News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-13, 03:13 PM
SR Team Goof

Charles Barkley thinks it’s “silly” Sixers don’t have a coach yet

New Philadelphia GM Sam Hinkie is taking his time picking a coach for the Sixers. There was not one in place for the draft, not one for Summer League. He’s interviewing a handful of candidates, but there is no rush.

Sixers’ legend Charles Barkley doesn’t get it. At all.

Barkley doesn’t mince words and didn’t do so speaking with Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia on Friday.
“I think that’s one of the silliest things that I’ve seen in sports in a long time,” Barkley said on Comcast SportsNet’s Friday edition of “Philly Sports Talk.” “I’m in Philly during the summer as you know, and I’m watching and reading every day — to not have a coach under contract by now, I think that’s a joke. I don’t know what they’re waiting on. You’re playing summer-league games, people need to know who’s in charge. They got players who are playing in the summer league, they got assistant coaches coaching the team. You just can’t bring somebody in, and him have instant credibility — he has to build rapport with the players.”
Where the Sixers are in their coaching search depends on whom you ask. Thy reportedly are interviewing Heat assistant David Fizdale, Hawks assistant Quin Snyder, Spurs assistant Brett Brown, and also Kenny Atkinson. Also Sixers assistant Michael Curry, who coached the Summer League team for Philly, is in the mix and may be the favorite.

Philly has pursued a path of getting bad to get good — they traded away All-Star point guard Jrue Holiday for the potential of Nerlens Noel. They are going the full “woeful for Wiggins” route to get a good pick in the expectedly very deep 2014 draft. Plus they will have cap room.

It’s a good strategy if it works, but there are a number of teams going to go that route next season (the second half of the next season is going to be “Tankapaloza”). That strategy of being bad also buys Hinkie a few years to find some players; he doesn’t have to win now because he got ownership to buy into this plan when they hired him.

Because of that strategy the certainly had more time to get a coach in place, but it’s about time.

Link: Charles Barkley thinks it?s ?silly? Sixers don?t have a coach yet | ProBasketballTalk
Old 07-20-13, 03:17 PM
SR Team Goof

I have to agree with Barkley. To go through the NBA draft, go three weeks into free agency and all the way through the summer league games without the leadership of a head coach, there’s some questionable management going on in Philly. And the idea to ‘tank’ the season for a more desirable draft position in 2014, that’s absurd. If I were Brett Brown, I’d notify the Sixers and tell them “Thanks for the consideration, but no thanks”. And to ask a guy to try to manage a team with young athletes and have them to go half speed, that's a lot of ask of a new coach coming in, trying to make a name for himself and shouldn’t be levied onto players who are fighting to maintain a career in the NBA. That's a sign of a franchise with a shaky future and with some shady, severe management problems that should be resolved and may need some focus by the league.
Old 07-20-13, 06:58 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think Doug Collins would agree with Barkley too.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-20-13, 07:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

How can they prepare for the next season? Pop was preparing for next season on the bus ride after game 7.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-20-13, 11:53 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I thought Brett Brown was hired by them weeks ago?