SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Spurs financial health (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120453-spurs-financial-health.html)

choppsboy 08-23-13 02:14 PM

Spurs financial health

HERE is the Bleacher Report Article.

Evaluating the Financial Health of Every NBA Team After the Offseason
BY ADAM FROMAL (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON AUGUST 21, 2013
44,331 reads 61 Icon_comment
SHARE TWEET
Previous 28 of 32 Next
San Antonio Spurs
Hi-res-7456410_crop_650 Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports
Money Committed: $24,977,500

Contracts Expiring: Boris Diaw (unrestricted), Matt Bonner (unrestricted), Nando De Colo (restricted), Patty Mills (unrestricted), Aron Baynes (restricted)

Player Options: Tim Duncan ($10,000,000)

Team Options: Kawhi Leonard ($2,894,059), Cory Joseph ($2,023,261)

Non-Guaranteed Salaries: Tony Parker ($12,500,000)

Potential Maximum Committed: $52,394,820

The 2014 offseason will be all about Tim Duncan.

There are two options for the Big Fundamental, and neither involves picking up his player option. He's either going to retire and free up all $10 million for the San Antonio Spurs or opt out of his contract and take a massive pay cut in order to let the franchise bring in even more talent.

Let's say that he cuts his salary in half and signs a one-year deal for $5 million, just for the sake of the argument.

Kawhi Leonard, Cory Joseph and Tony Parker will all be coming back as well. Parker's contract may as well be guaranteed.

If all that happens, the Spurs will have only $47,394,820 on the books, more than enough to sign another eight-figure-per-year player. You know, because this organization totally needs to add more talent in order to stay competitive.

Does anyone know how R.C. Buford does it?

esparzar1 08-25-13 05:33 AM

What I still don't get is why is everyone one ( including this article) think that Cory Joseph will be back? Why is everyone on his jock? I don't get it, what has he truly shown us? I don't mind him but he's not the answer to our back up pg problem and the finals was a prime example of it.

choppsboy 08-25-13 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esparzar1 (Post 1304491)
What I still don't get is why is everyone one ( including this article) think that Cory Joseph will be back? Why is everyone on his jock? I don't get it, what has he truly shown us? I don't mind him but he's not the answer to our back up pg problem and the finals was a prime example of it.

He has shown a lot of promise as a defensive PG, and he is only 22 years old.

At 22 he has played better than Nando De Colo (4 years older) and Patty Mills (3 years older) who both have a lot more experience.

Just because there are suggestions that the Spurs will look to re-sign Joseph after his rookie contract is over doesn't mean everyone is "on his jock."

What the hell does that mean anyway?

esparzar1 08-25-13 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1304496)
He has shown a lot of promise as a defensive PG, and he is only 22 years old.

At 22 he has played better than Nando De Colo (4 years older) and Patty Mills (3 years older) who both have a lot more experience.

Just because there are suggestions that the Spurs will look to re-sign Joseph after his rookie contract is over doesn't mean everyone is "on his jock."

What the hell does that mean anyway?

What promise?????? Rotating from the d league to bench every 10 games??? He hasn't shown anything yet. I personally don't like any of our backup point guards. If he's our best option than the spurs are in a world of hurt next year. Like I said, I don't mind the kid but he hasn't shown anything yet. People on this site love his "potential" and his "promise"..screw that, we need to win NOW!!!!............anyways, I'm just frustrated and ready for the damn season to start

katyspursfan 08-26-13 05:18 PM

Joseph's team option will be picked up.
He's making $2M next year. He's not an injury waiting to happen (Mahinmi) or an injury waiting to be cleared to play (Oden).

The dude asked to go to the D-League to get some playing time. He's looking to get better. Maybe a trip to the Finals helps. His defense is adequate, and he's on a rookie contract. Did I mention that he's only going to make $2M next year?

Just because a guy's on a cheap rookie contract and hasn't immediately cracked the rotation on a team that made the Finals doesn't mean he sucks.
It means the team will pick up the option.

edit: and by 'next year', I mean the team option year. '14-'15.