News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-21-13, 11:57 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Offseason Grade?

It looks like the Spurs are all done for offseason moves, I doubt they sign anyone else, they have had a history of keeping 1 vacant spot to swap out players from Austin and see how they fit in, etc.

This by far has been the most frustrating offseason for me as a Spurs fan, because I was wanting BIG things due to the fact that I believe this will be Tim Duncan's last season. I know some people might say "we were 30 seconds away from a 5th ring, so why change anything?"

Let's be realistic, if Kobe was healthy it might have changed things, if Westbrook was healthy it WOULD have changed things...

The Spurs decide to
Resign Splitter for $36 million
Resign Ginobili for $14 million
Sign Jeff Pendegraph $3.5 million
Sign Marco Belinelli $6 million
Draft another "Draft and Stasher" who we might never see

From and A+ to F- I give the Spurs a C+

I just feel the Splitter deal will kill us, we need to establish a primary 2nd string PG (I would personally like to see Mills)
We add 1 more year of aging to Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker.

There is possibility the Spurs do make a trade and change everything around, I really hope they do because if this is it, Spurs don't make it past the 2nd round.

On the SINGLE bright note, Kawhi Leonard might be the NBA's most improved player next season, I do expect big things from him!

Thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-13, 12:08 AM
Herman Cain of the board

D+ so far
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-13, 12:29 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

I give them a C-. Should have done more. But as I've stated many times, no one wants to come to San Antonio period. So we must do what we can with what we have.

Old 07-22-13, 12:38 AM
SR Team Goof

Personally, I wouldn't be too quick in saying we're done with the offseason moves, just 3 weeks into free agency. The Spurs FO still have a couple months to do some wheelin' and dealin', plus we have two opportunities still in play: 1) Oden still has to decide which team's uniform he will don this year, and 2) there is still an outside chance to do a S&T with Washington for Blair. I think we got a 50-50 chance of one of these coming to fruition and also the fact we got a boat load of point and shooting guards on this team. I'm not hanging the 'Closed' sign just yet.
Old 07-22-13, 10:47 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
D+ so far
Only because Bonner's still on the team
Old 07-22-13, 11:32 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

If you grade the off season moves so far by the little that we get to see on the surface, it doesn't seem like much so far. What we don't see, other than what Ime Udoka had instructions to test out in Summer League on players assigned there, is what certain other players were given as an off season regimen.

Do Splitter and Green come into camp with an expanded inside game?
Do Splitter and Pendergraph show up with a mid range shot?
Does Diaw focus on playing the small forward position?
Does Ginobili get an eye exam?
Old 07-22-13, 12:29 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

C. I hope they sign someone from the D League like Thomas possibly, seems that is basically what they are eyeing is someone of their own and they are done with outside moves.

Like Mombear said though, nobody wants to come to SA it seems so they must do with what they can get or their own talent they draft.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 07-22-13, 02:27 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
C. I hope they sign someone from the D League like Thomas possibly, seems that is basically what they are eyeing is someone of their own and they are done with outside moves.

Like Mombear said though, nobody wants to come to SA it seems so they must do with what they can get or their own talent they draft.
If Thomas goes to the D League or even training camp without a Spurs contract, then the Spurs give up the rights to him.
If he goes to a Euro team, the Spurs retain his rights.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 07-22-13 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-22-13, 02:38 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
If Thomas goes to the D League or even traing camp without a Spurs contract, then the Spurs give up the rights to him. If he goes to a Euro team, the Spurs retain his rights.
I wasn't aware of that little tidbit about retention rights between Euro play and D-league for draftees. Thanks for the update, Spurd. It's nice to know we have a Euro team co-owner of ASVEL Villeurbanne in TP to put in a good word for team management. ASVEL might be considered the Spurs D-league (Europe) in a way.
Old 07-22-13, 03:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

As of right now a D-. I like the Bellineli signing, and the Splitter signing decent. I think we are paying Ginobili way too much. And who the hell is Jeff Pendergraph? And yeah, Bonner is still on the team.
Old 07-22-13, 05:52 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicaluffa View Post
As of right now a D-. I like the Bellineli signing, and the Splitter signing decent. I think we are paying Ginobili way too much. And who the hell is Jeff Pendergraph? And yeah, Bonner is still on the team.
Pendergraph is the new Spurs acquisition from the Dutch National Team. Actually no. He is an unused power forward from the Pacers who came recommended by the Spurs new assistant coach acquired from the Pacers.
Old 07-22-13, 06:24 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

C+ ...Spurs added Belinelli ...which I think will be really beneficial. Pendergraph has solid size as well. They overpaid Ginobili...if they didn't it would have been a B-...

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 07-22-13, 07:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

From what we can see on the surface probably a C, however front office usually makes overall good decisions so probably a B.
Old 07-23-13, 12:07 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Only because Bonner's still on the team
I did say so far......lol.

They trade Bonner it turns into an instant A+:drummer
Old 07-23-13, 12:59 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I don't know if any free agent would object to coming here. If the Charlotte Bobcats could land Al Jefferson, why couldn't the Spurs? OJ Mayo willingly went to Milwaukee. Those are 2 legit players and you're telling me San Antonio is less appealing than Charlotte or Milwaukee? No way!

The reason we don't get any free agents is because the Spurs NEVER have any interest in signing anyone, they always want to keep the same team. I would have rather gave Al Jefferson the exact contract he received from Charlotte, rather than sign Splitter and Pendegraph. And I'm sure he would have rather chosen SA.

The Spurs need to do something in the trade market because what we have now will not win a 5th ring.

I concede my original grade of a C+ to a D+ now that I have rethought it.
Old 07-23-13, 01:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloteSpurs View Post
I don't know if any free agent would object to coming here. If the Charlotte Bobcats could land Al Jefferson, why couldn't the Spurs? OJ Mayo willingly went to Milwaukee. Those are 2 legit players and you're telling me San Antonio is less appealing than Charlotte or Milwaukee? No way!

The reason we don't get any free agents is because the Spurs NEVER have any interest in signing anyone, they always want to keep the same team. I would have rather gave Al Jefferson the exact contract he received from Charlotte, rather than sign Splitter and Pendegraph. And I'm sure he would have rather chosen SA.

The Spurs need to do something in the trade market because what we have now will not win a 5th ring.

I concede my original grade of a C+ to a D+ now that I have rethought it.
If we get Oden and perform a sign and trade with Wash like has been rumored (I can see Neal and Blair for Ariza) then we would be at about a B in my opinion. If that were to happen we will be MUCH better. Actually just getting Oden makes us much better but having an experienced swingman SF is the best we can hope for. If not, I think D Thomas is more than suitable shooting the ball but will need to work big time on the defensive end of the floor

- Confucius
Old 07-23-13, 06:03 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Funny how people want Ariza now but when I mentioned it.....I was out of my mind.lol
Old 07-23-13, 09:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Funny how people want Ariza now but when I mentioned it.....I was out of my mind.lol
I know you're not referring to me. I want a veteran backup sf who liked to defend and attack the rim. He fits the bill. Such an acquisition would allow D Thomas to play for Toros. I feel something is in the works...

- Confucius
Old 07-23-13, 09:17 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
I know you're not referring to me. I want a veteran backup sf who liked to defend and attack the rim. He fits the bill. Such an acquisition would allow D Thomas to play for Toros. I feel something is in the works...
I was hoping the Spurs would target Tony Allen, Trevor Ariza and Matt Barnes this summer. Not to sign two or three of those guys but one of them. I wanted them to get a premier perimeter defender. Ariza decided against becoming a free agent though so the trade route is the way to go to acquire him.
Old 07-23-13, 10:19 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
When we have a feeling something is in the works for the Spurs it usually turns out to be something way different than some speculate and makes no sense at first lol. You never know.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.