SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Memphis Grizzlies waive Fab Melo (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120470-memphis-grizzlies-waive-fab-melo.html)

alh1020 08-30-13 07:36 PM

Memphis Grizzlies waive Fab Melo

Just a couple weeks ago, Memphis traded the expiring contract of Donte Greene plus sent some cash to Boston for the rights to Fab Melo.

Friday they waived Melo, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.

Melo was owed $1.3 million this season fully guaranteed, part of his rookie contract. If no team picks ‘Melo up off waivers Memphis will have to eat that salary (and it still counts against their salary cap).

The fact that Memphis is willing to do that rather than let go of Josh Akognon or Willie Reed (guys without fully guaranteed contracts who make less money) speaks to what Memphis thought of Melo. There have been questions about his maturity and his desire to work at his game since he entered the league.

That said, ‘Melo is a 7’0” shot blocking big who could develop into a good NBA defender — last season he was named to the D-League All-Defensive First Team and D-League All-Rookie First Team — so a team may well claim him off waivers. If not, he will land a spot on a minimum contract.

Memphis didn’t really need Melo at center: They start Marc Gasol and now back him up with Kosta Koufos, plus Jon Leuer is the third center on the roster.

Link: Report: Memphis Grizzlies waive Fab Melo | ProBasketballTalk

alh1020 08-30-13 07:40 PM

Might be an interesting pickup. Melo is young and has the raw tools to be something special, if he puts his mind to it. He might have a maturity problem but if the right people mentor and light a fire under him, he might be that diamond in the rough 'big man' we've been looking for. He might be the right project to invest in at minimum rates. If he hits free agency, then the price would probably go up and up. Something I'm sure the Spurs FO might be thinking about. A lot of 'might be's in this guy.

grizzly_bexar 08-30-13 07:51 PM

If we got him, it could turn out to be a better move than acquiring Greg Oden.

esparzar1 08-30-13 08:47 PM

He definitely has the physical tools but the mental aspect is something I would worry about

mckennaspur1 08-30-13 08:53 PM

Gotta believe that someone will pick up his waiver before the Spurs even get a shot at him.

If the Spurs do get a chance, sending the kid to the Toros for some corporate indoctrination might be a good idea.

alh1020 08-30-13 09:11 PM

I did happen to see him play a game while he was with the Boston's D-league squad, the Maine Red Claws and Melo recorded a triple double (15 pts, 16 rebs and 14 blocks in 37 mins). Those 14 blocks either tied or established a D-league record. He definitely has the ability, it's just that he needs a mentor and somebody to help develop and coach him. I have to agree with Griz above, this might be a better acquisition than Oden, but will he reach the Spurs in the waiver process.

Spurd_On 08-30-13 10:49 PM

According to all scouting reports I have read, his game is not and never will be suited to an up tempo team. That's all I needed to hear.

Guapo 08-31-13 12:50 PM

He's a seven foot project. Do we really need one of those?

clovisnmspurfan 08-31-13 05:21 PM

Just his name is worth a look.

b1gdon 08-31-13 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guapo (Post 1304597)
He's a seven foot project. Do we really need one of those?

You mean ANOTHER one of those.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/nba/teams...baynes_300.jpg

Guapo 09-01-13 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1gdon (Post 1304601)

Exactly!

Kager 09-01-13 07:30 AM

Two teams with decent records at bringing players on line dumped him to the curb even though it cost them..... I don't see a future here.

choppsboy 09-01-13 12:21 PM

We do not need a project C or PF. We already have 6 PF/C's - That is 3 deep at the PF and C position.

Duncan
Splitter
Diaw
Bonner
Baynes
Pendergraph

We need an actual backup SF. We are 1 deep at that position - Leonard!

Spurd_On 09-01-13 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1304609)
We do not need a project C or PF. We already have 6 PF/C's - That is 3 deep at the PF and C position.

Duncan
Splitter
Diaw
Bonner
Baynes
Pendergraph

We need an actual backup SF. We are 1 deep at that position - Leonard!

In the traditional sense yes. But I see Diaw in there at times against beefy matchups. I also read an article that suggests that with Belinelli, the Spurs may use Belinelli and Manu distributing and on the floor at the same time with Patty Mills at the SG.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->

choppsboy 09-01-13 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurd_On (Post 1304611)
In the traditional sense yes. But I see Diaw in there at times against beefy matchups. I also read an article that suggests that with Belinelli, the Spurs may use Belinelli and Manu distributing and on the floor at the same time with Patty Mills at the SG.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->

So are you suggesting that we should get Fab Melo rather than a back-up SF because some of our PF's or SG's can be backup SF's?

OK then,

When does Fab Melo get on the court? Who's minutes does he take?

At least if we signed a SF, that player would have some chance of getting on the court.

No matter how you slice it, we have 3 centers, 3 power forwards, and 1 Small Forward. We don't need a 4th Center/Power forward unless he is good enough to replace the minutes one of our current guys would take. I don't see Fab Melo getting minutes over last two guys on our depth chart (Pendergraph and Baynes).

Spurd_On 09-01-13 10:00 PM

So are you suggesting that we should get Fab Melo rather than a back-up SF because some of our PF's or SG's can be backup SF's?

No. I'm simply suggesting what the Spurs might do if they stand pat and don't acquire another SF.

OK then,

OK what? I never replied until just now :)

He doesn't come to the team or take anyone's minutes. Read my first post in this thread. He doesn't fit with this team.

At least if we signed a SF, that player would have some chance of getting on the court.

Yes. There just might not be a suitable one left and the Spurs may improvise.

choppsboy 09-02-13 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurd_On (Post 1304615)

No. I'm simply suggesting what the Spurs might do if they stand pat and don't acquire another SF.

OK then,

OK what? I never replied until just now :)

He doesn't come to the team or take anyone's minutes. Read my first post in this thread. He doesn't fit with this team.

Yes. There just might not be a suitable one left and the Spurs may improvise.

OOOhh.

Sorry. I thought you were continuing the argument that we should sign Fab Melo.

Ultimately I agree that we should just leave the spot open. You never know who is going to get injured.

Dulce 09-02-13 10:19 PM

He's probably going to Miami.