News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-13, 02:14 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

No shortage of interested teams inquiring about DeJuan Blair

DeJuan Blair: There’s no shortage of interested teams inquiring about DeJuan Blair. In fact, most of the league has called about Blair in some capacity. The issue for Blair is how can he get a multi-year deal or a deal that preserves his Bird Rights via sign-and-trade with the San Antonio Spurs.

Blair’s time in San Antonio was far from ideal for a free agent since he played sparingly in the postseason and didn’t have a huge role in the last two years. This makes landing a significant free agent deal tough, especially for a guy with no anterior cruciate ligaments in his knees.

Teams are more than willing to do one-year, low-dollar deals for Blair, mainly because when he did play in San Antonio, he played extremely well. The issue is how to get him a multi-year deal or how to preserve his Bird Rights.

The Spurs are not closed to a sign-and-trade with Blair, but like all things with San Antonio the deal has to favor them and that’s tough to construct.

Free agency comes in tiers and with most of the upper-tier guys off the board, Blair’s window for a deal is open and there are no shortage of scenarios, especially for a guy that could be playing for less than $2 million next season.

Read more at NBA AM: The Free Agent Update | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-24-13, 04:23 PM
SR Team Goof

I liken Blair to Malik Rose, both are tweeners due to their height, who can play thge 3-4-5 positions. I loved the energy both brought to the game and they both kept the ball alive under the basket, coupled with banging the boards hard. I sincerely hope DeJuan does find a home and a reason to flash his big smile again.
Old 07-24-13, 09:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I wish him well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-13, 12:03 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Still seems weird to me so many guys out there with so little action going on. At some point you would expect the pace of signings to pick up.
Old 07-25-13, 08:58 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Part of the issue maybe that with the new CBA some of these guys still haven't caught onto the fact that they're not going to be able to get the kind of money they think they're worth.

They want multi-year deals and the teams are saying nope, not going to happen. One and two year deals seem to be the norm this year and nothing too extravagant either, not seeing a while lot of overspending on these marginal type of role players.
Old 07-25-13, 09:04 AM
SpursReport Team Member

John Wall just got 5 yr $80 mil, not the same but just saying
Old 07-25-13, 10:32 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Wall's the new face of the Wizards and they're building around him, that's like us extending Tony...
Old 07-25-13, 07:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I liken Blair to Malik Rose, both are tweeners due to their height, who can play thge 3-4-5 positions. I loved the energy both brought to the game and they both kept the ball alive under the basket, coupled with banging the boards hard. I sincerely hope DeJuan does find a home and a reason to flash his big smile again.
Blair cannot play the 3 or the 5. Blair sucked the whole time he was here due to his matador defense.
Old 07-29-13, 08:45 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Blair cannot play the 3 or the 5. Blair sucked the whole time he was here due to his matador defense.
I wouldn't say he sucked. I think he will do very well playing for another team and will haunt us for years to come each time he plays us.
Old 07-29-13, 09:03 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
I wouldn't say he sucked. I think he will do very well playing for another team and will haunt us for years to come each time he plays us.
If by haunts us you mean gets some baskets and rebounds but has a -5 +/- for every minute he is in the game, I will agree.

So maybe sucks is too harsh for his whole game, but it isn't too harsh for his defense.

We had the worst defense in years when he was a starter or had significant playing time.

Look how much better we are on defense when he doesn't play.
Old 07-30-13, 11:23 AM
SR Team Goof

Mavericks in serious talks to land DeJuan Blair

Dallas needs a little more depth along the front line to start the season Dirk Nowitzki is the star, and they also have Brandan Wright, Samuel Dalembert and Jae Crowder. Dallas has been in the mix to add Greg Oden but they are not considered favorites to land him.

So now it looks like they may steal a Spur to fill out that roster spot.

They are in negotiations with DeJuan Blair, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.

Marc Stein ✔ @ESPNSteinLine
Surprise development in Mavs' big man search: Hearing Dallas in serious talks on signing DeJuan Blair. Told deal looks "promising"
9:47 AM - 30 Jul 2013

While Blair is a restricted free agent it is not expected the Spurs will match an offer for him.

This would be a good pickup for Dallas Blair fell out of the Spurs rotation last season but when he got on the floor he played fairly. Blair shot 52.4 percent and had a PER of 14.6, right at the league average last season.

The Wizards and Bulls were the other teams tied to Blair. He was looking for a multi-year deal but Im not sure thats what the Mavericks (who are trying to rebuild through free agency) are offering.

Link: Report: Mavericks in ?serious talks? to land DeJuan Blair | ProBasketballTalk
Old 07-30-13, 11:54 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Good luck to the guy.

Except for four games a year.
Old 07-30-13, 12:04 PM
SR Team Goof

DeJuan Blair reaches deal to join Dallas Mavericks

✔ @DeJuan45
Dallas!!!!! Now lets have some fun!!!!
11:29 AM - 30 Jul 2013

This is a good pickup by Dallas. They got him at the NBA veterans minimum (thats all they could really offer) and at that price Blair is a value. He can rebuound, score in the post and give Dallas 20 solid minutes a night off the bench. Hed been pushed out of the rotation in San Antonio, but he can still play and will show that this season.

11:10 am: Dallas needs a little more depth along the front line to start the season Dirk Nowitzki is the star, and they also have Brandan Wright, Samuel Dalembert and Jae Crowder. Dallas has been in the mix to add Greg Oden but they are not considered favorites to land him.

So now it looks like they may steal a Spur to fill out that roster spot.

They are in negotiations with DeJuan Blair, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.

Link: DeJuan Blair reaches deal to join Dallas Mavericks | ProBasketballTalk
Old 07-30-13, 12:06 PM
SR Team Goof

I guess we can scratch any sign and trade ideas we had with Washington.