News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-19-13, 10:35 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Thoughts on Summer League ?

Its not much of a data sample to go by but I came away with some impressions and thoughts.

I'm glad that the Spurs have the rights to Marcus Denmon and that he is stashed overseas where he can only get better.

I'm concerned about Cory Joseph's "re-injury" to his back. Stated as a re-injury, is this going to plague him throughout his career?

Deshaun Thomas likely gets invited to camp, if for no other reason, than the Spurs drafted him. Ideally, I'd like to see him get hooked up with an Asvel contract in France so that the Spurs don't lose him and he can learn to play SF and speak French at the same time, which is something he may need if he wants to play on future Spurs teams.

Hollis Thompson and Dexter Pittman may have shown enough to get invited to camp as longshots but the Spurs often invite players they took note of from other Summer League teams as well, so you never know.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 07-19-13 at 10:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-13, 11:06 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

They sure can't shoot.

Thomas was lights out until somebody finally started putting a hand in his face.

Spurs featured three quasi-rotation players from the big club and couldn't get into the second round of the playoffs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-20-13, 10:42 AM
SR Team Goof

Truth be told, I wish the teams could play more games, at least play one game against each team represented in the summer league (SL). That’s me and I just want to watch more b-ball. However, from the Spurs roster of non-contract players that impressed were Deshaun Thomas, Hollis Thompson, Dexter Pittman, Marcus Denmon and Amath M’Baye. With the Spurs roster already having 14 contract players, none of these SL players will receive a contract but we may see them in training camp, mainly as team fodder. I think all of the aforementioned players need more Euro or D-league play to season their game to warrant attention from the Spurs home team. Since Pittman has lost so much weight and seems more mobile and being a big, he might gain the attention from another NBA team.
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Old 07-20-13, 11:15 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Truth be told, I wish the teams could play more games, at least play one game against each team represented in the summer league (SL). That’s me and I just want to watch more b-ball. However, from the Spurs roster of non-contract players that impressed were Deshaun Thomas, Hollis Thompson, Dexter Pittman, Marcus Denmon and Amath M’Baye. With the Spurs roster already having 14 contract players, none of these SL players will receive a contract but we may see them in training camp, mainly as team fodder. I think all of the aforementioned players need more Euro or D-league play to season their game to warrant attention from the Spurs home team. Since Pittman has lost so much weight and seems more mobile and being a big, he might gain the attention from another NBA team.
Deshaun seems like he can play right now. Denmon needs more seasoning but has improved over last summer. I'd invite Pittman to training camp on a make good deal. Make a trade Spurs and clear some roster space.
Old 07-20-13, 12:58 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Only Deshaun T is the one I want!!!He can quickly TEAR it up! LOVE him...
Pitman might be good too.
Baynes is such a great promising hope!!!!
C Joseph keeps disappointing me and making me feel not so confident in him!
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 07-20-13, 01:06 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Deshaun seems like he can play right now. Denmon needs more seasoning but has improved over last summer. I'd invite Pittman to training camp on a make good deal. Make a trade Spurs and clear some roster space.
I gotta agree with ya, Will, about Thomas but with all the names of players the Spurs and SR members are ‘interested’ in, with only one roster spot left, the Spurs FO have to do some wheelin’ and dealin’ to clear some space for new folks to come in. And with the latest rumor of Blair’s supposed S&T with Washington, if there aren’t any other Spurs players included and the trade does come about, there goes the last roster spot. I’m thinking any Spurs FO decision on any trade is being held in abeyance til Oden makes up his mind where he’s going to sign. After that happens, dominoes are going to start falling all over the league.

"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Old 07-20-13, 01:19 PM
SR Team Goof

Oh, one other thing I took away from the Summer League games in Vegas, there’s a player on the Bucks named Ish Smith, a guard, who has the most lethal ‘hesitation’ move, followed by the fastest first step I’ve ever seen. In the game he played on Thursday (18 July), he laid this move on a couple guys and had them watching his dust.