, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT

Hedo Turkoglu could make $12 million to sit on his couch this season.

The Orlando Magic can waive him and only have to pay $6 million, but they have until Jan. 10 to make that call. In the mean time they want to keep him around as a potential trade chip, so he is still on the roster.

But that doesnít mean they want him around the team, reports Joshua Robins at the Orlando Sentinel.

Although team officials and Turkogluís camp have not reached a buyout deal, both sides have agreed that Turkoglu will not be with the team when it convenes for the start of training camp Tuesday or at any time after that.

Orlando is going to try to move him up until Jan. 10, then if they havenít they will let him go (or they could agree to a buyout for less than $6 million, if Turkoglu would be amenable). Turkoglu reportedly has an offer waiting to play in his native Turkey this season if he wants it.

Turkoglu was key to Orlandoís 2009 Finals run, but his game has deteriorated sharply since. Last season he broke his hand on opening night, them upon his return in February faced a 20-game league suspension for testing positive for a banned substance (which, of course, he said he took without knowing).

Orlando is trying to rebuild with youth ó guys like Tobias Harris, who plays the four ó and Turkoglu is just not part of the plans.

So he will be paid at least $6 million to sit at home during the day, eat bon bons and watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer reruns. Doesnít sound like that bad a life to me.

Link to article: Magic keep paying Turkoglu to stay away from team | ProBasketballTalk
Old 09-28-13, 04:43 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Thanks for the update alh1020.