SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Al Harrington waived (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120274-al-harrington-waived.html)

alh1020 08-02-13 04:59 PM

Al Harrington waived

It has been expected for a while ó the Magic had been looking to see if they could trade Al Harrington before they just cut him loose, but there wasnít much of a market.

So, Orlando waived him Friday, something that Harrington addressed on Instagram.

Itís OfficialÖ Orlando has waived me! I just want thanks all the Orlando Fans that embraced me in my short stay there. It was my pleasure playing in front of you guys. Also wanna thank Coaching staff and medical department for helping me get back on court to do what I love the most. And thatís to Hoop with the Best! Now that Iím almost 110% back healthy Iím so excited for my immediate future. Let the phone start ringing. Iím ready!!!!! ✌

He will clear waivers because Harrington was owed $14.7 million for two seasons and nobody is going to pick that tab up. Only about $7.4 million of that was guaranteed, so most likely the buyout was for that amount. Even so, that means heíll be willing to play for the minimum for a contending team.

The question those teams are asking is if he is healthy ó he had a knee surgery that led to a staph infection last season which kept him out of all but 10 games. Is he back to his old self at age 33? Since then he says he has dropped 27 pounds. Remember two seasons ago in Denver Harrington averaged 14.2 points a game, was dangerous from three and had a PER of 15.3, right at the league average. A lot of teams could use that.

Link: Magic waive Al Harrington. Now who will pick him up? | ProBasketballTalk

grizzly_bexar 08-02-13 06:47 PM

Works for me. More versatile than bonner and a better chance of stayin healthy than oden.

WILLTHETHRILL 08-02-13 07:47 PM

Why did they not exercise the Bonner team buyout option? Why Pop? WHY?

alh1020 08-02-13 08:11 PM

Or the Spurs could have arranged a trade with Orlando for Harrington to include Bonner and anybody else to make up the salary difference. We had opportunities to do S&T with both Neal and Blair to get somebody in return but again, we don't know what goes on 'behind the scenes' or what Pop's scouting reports say about Harrington. Whenever Oden makes up his mind, we might see if the FO really were interested in Mo Williams or anybody else still available, for that matter. IMHO, of course.

katyspursfan 08-02-13 08:29 PM

Don't forget that a player has to agree with a sign/trade. Neal/Blair would need to want to go to the Magic.

grizzly_bexar 08-02-13 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1304026)
Why did they not exercise the Bonner team buyout option? Why Pop? WHY?

Have to figure he's more valuable to them as an expiring contract. If we had not picked up his option we would only have been able to replace him with a minimum contract anyway.

WILLTHETHRILL 08-02-13 09:12 PM

Big Al had a horrible contract before but if healthy would be a good stretch four option.

JFly 08-02-13 09:35 PM

Man, if he could get healthy and go to the Boris Diaw Rejuvenation Clinic, I would love to have him coming off the bench. Forget Oden.

drcantgetright 08-02-13 10:21 PM

I'll buy that for a dollar

alh1020 08-02-13 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katyspursfan (Post 1304039)
Don't forget that a player has to agree with a sign/trade. Neal/Blair would need to want to go to the Magic.

I'd venture to say if the salary had enough zeros in the total, they'd probably agree and sign. Besides, they were friendly and played next to the Magic's head coach while he was on Pop's staff, Jacque Vaughn. But it's all dust in the wind now and we'll just have to see what tomorrow will bring.

Vinnyistheman 08-03-13 09:24 AM

He will clear waivers....He will be a Spur.....talk about someone who scores in bunches

MRJONESIII 08-03-13 11:20 AM

Good sf/pf combo.

Rzarector7 08-03-13 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnyistheman (Post 1304060)
He will clear waivers....He will be a Spur.....talk about someone who scores in bunches

How exactly do you know he will be a Spur?

clovisnmspurfan 08-03-13 02:56 PM

Can we start a waiting list as we already have 14 signed not including Deshaun?

JuanCaca 08-03-13 09:18 PM

how many players has miami signed...?

i vet Miami wants him if theres roster spot left..

MichaelWi101 08-04-13 07:08 PM

He cleared waivers today

Spurd_On 08-04-13 08:56 PM

I wonder if the sportswriters will tell us this week that the Spurs will be "In the Mix".:)

He is 33. That makes him too young to go to the Knicks or Nets.

clovisnmspurfan 08-05-13 07:50 PM

If he is 33........ that's a perfect age for us!

Rzarector7 08-06-13 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan (Post 1304091)
If he is 33........ that's a perfect age for us!

You can say that, but T Mac was as well! :laugh

clovisnmspurfan 08-06-13 04:21 PM

So bring back TMack?

WILLTHETHRILL 08-06-13 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan (Post 1304099)
So bring back TMack?

oh hell no!

clovisnmspurfan 08-06-13 11:41 PM

Just Kidding.

xmas97 08-09-13 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnyistheman (Post 1304060)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzarector7 (Post 1304064)
How exactly do you know he will be a Spur?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1304085)
He cleared waivers today

Ok, you were right about the first part, but I also want to know how you know he will be a Spur since obviously he isn't yet.
So what's up with that?

alh1020 08-12-13 07:37 AM

Al Harrington leaning toward signing with Wizards

Al Harrington could really help the team that snaps him up ó two seasons ago he averaged 14.2 points a game, was a big who could stretch the floor all the way out to the three point line.

That is he could help if heís healthy. Thatís the gamble.

And it may be the Wizards that take that risk, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Wizards, who have one guaranteed roster spot open, are looking to add some frontcourt scoring punch and have aggressively pursued Harrington since he cleared waivers Aug. 4.

Harrington is recovering from an meniscus surgery that evolved into a staph infection last season ó and recovery is a little slower at age 33. He played just 10 games last season (which also was tied to the Magic wanting to play their youngsters). However, he says he has dropped 27 pounds and is ready to go.

This would work for Washington, which already has guys like Emeka Okafor and Jan Vesely who can play the four (next to Nene at the five), plus Chris Singleton can step into that role off the bench. If Harrington can play they can certainly use the minutes, but if not theyíll be fine.

Weíll see if itís Washington or if another team jumps in at the last minute.

Rest of story: Report: Al Harrington leaning toward signing with Wizards | ProBasketballTalk