News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-02-13, 04:59 PM
SR Team Goof

Al Harrington waived

It has been expected for a while ó the Magic had been looking to see if they could trade Al Harrington before they just cut him loose, but there wasnít much of a market.

So, Orlando waived him Friday, something that Harrington addressed on Instagram.

Itís OfficialÖ Orlando has waived me! I just want thanks all the Orlando Fans that embraced me in my short stay there. It was my pleasure playing in front of you guys. Also wanna thank Coaching staff and medical department for helping me get back on court to do what I love the most. And thatís to Hoop with the Best! Now that Iím almost 110% back healthy Iím so excited for my immediate future. Let the phone start ringing. Iím ready!!!!! ✌

He will clear waivers because Harrington was owed $14.7 million for two seasons and nobody is going to pick that tab up. Only about $7.4 million of that was guaranteed, so most likely the buyout was for that amount. Even so, that means heíll be willing to play for the minimum for a contending team.

The question those teams are asking is if he is healthy ó he had a knee surgery that led to a staph infection last season which kept him out of all but 10 games. Is he back to his old self at age 33? Since then he says he has dropped 27 pounds. Remember two seasons ago in Denver Harrington averaged 14.2 points a game, was dangerous from three and had a PER of 15.3, right at the league average. A lot of teams could use that.

Link: Magic waive Al Harrington. Now who will pick him up? | ProBasketballTalk
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-02-13, 06:47 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Works for me. More versatile than bonner and a better chance of stayin healthy than oden.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-02-13, 07:47 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Why did they not exercise the Bonner team buyout option? Why Pop? WHY?
Old 08-02-13, 08:11 PM
SR Team Goof

Or the Spurs could have arranged a trade with Orlando for Harrington to include Bonner and anybody else to make up the salary difference. We had opportunities to do S&T with both Neal and Blair to get somebody in return but again, we don't know what goes on 'behind the scenes' or what Pop's scouting reports say about Harrington. Whenever Oden makes up his mind, we might see if the FO really were interested in Mo Williams or anybody else still available, for that matter. IMHO, of course.
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Old 08-02-13, 08:29 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Don't forget that a player has to agree with a sign/trade. Neal/Blair would need to want to go to the Magic.
Old 08-02-13, 08:38 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Why did they not exercise the Bonner team buyout option? Why Pop? WHY?
Have to figure he's more valuable to them as an expiring contract. If we had not picked up his option we would only have been able to replace him with a minimum contract anyway.
Old 08-02-13, 09:12 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Big Al had a horrible contract before but if healthy would be a good stretch four option.
Old 08-02-13, 09:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Man, if he could get healthy and go to the Boris Diaw Rejuvenation Clinic, I would love to have him coming off the bench. Forget Oden.
Old 08-02-13, 10:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'll buy that for a dollar
Old 08-02-13, 10:29 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Don't forget that a player has to agree with a sign/trade. Neal/Blair would need to want to go to the Magic.
I'd venture to say if the salary had enough zeros in the total, they'd probably agree and sign. Besides, they were friendly and played next to the Magic's head coach while he was on Pop's staff, Jacque Vaughn. But it's all dust in the wind now and we'll just have to see what tomorrow will bring.
Old 08-03-13, 09:24 AM
SpursReport Rookie

He will clear waivers....He will be a Spur.....talk about someone who scores in bunches
Old 08-03-13, 11:20 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Good sf/pf combo.
Old 08-03-13, 12:48 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyistheman View Post
He will clear waivers....He will be a Spur.....talk about someone who scores in bunches
How exactly do you know he will be a Spur?
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 08-03-13, 02:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Can we start a waiting list as we already have 14 signed not including Deshaun?
Old 08-03-13, 09:18 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

how many players has miami signed...?

i vet Miami wants him if theres roster spot left..
Old 08-04-13, 07:08 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

He cleared waivers today
Old 08-04-13, 08:56 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I wonder if the sportswriters will tell us this week that the Spurs will be "In the Mix".

He is 33. That makes him too young to go to the Knicks or Nets.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 08-04-13 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-05-13, 07:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If he is 33........ that's a perfect age for us!
Old 08-06-13, 01:09 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
If he is 33........ that's a perfect age for us!
You can say that, but T Mac was as well!
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 08-06-13, 04:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

So bring back TMack?
Old 08-06-13, 06:26 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
So bring back TMack?
oh hell no!
Old 08-06-13, 11:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Just Kidding.
Old 08-09-13, 12:01 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyistheman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
How exactly do you know he will be a Spur?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
He cleared waivers today

Ok, you were right about the first part, but I also want to know how you know he will be a Spur since obviously he isn't yet.
So what's up with that?
Old 08-12-13, 07:37 AM
SR Team Goof

Al Harrington leaning toward signing with Wizards

Al Harrington could really help the team that snaps him up ó two seasons ago he averaged 14.2 points a game, was a big who could stretch the floor all the way out to the three point line.

That is he could help if heís healthy. Thatís the gamble.

And it may be the Wizards that take that risk, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Wizards, who have one guaranteed roster spot open, are looking to add some frontcourt scoring punch and have aggressively pursued Harrington since he cleared waivers Aug. 4.

Harrington is recovering from an meniscus surgery that evolved into a staph infection last season ó and recovery is a little slower at age 33. He played just 10 games last season (which also was tied to the Magic wanting to play their youngsters). However, he says he has dropped 27 pounds and is ready to go.

This would work for Washington, which already has guys like Emeka Okafor and Jan Vesely who can play the four (next to Nene at the five), plus Chris Singleton can step into that role off the bench. If Harrington can play they can certainly use the minutes, but if not theyíll be fine.

Weíll see if itís Washington or if another team jumps in at the last minute.

Rest of story: Report: Al Harrington leaning toward signing with Wizards | ProBasketballTalk