SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Sixers hire Brett Brown as new coach (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120421-sixers-hire-brett-brown-new-coach.html)

alh1020 08-12-13 11:37 AM

Sixers hire Brett Brown as new coach

A coaching search more drawn out than the “How I Met Your Mother” payoff is finally over.
Not all Brett Brown’s friends wanted him to take the 76ers job, but there are only 30 NBA head coaching gigs out there and when you offered one you have to be careful about turning it down.

Brown, an assistant with the Spurs, is accepting the Philadelphia 76ers head coaching job, reports Ian Thompson of Sports Illustrated. We had told you a couple days ago the offer had been made by new Sixers GM Sam Hinkie; the question is would he accept it.

He will, and this is a four-year guaranteed deal, according to the report. That is key here — the Sixers are going to be terrible for a couple seasons as they rebuild through the draft and clear cap space. They are going to lose 60 games or so next season and that is often a coach killer.

Four years means they are committed to the process.

Brown was going to be Gregg Popovich’s lead assistant, he also was the head coach of the Australian national team and was a head coach over there for years before joining the Spurs.

What he brings is player development as a strength, something the Sixers will need as they enter a serious rebuilding mode. He tends to be positive and bring a lot of energy to his practices.

Popovich and the Spurs have lost their two lead assistants this summer — Mike Budenholzer to the Hawks and now Brown to the Sixers. Probably much like on the player side, guys will just step up and you won’t even notice a difference.

Story link: Report: Sixers hire Brett Brown as new coach | ProBasketballTalk

alh1020 08-12-13 11:45 AM

So, do the Spurs start recruiting coaches to fill the hole made by Coach Brown? I think RC and Pop go after someone sitting in the wings who need to stay active in coaching, ie., Lionel Hollins or Avery Johnson. Maybe even introduce Bruce Bowen to coaching since he knows the 'system'. Presently, besides Pop, the remaining are still with us ..............presently:

Jim Boylen (College - Maine)
Ime Udoka (College - Portland State)
Chip Engelland (College - Duke)
Chad Forcier (College - Seattle Pacific)

alh1020 08-12-13 11:51 AM

With a four year commitment, I hope Philly allows you to press forward and build a good team and not 'tank' this coming year for draft position as has been rumored in the press. Good luck Coach Brown --- thanks for everything you did and contributed to the Spurs success.

WILLTHETHRILL 08-12-13 01:31 PM

Coach Brown please take Bonner with you!

clovisnmspurfan 08-12-13 02:17 PM

Good luck in all you do..........leave Bonner alone!

Spurd_On 08-14-13 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alh1020 (Post 1304311)
So, do the Spurs start recruiting coaches to fill the hole made by Coach Brown? I think RC and Pop go after someone sitting in the wings who need to stay active in coaching, ie., Lionel Hollins or Avery Johnson. Maybe even introduce Bruce Bowen to coaching since he knows the 'system'. Presently, besides Pop, the remaining are still with us ..............presently:

Jim Boylen (College - Maine)
Ime Udoka (College - Portland State)
Chip Engelland (College - Duke)
Chad Forcier (College - Seattle Pacific)

Brown was supposedly a real animated spark plug in practices so I would hope that they replace him with such. Lionel Hollins fits the bill but I can't imagine him not being a head coach for long after his stint with Memphis.