News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-17-13, 10:21 PM
SpursReport Rookie

2014 cap thought

So, the Spurs will basically be at the cap this year, or just a little bit over. Between Bonner, Diaw and Mills alone, they have about $10 million coming off the cap next year. What if, in all the Manu contract talks, they gave him a 2 year, $14 million contract, with the intention of amnestying him next year in a prearranged deal where he walks away. The Spurs still pay Manu the $7 million he is owed, and he gets his 'years of service' money. The Spurs get another $7 million off the cap next year due to the amnesty, in addition to the $10 million aforementioned. That gives them, just guessing, $15-17 million in cap space next year, in the year of the big free agent bonanza. Tony will also be in the final year, and have a non guaranteed contract. Maybe there is an extension with him that ends up being a longer contract, but more cap friendly in the first year. Timmy will also have a player option year, just saying. Not saying any of this will happen, other than Diaw, Bonner and Mills coming off the books, if we keep them this year. But, just another look at how the Spurs could and do keep cap flexibility.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-17-13, 10:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

manu cant be amnestied as his deal was signed after the CBA
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-13, 06:08 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Thanks for the info. Guess it's 2015 we look to for big changes.
Old 07-18-13, 10:33 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I think with Leonard/Tiago/Tony as the main guys going forward in 2015

After Tim/Gino off the books I go to Kevin Love and you give him the Max and hopefully go from there....
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 07-18-13, 01:54 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS View Post
I think with Leonard/Tiago/Tony as the main guys going forward in 2015

After Tim/Gino off the books I go to Kevin Love and you give him the Max and hopefully go from there....
Love is a pipe dream at best. It's well known he wants to play in LA. He's from the Arran and played college ball there. They have a ton of money available coming up, I would be surprised if the Lakers don't employ him in the next year or two.
Old 07-18-13, 02:02 PM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

Love would be great but like you say I cant see it coming to fruition.
Old 07-18-13, 02:21 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Although, the Lakers cap space is for 2014. My guess is that it will be entirely used up on the FA crop from next year.
Old 07-19-13, 07:52 AM
SpursReport Team Member

2014 free agents are not very attractive right now, unless Lebron, Wade or Bosh opts out(which is unlikely).

That's why clearing cap space for 2014 is not logical. But in 2015, there will be some pretty free-agents.
Old 07-19-13, 08:29 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

You guys just don't get how the Spurs operate.

We will not be going for a max player EVER!

The only way we get a max player is if we draft a max player.

Let's hope Kawhi or one of our overseas guys turns into a max player.

We aren't signing Love
We aren't going after Lebron, or Melo, or whomever you guys have fantasies about.

That is not how the Spurs build their teams

AND

I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 07-19-13, 03:33 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
2014 free agents are not very attractive right now, unless Lebron, Wade or Bosh opts out(which is unlikely).

That's why clearing cap space for 2014 is not logical. But in 2015, there will be some pretty free-agents.
I think it's very likely that James opts out. He can command another max salary that starts in the '14-'15 season.

The other two, probably not.

And, if the Heat win a third in a row, all bets are off on James. he may stick around to try for four.