SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Mo Williams signs with Portland.. (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120282-mo-williams-signs-portland.html)

thesuspence281 08-07-13 01:44 PM

Mo Williams signs with Portland..

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 27m
Williams deal will pay him $5.6 million over two years, with player option for second season.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 29m
Williams is signing a two year deal with Blazers, source tells Y!

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 31m
Portland has reached agreement with free agent guard Mo Williams, source tells Y!

Were running out of quality FA's if we do plan on filling the last spot.

spurduncan21 08-07-13 01:57 PM

Fuggedaboutit. Roster is set. We all should know by now that anyone close to resembling a quality name in the NBA is NOT signing with us. Fact is we should have gotten MO as the backup because that position needs to be solidifes as was shown in the finals when TP calmly was hampered by hamstring. As much as I'd love a center we missed out. The FO must like what they see in Cojo and rookie D Thomas as backup pg and sf

MRJONESIII 08-07-13 02:29 PM

Well, obviously it wasn't about playing for a contender.

alh1020 08-07-13 06:22 PM

Opportunities are slipping away to pick up quality pieces for the team. Evidently, the Spurs FO have a grand plan or they are satisfied with the present team chemistry and are ready for training camp to open in October, as is.

Spurd_On 08-07-13 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alh1020 (Post 1304123)
Opportunities are slipping away to pick up quality pieces for the team. Evidently, the Spurs FO have a grand plan or they are satisfied with the present team chemistry and are ready for training camp to open in October, as is.

In hindsight, I guess Pop saw the need for a multi-dimensional 2 guard and power forward that could be utilized in a 7 game series and turned it over to RC to spin his magic. No telling what their plans are for Thompson. The word from the scouts seems to have been that he doesn't have the lateral quickness to defend the perimeter as a small forward. We will just have to wait and see if the Spurs see a possibility in correcting that. Otherwise, I think he goes to Europe or gets dropped entirely.

thesuspence281 08-07-13 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurd_On (Post 1304124)
In hindsight, I guess Pop saw the need for a multi-dimensional 2 guard and power forward that could be utilized in a 7 game series and turned it over to RC to spin his magic. No telling what their plans are for Thompson. The word from the scouts seems to have been that he doesn't have the lateral quickness to defend the perimeter as a small forward. We will just have to wait and see if the Spurs see a possibility in correcting that. Otherwise, I think he goes to Europe or gets dropped entirely.

I think the issue was that he played PF in college so they worry about whether he can stay with the wing players but he is going to be going up against 2nd or 3rd string wingers for when kawhi and then whoever they decide to play as his direct backup (one article said most likely manu or danny would slide over to cover for him) and then he would come in should two guys be in foul trouble or be injured. Plus he seems like he could bring some solid offense. If he has the post moves that we would expect a power forward to have it would be nice to see him use them somewhat like kawhi has down in the post.
I'm just going off what I have read and the little bit I saw of him in the summer league game.

Spurd_On 08-07-13 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesuspence281 (Post 1304125)
I think the issue was that he played PF in college so they worry about whether he can stay with the wing players but he is going to be going up against 2nd or 3rd string wingers for when kawhi and then whoever they decide to play as his direct backup (one article said most likely manu or danny would slide over to cover for him) and then he would come in should two guys be in foul trouble or be injured. Plus he seems like he could bring some solid offense. If he has the post moves that we would expect a power forward to have it would be nice to see him use them somewhat like kawhi has down in the post.
I'm just going off what I have read and the little bit I saw of him in the summer league game.

Depending on the matchup, I can see Diaw also logging minutes at the 3.