SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   ESPN ranks Spurs second-best franchise in sports (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120507-espn-ranks-spurs-second-best-franchise-sports.html)

alh1020 09-18-13 01:47 PM

ESPN ranks Spurs second-best franchise in sports

Just a few months after finishing runner-up to Miami in the Finals, the Spurs are second again.

This time it’s among the 122 professional sports franchises in North America, as rated by ESPN the Magazine in its annual assessment. It’s an unofficial competition the Spurs have long dominated, earning “Franchise of the Decade” honors last year after becoming the only team to finish in the top 10, including twice in first, in each of its first 10 years.

This year, the rankings are:

1. Memphis Grizzlies (NBA)
2. San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
3. Indiana Pacers (NBA)
4. Oklahoma City Thunder (NBA)
5. Green Bay Packers (NFL)
6. Arizona Diamondbacks (MLB)
7. Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL)
8. Anaheim Ducks (NHL)
9. Ottawa Senators (NHL)
10. Baltimore Ravens (NFL)

We’ll have to wait until the issue hits the stands on Friday for the details, particularly how the Grizzlies took first. But previous rankings were based on eight factors: the ratio of victories per revenue; fan relations; ownership; affordability; players; coaching; championship success.

The Spurs, with four titles since 1999, and virtually unmatched consistency, obviously rank high in all those categories. While their tickets to rank among the most expensive in the NBA, they at least offer a premium product that, with at least 50 victories in each of the past 14 seasons, wins year in and year out.

Link to article: Spurs Nation ESPN ranks Spurs second-best franchise in sports

Spurd_On 09-18-13 05:09 PM

Apparently championship success and coaching are not weighted heavily.

b1gdon 09-19-13 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurd_On (Post 1304787)
Apparently championship success and coaching are not weighted heavily.

Grizzlies avg tickets are HALF the price of Spurs tickets ($29 vs $58). Over the years the one thing I haven't appreciated is how much the Spurs have jacked up the price of tickets. I used to go to games regularly , but I don't anymore because it is just too expensive to get decent seats.

exit7 09-19-13 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1gdon (Post 1304797)
Grizzlies avg tickets are HALF the price of Spurs tickets ($29 vs $58). Over the years the one thing I haven't appreciated is how much the Spurs have jacked up the price of tickets. I used to go to games regularly , but I don't anymore because it is just too expensive to get decent seats.

Have you been to any road games?

I found out that its a much better experience. I grew up in San Antonio, but now live in Las Vegas. We went to game 3 of the 2012 playoffs in Utah and had an awesome time. Met several of the players and had a nice 5 minute conversation with Peter Holt about the Mavericks and Thunder.

For my money I would prefer going to a road game.<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->

Mombear 09-19-13 06:12 PM

FBSPN