News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-13, 09:31 AM
SR Team Goof

New Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer arrested, charged with DUI

Mike Budenholzer, hired by the Hawks three months ago, has just made a terrible early impression in Atlanta.

Mike Morris of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
A trooper stopped Budenholzer for having no tail lights, according to the State Patrol. The trooper detected an odor of alcohol, administered a field sobriety test, then placed Budenholzer under arrest.

Budenholzer refused a breath test, a State Patrol spokesman said.

A spokesman for the Atlanta City Jail told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Budenholzer, 44, was charged with DUI and a tail light violation, and was released on $1,524 bond at 3:45 a.m. Thursday.
Itís expected Nets coach Jason Kidd will be suspended two games for his DWI, and Budenholzer will likely receive the same fate. As he should. Thereís no excuse for Budenholzer to endanger others on the road.

Budenholzer came to the Hawks after being an assistant in San Antonio, where Spurs general manager R.C. Buford was arrested for DUI in 2011. Iím not one to rush to assign blame to an organization Ė Budenholzerís issues are his issues, and Bufordís issues are his issues Ė but if youíre the type to judge athletes for being collectively out of control after a couple legal incidents, itís only fair to examine the Spurs organization and question whether its culture tolerates drinking and driving.

Unfortunately, how this incident fits the narrative of Budenholzerís tenure with the Hawks will probably be retroactively determined. If he wins, he overcame early personal challenges. If he loses, he just never had it together.

Link to story: Report: New Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer arrested, charged with DUI | ProBasketballTalk
Old 08-29-13, 10:37 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Wow. That is almost unbelievable for Coach Bud to have...

Coach Bud will be okay and AT Hawks FO will prob have him suspended for one or 2 games.

Hey If RC Buford survived one, Coach Bud sure as heck will survive one too.
Old 08-29-13, 12:04 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Maybe he'll be suspended for the first half of the first game of the season.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-29-13, 12:13 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

These guys all need to take a lesson from Pop and put a wine cellar in their homes.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-29-13, 12:51 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Bud, Bud, Bud we did your best to raise you the right way and then what happens, you run off and get a new job in the big city and starts partying and get yourself in trouble, my, my .
Old 08-29-13, 02:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

All that is..... It was a release from the iron grip on Pop. It's like getting out of prison and wanting to have a good time. He had a good time, got caught and we'll never here another bad thing from him regarding the law. Wonder if he called Pop? Or maybe he was with Pop and Pop and escaped in the alley away from the Po-Po!
Old 08-29-13, 06:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

So driving a car with no tail lights is having fun? I read another report that states after being released he went straight to a hospital and had a test administered which read under the legal amount to be considered DUI.
Perhaps we need to wait till we get both sides of the story? Then form an opinion.
Old 08-29-13, 07:05 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
So driving a car with no tail lights is having fun? I read another report that states after being released he went straight to a hospital and had a test administered which read under the legal amount to be considered DUI.
Perhaps we need to wait till we get both sides of the story? Then form an opinion.
It's an old trick to delay the breath and or blood test as much as possible. It could have been hours until he got tested. The body is breaking down the alcohol. If he didn't want to consent or give the breath test with the cop why agree to it later on? The results will be different of course. Now in some cases depending on how much he drank......it's actually worse for the person to hold off.(example a binge drinker because it's still rising versus going down) I know if a cop wants you to fail the FST..........he can make it too hard for Bud to pass. Refusing the breath test....you better be perfect because there is video and audio showing other wise. Being exposed to previous military police squadron work..........I have to side with them not Bud. If someone has nothing to hide.........take the breath test. Refusing it is a huge red flag and they will make you pay for not taking it. Just some friendly advice from Uncle WILL lol.

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 08-29-13 at 07:45 PM. Reason: word left out
Old 08-29-13, 07:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
It's an old trick to delay the breath and or blood test as much as possible. It could have hours until he got tested. The body is breaking down the alcohol. If he didn't want to consent or give the breath test with the cop why agree to it later on? The results will be different of course. Now in some cases depending on how much he drank......it's actually worse for the person to hold off.(example a binge drinker because it's still rising versus going down) I know if a cop wants you to fail the FST..........he can make it too hard for Bud to pass. Refusing the breath test....you better be perfect because there is video and audio showing other wise. Being exposed to previous military police squadron work..........I have to side with them not Bud. If someone has nothing to hide.........take the breath test. Refusing it is a huge red flag and they will make you pay for not taking it. Just some friendly advice from Uncle WILL lol.
You make good points and in the end will probably be proved right. I am just saying lets get all the evidence then hang him.
Old 08-29-13, 07:44 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
You make good points and in the end will probably be proved right. I am just saying lets get all the evidence then hang him.
I agree but if what I'm reading is true......turning down the initial breath test and failing the FST with video and nowadays they have officer audio not just dash cam audio..........I wouldn't want to be Coach Bud right now. I normally side with the evidence police or not. Bottom line he failed the test. He should have refused that too. If you refuse......refuse everything not just one test. You will still go to jail but taking half of it makes no sense if you are innocent.
Old 08-29-13, 09:03 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Smartest thing he did was refuse the breath test. Good luck getting those charges to stick now.

Dumbest thing he did was get behind the wheel drunk.

He has a bunch of kids and put not only his own life at risk but also risked countless others.
Old 08-29-13, 09:28 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
Smartest thing he did was refuse the breath test. Good luck getting those charges to stick now.

Dumbest thing he did was get behind the wheel drunk.

He has a bunch of kids and put not only his own life at risk but also risked countless others.
Smart choice but refuse the FST too if that's your choice. Don't just pick and choose which test you want to do. Do them all or just refuse. Again if not guilty take it. He showed a lot of doubt by not taking it the first time.
Old 08-30-13, 02:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Well I guess it is not our problem anymore since he is no longer a Spur.
Old 08-31-13, 10:34 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Wow, I'm surprised the writer tried to link it with the spurs organization.

On another note, I've been a member since 2002 and still a rookie ..

Last edited by Orly; 08-31-13 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-31-13, 03:18 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
All that is..... It was a release from the iron grip on Pop. It's like getting out of prison and wanting to have a good time. He had a good time, got caught and we'll never here another bad thing from him regarding the law. Wonder if he called Pop? Or maybe he was with Pop and Pop and escaped in the alley away from the Po-Po!

I'm gonna go with this explanation...

Old 08-31-13, 03:19 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orly View Post
Wow, I'm surprised the writer tried to link it with the spurs organization.

On another note, I've been a member since 2002 and still a rookie ..

Did you know you can change your title???? check your USER CP and do it there.

Old 09-01-13, 09:58 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
Did you know you can change your title???? check your USER CP and do it there.
Thanks. Will look into it.