News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-13, 02:45 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Spurs withdraw qualifying offer for Gary Neal

Just heard it on the radio.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-23-13, 02:51 PM
SR Team Goof

I just found this article:

Report: Spurs to withdraw qualifying offer for Gary Neal

Gary Neal was one of those guys a lot of fans saying during the playoffs “where do the Spurs keep finding these guys?” He played a huge role for San Antonio in the NBA Finals.

Neal was a reserve guard (he did start 17 games for San Antonio last season) who averaged 9.5 points a game, mostly often knocking down threes but he could score off the bounce or the catch-and-shoot, and he played smart defense.

Neal was a restricted free agent and while the Spurs signing of Marco Belinelli meant they were not likely to match an offer for Neal, offers were slow to come in because the Spurs could threaten to match and force a sign-and-trade. Other teams were leery to make an offer.

That may be about to change because the Spurs may be about to pull their qualifying offer, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.

✔ @ESPNSteinLine
Hearing: San Antonio in process of withdrawing qualifying offer to Gary Neal, making Neal an unrestricted free agent and sure to speed exit
2:27 PM - 23 Jul 2013

Link: Report: Spurs to withdraw qualifying offer for Gary Neal | ProBasketballTalk
Old 07-23-13, 02:53 PM

I guess the sign and trade market just wasn't there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-23-13, 02:53 PM
SR Team Goof

I'm wondering if this is the first domino to fall...............
Old 07-23-13, 02:54 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Clearing room for Oden or our 2nd rounder?
Old 07-23-13, 02:59 PM

It's possible that it's about clearing room on the roster, but I figure it's more likely that they were just waiting to see what they could get back in a sign and trade deal, and when nothing looked appealing, it no longer is worth it to make him a restricted free agent. With the qualifying offer withdrawn, you do eliminate the risk as some have mentioned that he takes the qualifying offer and comes back on the roster and then you have to move somebody to sign someone like Greg Oden or Mike Miller or Mo Williams.
Old 07-23-13, 03:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

You can still do a sign and trade with an unrestricted free agent. Now there might be more of a possibility of a team being interested making a play without worrying if the Spurs match.

S
Old 07-23-13, 03:19 PM

I had assumed withdrawing the qualifying offer involved renouncing bird rights.
Old 07-23-13, 03:27 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Very weird to renounce him without having Oden signed...

They needed "Neal's" spot on the roster open by him leaving in order to sign Oden and now that has taken place....interesting to say the least...

Even more interesting is that the Heat are now interested in Neal...

And if that's the case with there Luxury Tax bill if they do sign Neal or a Camby that would take them out if the running for Oden.....

Hmmmmmmm a big hmmmmmmm
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 07-23-13, 03:39 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS View Post
........ the Heat are now interested in Neal...And if that's the case with there Luxury Tax bill if they do sign Neal or a Camby that would take them out if the running for Oden.....
Heartbreak hotel if that were to happen. I just hope Neal doesn't head north toward OKC. We play OKC 4 times vs 2 with Miami and we have to get by OKC to get to the 'show'. Whereas, teams in the East have beefed up and will now give Miami a run.

You know, with all this going on, I have realized that I wouldn't want to play chess with either Pop or RC. You never know what they're going to do and when they do, surprise!!! ..... it's usually something you never saw coming.
Old 07-23-13, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

In Pop we trust, would also like to see Thomas make the team.
Old 07-23-13, 03:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I never figured Neal to be a part of the team's long term plans. This is simply a move to make room on the roster. They can still perform a sign and trade much like with Blair. It will be interesting to see what happens next. It was surprising that this was decided now prior to any news on Oden. Hopefully we can get something going in the form of a trade for Neal and Blair even though they will not be back with us.

- Confucius
Old 07-23-13, 03:51 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Too bad for Gary in the short term. He's busted his butt and deserves to get paid.

But he's a redundancy on the Spurs and doesn't bring enough variables to the table to make him irresistible here. He's a gunslinger who can't really get to the rim and whose defense is no better than fair.

Hope he gets a break and winds up with a nice pay bump in the Eastern Conference.

For those who thought the Spurs were done tinkering, this looks to be the first in a series of possible re-tooling moves. As usual with Pop and RC, none of us has any idea what they are planning. Always interesting around here.

Last edited by mckennaspur1; 07-23-13 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-23-13, 04:07 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
..... Hopefully we can get something going in the form of a trade for Neal and Blair even though they will not be back with us.
If we do go with a S&T with either Neal and/or Blair, hopefully we include multiple players from the Spurs roster, because if we go with a one-on-one trade, the incoming player will take the last roster spot. We have 14 signed now and if we trade multiple players with either or both Neal/Blair, it would create more spots in the event we try for either Oden or Mo Williams to boot. Strangely, I don't feel right about gutting a team that was seconds from the championship but maybe new blood with give us an even better team, in more ways than one.

Team Roster (as of 23 July 2013)

Baynes
Belinelli
Bonner
DeColo
Diaw
Duncan
Ginobili
Green
Joseph
Leonard
Mills
Parker
Pendergraph
Splitter
Old 07-23-13, 04:19 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
I had assumed withdrawing the qualifying offer involved renouncing bird rights.
I think it just puts him the same boat as any other unrestricted free agent.

If I'm reading things right:
If the Spurs could find a team with cap space, they could still sign/trade for nothing but a cap exception. It appears that WAS isn't that team, so they'd have to take someone back.
Old 07-23-13, 04:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
If we do go with a S&T with either Neal and/or Blair, hopefully we include multiple players from the Spurs roster, because if we go with a one-on-one trade, the incoming player will take the last roster spot. We have 14 signed now and if we trade multiple players with either or both Neal/Blair, it would create more spots in the event we try for either Oden or Mo Williams to boot. Strangely, I don't feel right about gutting a team that was seconds from the championship but maybe new blood with give us an even better team, in more ways than one.

Team Roster (as of 23 July 2013)

Baynes
Belinelli
Bonner
DeColo
Diaw
Duncan
Ginobili
Green
Joseph
Leonard
Mills
Parker
Pendergraph
Splitter
I understand your reasoning. I don't think it is gutting the team. Blair did not play much at all for us in the playoffs so he won't be missed. Neal played well in regards to shooting the rock, but we got Bellinelli so he wont be missed. Considering that both will be departed, it would be best if we can get something for them. Either way it looks the FO is making roster space available. I think Mo Williams is a much needed piece for our bench and would rather sign him than a SF because I not all confident in CJ or De Colo at this point. Oden would be insurance, but could conceivably play huge dividents as the season progresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
I think it just puts him the same boat as any other unrestricted free agent.

If I'm reading things right:
If the Spurs could find a team with cap space, they could still sign/trade for nothing but a cap exception. It appears that WAS isn't that team, so they'd have to take someone back.
As much as I would have liked Ariza, he is not desperately needed. It would be great though to eliminate two or more roster spaces trading Neal, Blair to make room for further improvements (Mo Williams, Ariza, Oden and of course our rook D Thomas)

- Confucius
Old 07-23-13, 05:34 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
As much as I would have liked Ariza, he is not desperately needed. It would be great though to eliminate two or more roster spaces trading Neal, Blair to make room for further improvements (Mo Williams, Ariza, Oden and of course our rook D Thomas)
I don't understand your logic, without Neal or Blair we still only have one roster spot left. Unless another team wants to take on two other contracts from us, we're only getting one of those three.
Old 07-23-13, 06:00 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Seems like a move is coming down. With Marco......Neal was a luxury.
Old 07-23-13, 08:31 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Seems like a move is coming down. With Marco......Neal was a luxury.
I hope a move is coming down.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 07-23-13, 08:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom32x4 View Post
I don't understand your logic, without Neal or Blair we still only have one roster spot left. Unless another team wants to take on two other contracts from us, we're only getting one of those three.
We have one spot open now. By losing another one we have 2 roster spaces. Is that better for doomster?

- Confucius
Old 07-23-13, 08:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
I hope a move is coming down.
I feel like one is

- Confucius
Old 07-23-13, 10:43 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

neal with wade, lebron and bosh could shine IMO
Old 07-24-13, 01:39 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The roster was too crowded.

We still have 14 guys under contract and there is not any reserve player except Mills.
Old 07-24-13, 02:17 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Do we have room for anyone else?