News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-13, 02:20 PM
SR Team Goof

Mark Cuban says Mavericks are ‘in a better spot’ now than if they signed Dwight Howar

Brett Pollakoff, Jul 18, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT

The Mavericks were one of five teams Dwight Howard met with during his free agent tour, but for whatever reason, they were eliminated from contention fairly early in the process.

Now that Howard is with Houston, and Dallas has been forced to fill in its roster with many smaller pieces that may or may not help the team return to the playoffs, it shouldn’t come as any surprise that the spin from the team’s owner Mark Cuban is going to be a positive one.
From ESPN Dallas:
“I think we’ve put ourselves in a spot where we’re in a better spot than we were at if we got just the one max-out deal,” Cuban told ESPNDallas.com during the Mavs’ summer league game Wednesday night. “I think it’d be better shorter and longer term. I don’t want to make that sound the wrong way. I think we’ll be better this year because we added five good players or more.”
Cuban might be right about his team being better off in the shorter term without Howard and with the players the Mavericks were able to sign instead. But that logic only makes sense for one season.

Even with Howard in the fold and a healthy Dirk Nowitzki next year, no one would have Dallas near the top of their list of favorites to compete for the title. The sales pitch to Howard, and why it might’ve made sense to strongly consider Dallas as a destination, had to do with the future, beginning with the 2014 season.

Nowitzki’s current contract would be up by then, and he’s already gone on record saying he’ll take a substantial pay cut in his next deal in order to maximize his team’s chances of signing the talent necessary to return the Mavs to a championship-caliber squad. With Nowitzki and Howard in place, Dallas would immediately have become an attractive destination for the biggest names in free agency to consider.

Once Howard was out of the picture, Dallas signed Jose Calderon and Monta Ellis, and added Samuel Dalembert, as well. Those pieces might help the team more immediately than Howard would have given what the rest of the roster might have looked like, but it’s impossible to buy what Cuban is selling regarding his team being better off overall without Howard in place.

Related link: Mark Cuban says Mavericks are ‘in a better spot’ now than if they signed Dwight Howard | ProBasketballTalk
Old 07-18-13, 02:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

He's an idiot

- Confucius
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-13, 02:47 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Nah. He has a point. Until Howard proves that he's a winner, maxing him out is a gamble at best.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-13, 03:39 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Dallas filled more than a couple holes this offseason (in theory). They may, indeed, be better off. Maybe not. But Cuban's point is not invalid.
Old 07-18-13, 03:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Dudes an idiot. Spews all this garbage how he wants him and then the moment he can't, he backtracks and tries to convince his fanbase otherwise. U must be kidding if you think Calderon at 4 years and Ellis at 3 years equals Howard. I didnt mention Dalembert because his salary combined with the other 2 is more than max. Anyway, Howard and nowitzki would be a killer to any team. At that point you could have rounded roster with vet minimums. I doubt Dallas will be any better than they were last season and in NO WAY are they a better team presently constructed than they would have been if Howard joined.

Like I said, Cubans an idiot. If it wasn't for his fans being mavs fans, I'd actually feel sorry for them.

- Confucius
Old 07-18-13, 03:51 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I don't know. They have actual guards now.
Had Howard been signed, there was no one to bring up the ball.

Minimum guys wouldn't be your answer to point guard.
Old 07-18-13, 04:42 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

They'd still suck either way.
Old 07-18-13, 05:26 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Maybe a higher long term ceiling with Howard.
They would not have won many games next year with Howard, Nowitzki and Beaubois. And no one else.

They may be stuck in the NBA purgatory now. The best damn team to not make the playoffs! Or, the "Scola Zone".
Old 07-18-13, 05:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Maybe a higher long term ceiling with Howard.
They would not have won many games next year with Howard, Nowitzki and Beaubois. And no one else.

They may be stuck in the NBA purgatory now. The best damn team to not make the playoffs! Or, the "Scola Zone".
I disagree. Dirk would have been the perfect 4 to play high low post offense. Bring in a guy like Tony Allen and you could have had a killer interior and perimeter defense. As you said right now, Mavs are in 10-6 seed purgatory.
Old 07-18-13, 05:58 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
I disagree. Dirk would have been the perfect 4 to play high low post offense. Bring in a guy like Tony Allen and you could have had a killer interior and perimeter defense. As you said right now, Mavs are in 10-6 seed purgatory.
But the Mavs don't get Howard and Allen.
If they get Howard, they get rookies and the players MIA didn't want, because they only have minimum slots left.
Old 07-18-13, 05:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
I don't know. They have actual guards now.
Had Howard been signed, there was no one to bring up the ball.

Minimum guys wouldn't be your answer to point guard.
Calderon is overrated and vastly overpaid. Oj mayo who departed is pretty much the same type of player as monte ellis. I don't think they're that improved tbh but nonetheless agree to disagree. Also worth noting is that Howard will be completely healthy this season unlike last year and if he would have paired with nowitzki, that would have been the most dangerous frontcourt in recent memory

- Confucius
Old 07-18-13, 06:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
Calderon is overrated and vastly overpaid. Oj mayo who departed is pretty much the same type of player as monte ellis. I don't think they're that improved tbh but nonetheless agree to disagree. Also worth noting is that Howard will be completely healthy this season unlike last year and if he would have paired with nowitzki, that would have been the most dangerous frontcourt in recent memory
My point is:
If DAL signs Howard, then they have Howard, Nowitzki and no one, and no cap room. Maybe it works out, but they'd have serious issues in ball handling. Imagine Gary Neal is your full time starting point guard. Except your starting point guard is without a proven shooting stroke. THAT'S what DAL would have.

I see your point. Fantastic front court. But when the team turns it over 35 times a game, what good does it do?

And Howard will be completely healthy when he proves that he is completely healthy. Let's not assume that he's just gonna be awesome-er than ever.
Old 07-18-13, 07:27 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
Nah. He has a point. Until Howard proves that he's a winner, maxing him out is a gamble at best.
The only point he has is on his head... :drummer

Old 07-18-13, 09:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Either way---DALLAS is in the crapper. Howard is not good enough to build a team around. Ellis/Mayo shoot too much. Shame to waste Dirk's final years.
Old 07-20-13, 12:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

We saw how awesome front courts got toasted by the Spurs in the playoffs (Lakers n Grizzlies)... Teams aren't trying to run into that inevitable wall. Giving max to Dwight Howard is more than a gamble... It's plain moronic...

Still tho, this was more about Cuban saving face than having a viable alternative to Howard. Cuban is indeed an idiot.