News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-13, 09:08 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Ginobili mulled retirement during the regular season

This is from ESPN's Rumor page, so there is no link.

Ginobili talks injuries, retirement
August, 21, 2013
AUG 21
8:19
AM ET
By Nick Borges | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0TWEET0COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
Manu Ginobili recently did an interview with La Naciůn, an Argentine newspaper, and he answered question on many topics including his injuries and retirement. So how close was he to calling an end to his days as an NBA player?

"By the end of the season -- and I mean the regular season and not the playoffs -- I thought about it a lot. I was so tired of it. I hadnít suffered a muscle strain in my whole life and I went through three in four months," Ginobili tells the newspaper via translation from Pounding the Rock. "I felt negative, fed up. And I thought about retiring. I hadnít come close to making up my mind but I thought it was something I had to discuss with my wife, 'what if Ö?' She told me that it was my decision and she was fine either way. But when I recovered physically I started to feel better about it all. When the season ended I grieved for 48, 72 hours and I didnít feel retired. I knew something was missing, that I still wanted to play."

Ginobili, an 11-year NBA veteran, re-signed with the Spurs through the 2014-15 season and at that point he probably will retire. The Spurs will also likely see Tim Duncan and head coach Gregg Popovich retire, too, in 2015. Ginobili said in the interview that he wants to stay close to the game, but at this time he doesn't know what role that will be.

Ginobili will likely have his old position as the Spurs' sixth-man this upcoming season.
Old 08-21-13, 10:22 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I love Manu and hope he can get back into productive shape. But retirement might have been his best option. He looked like a shadow of himself during the playoffs, and I'd hate to see him go out as a diminished figure...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-23-13, 04:29 AM
The Amazing!

It's like the dude is rubbing salt in our wounds. This is article number 500 I have seen of the dude saying he ALMOST retired but he's back!!! Well here's to hoping he's found the Fountain of Youth...
Old 08-26-13, 03:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Not a good sign at all. Once an athlete considers retirement or has the thought of retirement creep in his head, it's pretty much a done deal. The grind of a season is taxing both mentally and physically. Sure in August he feels fine and wants to play, but come January or February when his body is bruised and battered (and we all know it will be) that's when the question of "why the hell am I doing this" will come up.

Several former pro athletes, most notably Charles Barkley, have mentioned that once you start thinking about retiring or retirement, you're pretty much done.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-26-13, 03:33 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

He should have retired. He should have walked away and waited for his jersey to be hung in the rafters, and let Spurs fans celebrate the greatness that was Manu, instead for the next two years every once in a while he'll flash some of that Manu magic and fans will scream, see he's not done yet.

He's not getting younger, he's going to be brittle and for the next two years at the end of each season it'll be painfully obvious that he just doesn't have it anymore and our last images of him will be like those of oh so many players before who kept going when they should have stopped.
Old 08-26-13, 06:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by polk View Post
Several former pro athletes, most notably Charles Barkley, have mentioned that once you start thinking about retiring or retirement, you're pretty much done.
I'll take "nuh uh!" for $14M , Alex.
-Manu
Old 08-27-13, 06:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Well people would've still been mad at Manu even if he decided to retire at the end of the season and people would've been mad now that he plays for two more years. Face it people are going to be taking it out on Manu whether he retires or not.
Old 08-28-13, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgospurs View Post
Well people would've still been mad at Manu even if he decided to retire at the end of the season .
Actually I think most Spurs fans would have appreciated that he decided to retire and freed up 7 million for the club to spend on a possible future player who can actually help the team rather than on a 36 year old future hall-of-famer (who'll be 37 during next season) who's breaking down, whose minutes need to be very carefully doled out so he doesn't completely collapse and who may or may not be able to do very much next season.

Old 08-28-13, 09:23 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I predict a rejuvenated Ginobili playing much more small forward, albeit with fewer minutes.

Playing back up PG really wears him out.
Old 08-28-13, 10:09 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

I can see Manu taking care and getting his confidence and Groove back after this loss in that Finals. ADD to that Manu's contract was up and that was a huge pressure!!!!!! I see the real Manu back next year with Vengeance!

Normally Manu gets upset so much with loses that he beats himself and will not feel better until he returns and gets even.

Manu was born as a fighter and he will keep fighting back! Could never ever think Manu would give up! EVER!

Deep down.
When Manu gets DETERMINED. He gets RELOADED RE-Focused and gets his way to win!

I am excited and expecting a new Manu that can shake the world next year. In a totally new role and new way of Manu! The Manuvation will be back! I will not give up on Manu. I am very happy we brought Manu back!!!!

Because he is Manu and he can do it!
Old 08-28-13, 01:39 PM

"I am excited and expecting a new Manu that can shake the world next year. In a totally new role and new way of Manu! The Manuvation will be back! I will not give up on Manu. I am very happy we brought Manu back!!!!

Because he is Manu and he can do it! "

Only if he follows the Roger Clements - Barry Bonds - Lance Armstrong - Alex Rodriquez training regimen of injections of HGH and Testosterone suppliments :shocked
Old 08-28-13, 03:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I for one believe his problems last year were more mental fatigue than physical. I look for him to come back with a vengeance!
Old 08-28-13, 08:37 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I would have preferred that he retired title or not but 14 million is a lot of money to turn down. I don't think he was worth over 5 million and I stated before 5 million tops at the most to re-sign him. He didn't play good enough to get that 5 million tops from me. Oh well.
Old 08-28-13, 10:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I guess he could've left for somewhere else and that would've freed up money for us and ability to pick up someone else too.
Old 08-29-13, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
[i]

Only if he follows the Roger Clements - Barry Bonds - Lance Armstrong - Alex Rodriquez training regimen of injections of HGH and Testosterone suppliments :shocked
No sir..Manu will never do such dishonored behaviour as those athletes mentioned above. Rather Manu will come fresh with avenge on his mind after such loss in the Finals.

The biggest missing things in Manu's game last PO was:
1. Ability to Focus on the game. It was a mental stress for him and we are all used to Manu doing things naturally without thinking....So I expect Manu to come fresh mentally and Focused.

2. Manu will not be a back up PG and Pop had been forced to play the Veteran back Up available Guard in PO and that KILLED us!!! Hence POP and his coaching staff need to come with much better rotation plan. Especially now that TP had put more miles on his body with the French NT....

That is why Manu will be played sporadically and will stay healthy esp in few minutes he can play and bring all the intensity to Spurs game. Bank on that.
Old 08-29-13, 02:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post
I can see Manu taking care and getting his confidence and Groove back after this loss in that Finals. ADD to that Manu's contract was up and that was a huge pressure!!!!!! I see the real Manu back next year with Vengeance!

Normally Manu gets upset so much with loses that he beats himself and will not feel better until he returns and gets even.

Manu was born as a fighter and he will keep fighting back! Could never ever think Manu would give up! EVER!

Deep down.
When Manu gets DETERMINED. He gets RELOADED RE-Focused and gets his way to win!

I am excited and expecting a new Manu that can shake the world next year. In a totally new role and new way of Manu! The Manuvation will be back! I will not give up on Manu. I am very happy we brought Manu back!!!!

Because he is Manu and he can do it!
Why are you expecting this? What suggests this will be the case?

I have no douobt that he will be DETERMINED, RELOADED, REJUVENATED and all of that - in late October and November!!!

Unfortunately come mid season he will probably REGRESS, be REINJURED, and perhaps REGRET not RETIRING!!

Old 08-30-13, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polk View Post
Why are you expecting this? What suggests this will be the case?

I have no douobt that he will be DETERMINED, RELOADED, REJUVENATED and all of that - in late October and November!!!

Unfortunately come mid season he will probably REGRESS, be REINJURED, and perhaps REGRET not RETIRING!!

You are correct on first few months. I have no doubt Manu will be rested and as always he will come ready and excited in the first few month of the season.

This year however, we shall see different new Spurs team with few new wonderful additions (Belinelli, and Pendergraph, and two more) who will help change the dynamics of the Spurs.

What people are failing to remember here is that our Front Office had thought about bringing Manu back and had decided this is a very important piece Spurs TEAM need. Manu is one of the Big Three who were part of multiple Championships that Took place within our Spurs Tim Duncan and David Robinson Era. And Manu will continue to tie together all the team as a huge Veteran that adds Great Experience despite his few set backs in the last PO when he was put in the back up PG position.

People need to forget that last PO and open new season's book and get over that horrifying Finals loss.

You keep judging and thinking that Manu will regress and get worse... Based on his past correct? But his next year will not be like his past years in any shape or form. Manu had been picked up again from the Spurs and will hopefully retire as a Spurs. This is a big thing IMO. Manu will not go out like that. He will make a Big Splash Exit. Bank on that. Manu also took the summer to relax and rest too. That just tells me he is getting ready to strike one last two great strikes period.

Manu might be slower, however that should not stop him from pulling some new tricks here and there and making up for his slowness with some savvy Veteran experience and defensive things.

Manu is not that limited, that is why he will bring it somehow to make up for something he might missed most of the time. I am positive about that.