SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   DeJuan Blair to be Mavs enforcer?? (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120449-dejuan-blair-mavs-enforcer.html)

alh1020 08-22-13 02:27 AM

DeJuan Blair to be Mavs enforcer??

DeJuan Blair, Mavericks enforcer? It’s what Carlisle wants

Rick Carlisle wants the Dallas Mavericks to be tougher this season.

The man for the job is… DeJuan Blair?

Coach Rick Carlisle says so, speaking at Blair’s introductory press conference, as reported by ESPNDallas.com.
“DeJuan was a really important acquisition for us because Elton Brand didn’t return,” Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said. “We need that physical (butt)-kicker to put out there and be an enforcer for us.”
Make no mistake, Blair is physical and plays tough inside. I’m not sure I’d go with enforcer, but he’ll bring a physical presence. He and Samuel Dalembert will have to be the tough guys in the paint.

Dallas is counting on Blair to grab boards — which he does well, on his career he has a rebound rate 17.8 percent (percent of rebounds he grabs when on the court) — and play defense. Blair is a good if somewhat undersized defender.

With a team that has Dirk Nowitzki and Shawn Marion, plus guys like Monta Ellis and Vince Carter not exactly known for their defense, it’s going to take some big play inside to balance that out.

We’ll see if Blair can live up to that standard.

Link: DeJuan Blair, Mavericks enforcer? It?s what Carlisle wants | ProBasketballTalk

alh1020 08-22-13 02:30 AM

Cuban expects Blair to punish the Spurs

Posted on August 21, 2013 at 3:21 pm by Dan McCarney

Dallas owner Mark Cuban has never tried to hide it: He despises the Spurs.

So it probably shouldn’t have come as any surprise that discarded power forward DeJuan Blair ended up with the Mavericks, providing him an opportunity to stick it to his old team four times per season.

Not only is Blair pumped up about it, Cuban can’t wait.

“DeJuan already knows when we’re playing the Spurs,” he told ESPN.com. “We already know what DeJuan is going to do to the Spurs. It’s going to be a beautiful thing.”

That comes on the heels of Blair’s assertion that the Spurs wouldn’t have lost to Miami in the Finals if he’d played more, and pegging the Spurs as his most-anticipated opponent during his introductory press conference.

Blair started 140 games during his first three campaigns with the Spurs before his playing time all but vanished last season. It’s somewhat telling that he languished on the free agent market for weeks until the Mavs picked him up for the veteran’s minimum of less than $1 million.

Suffice to say, the Spurs probably aren’t staying up at night worrying about Blair’s wrath.

Story link: Spurs Nation » Cuban expects Blair to punish the Spurs

Spurd_On 08-22-13 08:23 AM

Cuban is a promoter and the P T Barnum of the NBA. I look at this as more smack from Cuban to hike up interest amongst fans. In my opinion, if the Mavs or any other team truly thought that Blair would be an impact player, then Blair would be drawing a higher salary. I wish DeJuan the best and hope he gets the minutes he is looking for. I also hope that when the Spurs play the Mavs that his shots will be blocked and that the Spurs bigs will be able to make passes to each other over his outstretched arms.

grizzly_bexar 08-22-13 11:05 AM

Dejuan never was a physical enforcer for us, so I don't see that happening with him playing alongside a team of softies.

clovisnmspurfan 08-22-13 04:54 PM

Blair was a starter for us and contributed overall. We just had better players last year. I wish him well.

grizzly_bexar 08-22-13 06:30 PM

I wish him well too. But anyone who calls him an enforcer doesn't understand what kind of player he is.

WILLTHETHRILL 08-22-13 06:32 PM

his rapping is more hard than his "enforcer" play

Spurd_On 08-22-13 07:01 PM

If we do see him in the unlikely roll of enforcer then there is something seriously wrong with Rick Carlisle's coaching.

Mombear 08-22-13 07:27 PM

Like Steve Spriester from KSAT-12 said... "Has he seen DeJuan play?"

smh

tenthousandaces 08-22-13 08:26 PM

I don't see him pushing around the likes of Duncan, Splitter or Baynes. Or even Pendergraph. I just don't see it happening.

Just keep Bonner out of the Mavs game and we'll be fine.

clovisnmspurfan 08-22-13 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenthousandaces (Post 1304463)
I don't see him pushing around the likes of Duncan, Splitter or Baynes. Or even Pendergraph. I just don't see it happening.

Just keep Bonner out of the Mavs game and we'll be fine.

I don't know, Bonner did some pushing last year in the finals. Give credit where credit is due.

Uwe Blab 08-22-13 10:13 PM

He be better served to become a Reggie Evans type player. He can make a living doing that in the NBA. And I don't know why people are downplaying his skills. He DOES have a knack for finding the ball, if not actually grabbing the rebound, then being a disruption under the basket by knocking it around.

grizzly_bexar 08-22-13 10:59 PM

I'm not questioning his skills. But he's just not a Reggie Evans type of player. He doesn't shove people around.

choppsboy 08-22-13 11:15 PM

These guys must be on drugs. Blair is a horrible defender. The only guy he ever muscled around was Hasheem Thabeet, and Thabeet sucks.

Blair did not play good for us. He has some games where he scored some points and grabbed some boards, but he was our weakest link. The idea that he will provide Dallas with defense is great. I can't wait until we play them and beat the crap out of them.

grizzly_bexar 08-22-13 11:34 PM

He is a decent player. He has a soft touch around the basket. He can grab rebounds and score. However, his rebound rate has gone down over his career. He was among the top in the league he started. Now he's just above average.

And while he is in energetic and quick defender for a big man, he is undersized, gets himself out of position, and overall makes us a worse defensive team. He's not a bruiser even though he is big and does throw his weight around, he doesn't really intimidate anyone.

choppsboy 08-23-13 12:57 AM

I wouldn't say he is even a decent player. A decent player would have been worth something in a trade.

A decent player would get more than a 1 year contract at the vet minimum, especially for a "decent player" who is only 24 years old.

He sucks. He won't be in the league in 2 years.

tenthousandaces 08-23-13 06:42 AM

He is a decent player. He has an above-average PER and he was a solid contributor to a Spurs lineup that won a lot of games.

I just don't think that he'll be able to embarrass Duncan and Splitter when they match up. But maybe he can...

grizzly_bexar 08-23-13 10:57 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if he does have some surprisingly effective games against us. The problem was always that with him you could either get two fouls three turnovers no points no rebounds in five minutes, or 12 points 10 rebounds and block in 15 minutes. There was rarely anything in between.

choppsboy 08-23-13 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar (Post 1304473)
I wouldn't be surprised if he does have some surprisingly effective games against us. The problem was always that with him you could either get two fouls three turnovers no points no rebounds in five minutes, or 12 points 10 rebounds and block in 15 minutes. There was rarely anything in between.

Even when he did get 12 points, 10 rebounds, and a block in 15 minutes, he would end up a -10 +/- due to his matador defense.

PER doesn't account for how badly you get owned on defense.

tenthousandaces 08-24-13 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1304476)
Even when he did get 12 points, 10 rebounds, and a block in 15 minutes, he would end up a -10 +/- due to his matador defense.

PER doesn't account for how badly you get owned on defense.

That may be the case, but you are *wrong about Blair's +/- ratings.

In fact, Blair consistently had decent to solid +/- scores.

Look at the game logs.

choppsboy 08-24-13 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenthousandaces (Post 1304484)
That may be the case, but you are *wrong about Blair's +/- ratings.

In fact, Blair consistently had decent to solid +/- scores.

Look at the game logs.

First off, when a team leads the league (or is in the top 3) in margin of victory, EVERY player on that team has a high +/-. DeJuan Blair's +/- has been consistently the worst +/- on the team, only marginally above Richard Jefferson. Not only did I look at the box scores and compare his relative to the team every night, but I watched every game. I watched as he missed rotation after rotation.

Secondly,
The Spurs defense started getting better when Blair was finally replaced in the starting lineup by Tiago. Once Tiago got into the lineup, the Spurs started climbing from average to near the top of the league in FG% allowed.

That was not a coincidence.

If he was a "decent" player in the NBA, he would have earned more than a 1 year deal for the league minimum.

clovisnmspurfan 08-25-13 02:33 PM

At this point, what does it matter?