News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-21-13, 11:16 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

What to Expect from Jeff Pendergraph

We have a reasonable idea of what Belinelli can bring to the Spurs because we have seen him play. However who is this Jeff Pendergraph that the Spurs bothered to sign after having played almost 0 minutes in his short NBA career?

Because he has so few NBA minutes, I thought it reasonable to study what the scouts thought about him going into the draft. How did a guy that was the 31st pick in the second round and has not hardly played any minutes in the NBA capture the attention of the Spurs besides the fact that the new Spurs assistant coach recommends him?

In all most all aspects of the fundamentals of the game that you can think of and in quickness, athleticism, intelligence both on and off the court and in his character and attitude he gets very high marks. His weak points, at least at draft time, included the following:

1). Does not have an arsenal of low post moves and is very predictable and easy to defend there both by guards and bigs that are taller.

2). Although quick down the court and without the ball, he does not have the lateral quickness to defend the perimeter.

3). Although extremely efficient at scoring, he mostly defers to his team mates and considers himself a 4th or 5th option.

4). Does not create his own shot. He will shoot if open though.

5). Needs work in ball handling skills and moving with the ball.

6). A quick leaper which gets him offensive rebounds but not much of a vertical lift which translates into very few blocks. He does have a good wingspan.

There is no telling what he has worked on since then but this is where he was at coming out of ASU. He did not get to the foul line very often which may say something about his aggressiveness but did shoot 79% when he was there.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 08-21-13 at 12:27 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-21-13, 01:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
We have a reasonable idea of what Belinelli can bring to the Spurs because we have seen him play. However who is this Jeff Pendergraph that the Spurs bothered to sign after having played almost 0 minutes in his short NBA career?

Because he has so few NBA minutes, I thought it reasonable to study what the scouts thought about him going into the draft. How did a guy that was the 31st pick in the second round and has not hardly played any minutes in the NBA capture the attention of the Spurs besides the fact that the new Spurs assistant coach recommends him?

In all most all aspects of the fundamentals of the game that you can think of and in quickness, athleticism, intelligence both on and off the court and in his character and attitude he gets very high marks. His weak points, at least at draft time, included the following:

1). Does not have an arsenal of low post moves and is very predictable and easy to defend there both by guards and bigs that are taller.

2). Although quick down the court and without the ball, he does not have the lateral quickness to defend the perimeter.

3). Although extremely efficient at scoring, he mostly defers to his team mates and considers himself a 4th or 5th option.

4). Does not create his own shot. He will shoot if open though.

5). Needs work in ball handling skills and moving with the ball.

6). A quick leaper which gets him offensive rebounds but not much of a vertical lift which translates into very few blocks. He does have a good wingspan.

There is no telling what he has worked on since then but this is where he was at coming out of ASU. He did not get to the foul line very often which may say something about his aggressiveness but did shoot 79% when he was there.
All of those weaknesses are skills which a seemingly hard working and intelligent player should be able to learn especially one who supposedly has so many physical gifts. Thing is, if he is so intelligent and hard working wouldn't we have seen it by now? The guy has been in the NBA for 4 years and has been active for 3. My general rule of thumb is that a player usually peaks at around age 27, so going into year 26, and having not seen much, my expectations are pretty low.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-21-13, 03:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

He does good interviews!!
Old 08-21-13, 04:29 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I expect good man to man and rotational defense, good rebounding, and for him to hit open midrange jump shots. That's it.
Old 08-21-13, 07:05 PM
SR Team Goof

Here's a story by Jason Price (Project Spurs) with a link to his story below:

Pendergraph: Energy, hustle and a high IQ

Written by Jason Price on Monday, 19 August 2013 15:00.

As the newest addition to the San Antonio Spurs, Jeff Pendergraph brings a certain dynamic to the game with his hustle and energy. Pendergraph comes over from the Indiana Pacers who had nothing but good things to say about him.

In a good piece by Ken Rodriguez, Pendergraph and the Pacers talked about what he brings to a team.

The thing people dont know about Jeff Pendergraph is that hes got an extraordinary basketball IQ," former Coach Frank Vogel says. "Hes like an assistant coach out there, in every practice and every film session. Hes coaching everybody. He sees everything and really, really understands the game.

IQ is probably the biggest part of my game, Pendergraph says. Being on the sideline a lot, you have to watch a lot of stuff. If Im not the one out there playing, I make sure the ones who are are doing the right thing. I try to communicate with them. Thats a part of my game Ive worked hard to develop. Im always asking coaches questions. What about this play? What about that play? I try to communicate on both ends of the floor and help my teammates get better.

Also the newest addition to the Spurs coaching staff, Jim Boylen, was a big influence in bringing over Pendergraph from the Pacers.

Boylen was my workout coach in Indiana. We worked out every day. We went out to eat together. It was awesome. Its really cool to have him here. I could talk to him about anything going on -- about my game, about my playing time. He always had an open ear and gave me advice. He didnt tell me what I wanted to hear but what I needed to hear.

Pendergraph not only brings over his hard-nosed game, but also his pregame antics.

He unleashes a series of shimmies and shakes, jumps and bumps -- all improvisational -- that defy description. I dont know what to call it, he says. Its just crazy.

I like to get everybody hyped up and ready to go but Im not going to force it in San Antonio. If the team is not ready for it, Ill just have to figure out another way to contribute.

Spurs fans can be ready to see a player who doesnt mind getting in the mix down low. His toughness and physicality off the bench will be embraced by a team that plays more of a finesse style.

Story link: Pendergraph: Energy, hustle and a high IQ
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Old 08-21-13, 07:11 PM
SR Team Goof

And here's the story by Ken Rodriguez mentioned above which appears on the Spurs website:

Sweet Package of Energy and IQ

Jeff Pendergraph didnt score a lot of points for Indiana last season. He didnt get a ton of minutes. He never started a game.

But all the players looked up to him, and the coaches considered him an assistant on the floor. Say hello to an intriguing 6-foot-9 addition in Silver and Black. Leadership and energy are two reasons the Spurs like Pendergraph. Basketball IQ is another.

In Indiana, Pendergraph was a one-man pep rally, the Pacer most likely to combust before tip-off, the player with enough energy to light up Bankers Life Fieldhouse by himself.

In the vast catalogue of pre-game NBA rituals, Tim Duncan cradling a ball to his chin is perhaps the most understated, LeBron James tossing chalk in the air the most theatrical. The wildest routine might belong to Pendergraph. He unleashes a series of shimmies and shakes, jumps and bumps -- all improvisational -- that defy description. I dont know what to call it, he says. Its just crazy.

Do not misunderstand. Pendergraph does not hop, twist and gyrate to draw fan attention to himself. He cuts loose to energize teammates. As Indianas Orlando Johnson explained to USA Today, It ties in everything we go through and what coach preaches. Pendy just loses it. Its not scripted. Its all from the heart.

More story at the link below.

Link to the whole story: Sweet Package of Energy and IQ | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Old 08-21-13, 08:33 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
I expect good man to man and rotational defense, good rebounding, and for him to hit open midrange jump shots. That's it.
So he's already better than Splitter.
Old 08-23-13, 08:06 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

spurs trying to develope zach randolph, amare, lebron (when posting up) and similar bulky fast players stopper?
Old 08-24-13, 03:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

He has the IQ (and restraint) needed in the 2nd unit, that Dejuan Blair lacked, while Aron Baynes makes up for the beastliness we lost.
Old 08-29-13, 09:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

0-15 minutes a game and whatever stats come with those minutes.