News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-13, 02:13 PM
SR Team Goof

Report: Spurs to workout Josh Childress

HoopsHype @hoopshype
Josh Childress will work out for the Cavaliers and Spurs over the next two weeks, agent Chris Emens told HoopsHype.

Written by Jeff Garcia on .

The San Antonio Spurs continue their summer work in the hopes of adding the right pieces heading into next season and according to Hoops Hype, the Spurs are set to workout guard/forward Josh Childress.

Childress played with the Nets last season in 14 games and averaged 5 points, and 5.4 rebounds. He is 29 years old and was drafted by the Hawks in the 2004 NBA Draft.

Aside from the Nets, Josh has played with the Suns and Hawks and spent two years (2008-2010) playing in Greece before returning to the NBA in the 2010-11 season with the Suns.

The Spurs have one roster spot left (15th spot) and with the amount of guards already on the roster, it is not surprising the team is looking at a forward like Childress. He is a versatile player and could relieve Kawhi Leonard on the court.

For his NBA career, Josh has averaged 9.2 points, 4.8 rebounds, and shot 53 percent.

Link to article: Report: Spurs to workout Josh Childress | August | 2013 Articles
Old 08-27-13, 02:46 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Wouldn't be a bad pick-up..not at all.

I'm Batman's cousin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-27-13, 03:22 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

He'd be a nice addition, but let me go ahead and get my cynical self out of the way ---
Headline - Childress signs with Cavaliers - "I'm excited about getting a chance to play with a young up and coming team like the Cavs and I'll get more face time on espn and tv with them then the Spurs."
Old 08-27-13, 03:43 PM
SR Team Goof

Michael -- If your cynicism were to come true, he probably would get some face timeÖ..while sitting on the bench. I have to admit, the Cavs do have a nice young crew on board there in Bennett, Clark, Karasev, Thompson and Zeller, but I think his defensive skills would be more appreciated by the Spurs. And he needs to work on a better shot delivery when he does shoot ---- I swear, he and Shaun Marion must have had the same teacher. But if Childress wants to flip that coin and maybe head to Cleveland, lots of ruck dude. Personally, I think the Spurs are still trolling the waters, looking for that surprise catch.
Old 08-27-13, 04:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
He'd be a nice addition, but let me go ahead and get my cynical self out of the way ---
Headline - Childress signs with Cavaliers - "I'm excited about getting a chance to play with a young up and coming team like the Cavs and I'll get more face time on espn and tv with them then the Spurs."
He worked out for New Orleans 2 days ago also. So now the Spurs are "In the Mix" which is like saying he is not coming to the Spurs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-27-13, 08:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
He already played for Cleveland.
Old 08-27-13, 10:25 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Ehhhhhhhh where has he been.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 08-28-13, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
He already played for Cleveland.
No he didn't. According to basketball reference he's played for Atlanta, Phoenix and Brooklyn
Old 08-28-13, 08:46 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Childress can possibly help our Spurs with his good perimeter defense with his quickness and rebounding. He could be a cool addition!
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 08-28-13, 10:51 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

how accurate is this??

What Happened to Josh Childress?

7/29/13
Remember when the Stanford Cardinal had a superior talent in a 6'8'' winger (6'10'' if you count the 'fro)? He was so highly touted, coming out of college he was drafted 6th overall by the Atlanta Hawks in the same draft they took Josh Smith 17th overall.

A promising future for a team that was looking to establish a future. Josh Childress was a slashing wing who had proven to his coaches to be a superior defender who can line up against multiple positions. He was also athletically gifted to the point where GM's were salivating at the opportunity to snatch this guy.

Jan. 28, 2012; Phoenix, AZ, USA; Phoenix Suns guard/forward Josh Childress against the Memphis Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay at the US Airways Center. The Suns defeated the Grizzlies 86-84. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY SportsApparently, Childress thought so highly of himself that when the Hawks failed to provide him with a contract he felt was 'fair market value' for his talents, he inexplicably bolted the NBA for not-so-greener-pastures of the Olympiacos in Greece, who signed him to a 3-year $20 million deal, which also came with a house and a car. The deal was actually worth $32.5 million, but net worth (after taxes, agent fees) was $20 million. The deal he turned down from the Hawks was 5 years $33 million (gross), which was far less than his Olympiacos offer.

His adjustment to the Euroleague didn't go as planned as he averaged a mere 8.8 points and 4.6 boards. He turned down the opportunity to return, citing many specific downfalls of life in the Euroleague: concerns with getting paid, difference in coaching styles, and lower standards of travel compared to the NBA. It seems as though this Stanford student failed to do his research before making a rash life decision.

But that's neither here nor there - because not only did he leave the house and car he received in Greece, he also left his game. Since then, Childress has been a sad story of a waste of talent. After the Suns foolishly signed him to a 3 year $21 million deal, they used the amnesty clause on him not long after. He was then scooped by the Brooklyn Nets on September 13, 2012 only to be waived two and a half months later.

At age 30, who realistically will give him a shot at real redemption? Sure, he'll get a minimum contract, but his game left his body Space Jam style - but Michael Jordan hasn't been able to get Childress his game back just yet.
Old 08-28-13, 01:12 PM

Not sure how much credence we should place on his play for the Suns, they pretty much stunk while he was there; in fact they pretty much stink all the time now but 2010 was when Kerr left the organization and they really started going down the toilet. Brooklyn was a chaotic mess last year without a lot of direction.

As long as he realizes he's going to be a second unit player who only needs to score a little bit, grab some rebounds and play defense IMHO he'd be a nice addition
Old 08-28-13, 02:00 PM
SR Team Goof

If the Spurs do decide to open the door to Childress, it will be up to him to walk thru that door and to regain his self esteem and confidence to play again to his potential.
Old 08-28-13, 07:34 PM
Herman Cain of the board

can't shoot at all. please pass.
Old 08-29-13, 05:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sorry, but I have to agree w/a few others. Pass... his time has come and gone since he came back from playing overseas. He is horrible now.
Old 08-29-13, 08:06 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

The Spurs have always liked Childress but could never afford him. Plus he is repped by the same agent that reps Duncan. I think this deal gets done and Child ress will be a great pickup for the team.
Old 08-30-13, 12:37 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Hell yes!!!!!!! In a heartbeat I'd take Childress. Besides back-up PG, back-up SF is a glaring weakness. He could play 12-15 min spot up time for Kawhi and be a great solid addition to our bench. Make it happen RC and Pop!!!!