News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-18-13, 08:11 AM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

DO THE SPURS EVEN NEED NEAL?

The San Antonio Spurs have made several signings early this offseason. The team addressed frontline needs and backcourt holes. Currently though the Spurs haven’t signed the combo guard Gary Neal, who has played well for the team the last couple of seasons. Neal, for his skill-set, is a great bargain and has hit huge shots for the Spurs.

Do the Spurs Even Need Neal?

I'm Batman's cousin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-13, 08:48 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

This decision could be made after the Summer League finish IMO.
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-13, 09:42 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post
This decision could be made after the Summer League finish IMO.
When you say decision, that’s where I’m confused. Didn’t the Spurs make a qualifying offer to Neal when free agency began? Now, if another NBA team does come forward and presents an offer sheet to Neal, the Spurs have the right to match the offer or pass. And if that does happen, I expect the Spurs to pass. However, if no team comes forward with an offer to Neal and Neal does except the Spurs qualifying offer, I would assume the Spurs would have to abide by Neal’s desire and sign him to a contract. Or is the qualifying offer not binding and the Spurs have other options here?
Old 07-18-13, 10:22 AM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

Spurs dont need him and I think they will be second guessing their decision to make a qualifying offer if no other team picks him up. IMO spurs need to keep open 1 to 2 spots on the roster to stay flexible for the rest of free agency in order to keep bolstering the squad. Neal isnt needed now that we have belinelli and so having him now would almost seem redundant and a waste of a spot.
Old 07-18-13, 11:52 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

There doesn't seem to be a huge demand for him in the marketplace and in reality he's already been replaced on the roster.
Old 07-18-13, 12:50 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

No they do not need Neal. They have a logjam of guards and need to keep a spot open like Michael said.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 07-18-13, 02:30 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Neil knows Cory Joseph will play the backup PG and that Ginobili and Belinelli are ahead of him in the 2 guard rotation. Most likely he needs and wants to go to a team that will play him. As a courtesy, the Spurs may have made a qualifying offer to let other teams know he is of value but no offers are coming and this could backfire for both the Spurs and Neil. Someone will pick him up before the season starts but its probably a tense situation right now.
Old 07-18-13, 06:22 PM
Herman Cain of the board

They don't need him to be honest but at the qualifying offer he is a steal at that price. And Pop stop using him as a point guard because that's not his position.
Old 07-18-13, 07:23 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

No way they're second guessing their decision to give him qualifying offer. Worst case, they get him on the qualifying offer and sell him cheap during the season. Teams would be happy to have him at that price (and he would come with Bird rights).
Old 07-18-13, 10:01 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

whos gonna score all those threes?
b/c of neal we made it to game 7 rather than being oust in game 6.
Old 07-18-13, 10:30 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
whos gonna score all those threes?
b/c of neal we made it to game 7 rather than being oust in game 6.
With the acquisition of Belinelli and the drafting of Thomas it seems the Spurs are trying to transition from shooters to scorers who are more versatile in scoring in different situations other than just the perimeter. Green has the same issue but is of more value because of his defense. I expect Green to come into camp having worked on that just like Bonner did last year.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 07-18-13 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-18-13, 11:25 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
When you say decision, that’s where I’m confused. Didn’t the Spurs make a qualifying offer to Neal when free agency began? Now, if another NBA team does come forward and presents an offer sheet to Neal, the Spurs have the right to match the offer or pass. And if that does happen, I expect the Spurs to pass. However, if no team comes forward with an offer to Neal and Neal does except the Spurs qualifying offer, I would assume the Spurs would have to abide by Neal’s desire and sign him to a contract. Or is the qualifying offer not binding and the Spurs have other options here?
The word decision was because one would think if by the end of SL the Spurs front office still can sign and get Gary Neal, they will do so at that Cheap price they offer. Exactly as Grizz said then run a scenario for him to be sign and traded possibly if not now it could happen during the year.
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 07-19-13, 10:39 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

i can see neal as good signing for memphis, heat, Houston. ..
Old 07-20-13, 08:19 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

No we do not. Trade him in conjunction with Blair for Ariza eliminating another roster spot for better pieces

- Confucius