News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-12-13, 11:55 PM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

Thoughts on first summer league game?

Cojo with the game winner with 4 seconds left. Thomas looked like a scorer. Baynes played decent other than getting posterized.
I only got to see some of the second half so what did any of you who saw more think?
Old 07-13-13, 12:01 AM
SpursReport Team Member

After one game and in my humble opinion D. Thomas has talent and looks like a player. CJ did good tonight with only 4 turnovers.

Not impressed with our center Richards. Just doesn't look like a basketball player too me but I'm no talent evaluator..haha

Nando Colo was ok.

Baynes needs to get stronger.

Again these kids have a long way to go and this is good practice for them but again I see player in D. Thomas. Nice jump shot and hustle. Look forward to the next game.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-13-13, 12:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDAMAGE View Post
After one game and in my humble opinion D. Thomas has talent and looks like a player. CJ did good tonight with only 4 turnovers.

Not impressed with our center Richards. Just doesn't look like a basketball player too me but I'm no talent evaluator..haha

Nando Colo was ok.

Baynes needs to get stronger.

Again these kids have a long way to go and this is good practice for them but again I see player in D. Thomas. Nice jump shot and hustle. Look forward to the next game.
Baynes seems mighty strong already. Do you mean he needs to play stronger as in more aggressively?

I think Richards is already perceived as a wasted draft pick. Anything negative mentioned about him doesn't surprise me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-13-13, 01:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I thought Baynes looked terrible all game, although he didn't get a lot of scoring opportunities in the first half. He looked especially bad at the end of the game when he got the ball taken out of his hands by a guy half his size. Richards seemed content to take shots (and miss them) on the perimeter rather than use his size in the post. Joseph did as well as expected for a player coming up on his third year in the league.

Thomas has a good stroke especially when he has an open shot. He didn't look great defensively though that could be attributed to this being a summer league game. At 6'7'' and 225 he has the body type to match up against other threes but then again he didn't look that quick on the court but then again that could be attributed to the nature of summer league games. I'd like to see if he has the ability to create his own shot off the dribble and I'd like to see him try to guard an athletic SF just to see if he can stay in front of him.
Old 07-13-13, 05:26 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Richards- never going to make it.
Baynes-has potential just needs more confidence, needs to become more of a presence down low.
Decolo-very forgettable.
Cory- lived what I saw just needs to work on finishing.
Thomas- has the most potentail to make the squad, needs to do more defensively. Wouldn't be shocked If he became the 15th spur.
Old 07-13-13, 09:35 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Baynes seems mighty strong already. Do you mean he needs to play stronger as in more aggressively?

I think Richards is already perceived as a wasted draft pick. Anything negative mentioned about him doesn't surprise me.

My bad, yes as in more aggressive.
Old 07-13-13, 09:45 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Jeff McDonald, Staff Writer

Here are three other takeaways from the Spurs’ Summer League-opening victory ….

* Second-rounder Deshaun Thomas has never had trouble scoring the ball. He was the leading scorer in the Big Ten last season at Ohio State after all. After missing his first three shots in his inaugural game with the Spurs on Friday, Thomas finished with 18 points on 7 of 13 shooting. “It’s what we’ve seen from him in practice and what he’s done his whole life,” Udoka said. “He has a knack for scoring in a lot of different ways.”
A natural power forward, Thomas will have to adjust defensively to play small forward at the NBA level. He’s never had to chase wing players around the perimeter before and remains a work in progress in that regard.

* As promised, Nando De Colo played mostly off the ball Friday, and produced a mix bag. He finished with 12 points, including a key jumper late in the fourth quarter, but was also 4 of 12 from the field and committed three turnovers. Like Thomas, De Colo also struggled at times to adjust defensively to guarding a different kind of player — bigger shooting guards and opposed to smaller point guards. He ended with five fouls because of it.

* The third leg of the Spurs’ summertime Big Three, big man Aron Baynes, was active if inconsistent. He had five points, including a nifty left-handed hook off a feed from Ryan Richards, and fought for a team-high eight rebounds. Baynes also turned in a demonstrative block of Charlotte’s Abdul Gaddy in the second half.

* Thomas’ size (6-foot-7) is legit, and although he may fill an immediate need as a backup to small forward Kawhi Leonard, the No. 58 overall pick still might be hard-pressed to make a roster that already has 14 players committed for next season.

*Another post player project, Ryan Richards, appears to have added bulk since his foray with the Summer Spurs last July. He’s listed at 6-foot-11 and 230 pounds now. Still, Richards didn’t do much with his nearly 10 minutes of playing time, scoring two points (1 for 5) and collecting a single rebound.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...beats-bobcats/
Old 07-13-13, 10:23 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

It sounds like DeColo and Thomas have a lot of work to do on getting comfortable with perimeter defense. Neither one of them is particularly quick and Baynes needs to just get comfortable period but that's what Summer League is all about and this was only the first game.
Old 07-13-13, 10:57 AM
SR Team Goof

What I saw was a bunch of rookies, guided by 3 ‘vets’, all of whom had probably a few days practice together. For the majority of the game, Udoka ran with a 7 man rotation with Baynes, Joseph and DeColo playing the most minutes and 4-5 players not getting off the bench. The one guy I most wanted to see, Pittman, didn’t crack the lineup, probably because of that laceration/bandage above his left eye. But one thing was for sure, Pittman has definitely lost a lot of weight. Of the players who played the most, other than DeColo, Joseph and Baynes, I’d say that Deshaun Thomas is definitely a spot shooter and could be a steal at the 58th pick. I wonder if he’ll continue playing like that when he hits ‘the wall’. He could use some extra training on dribbling and handling the ball in a crowd. The other player I liked was Hollis Thompson who looks to be a good ‘stop and shoot’ player. All in all, rookies playing together with little practice, first game of summer league and eagerness to excel and please, it’s what I expected. It’s only the first game and the team is guaranteed to play 5 games with this league play. Oh, one last thing that tended to piss me off, why do our guards stall around the top of the key,using up 5-10 seconds of the 24 second clock before they run a play? I watched games all day Friday and the Spurs were the slowest to get their offense started. Joseph and DeColo handled the ball entirely too long and should have gotten their teammates more involved instead of their individual play. Then again, that may have been the game plan instructions they received from the bench. IMHO.
Old 07-13-13, 01:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

My short take:

Richards: not impressed. Large frame and focusedorr on quick jumpshots and ugly faadeaways, didn't try to mix it up in the paint from either offense or defense, slow rotation.

DeColo: a bit helterskelter, needs to work on handles, jumpshot, and shot/pass selection. Pop would have roasted him in this game.

Cory: was confident, maybe too aggressive at times, jumper looked good but want to see more of it and with more purpose, needs more ball handling practice for nba vs summer league

Thomas: did well for what was given to him, garbage shots but not bad, good aggressiveness not sure it translates to nba, no real moves just get and pop, probably get invite to camp

Baynes: disappointed, looked out of comfort zone, didn't do much offensively accept a few basic put backs if that, jumper nonexistent, some horrible offensive decisions/moves , defensively did just okay but again looked awkward.

No one else was worth mentioning...
Old 07-13-13, 05:37 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Thomas has to convince the Spurs he can learn to play SF if he wants a contract. If he gets that far, the Spurs have to decide if they want to tie up a roster spot in the D-league for a couple of years. It seems like a tall order to overcome.
Old 07-15-13, 12:42 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Game 2:

Thomas seems to be tearing it up at PF but Udoka has not thrown him into the SF spot yet. If he performs anywhere near as well at SF, I can see him getting a contract.

Coach Udoka doesn't see Baynes putting in the effort in his offense sets.

Coach Udoka doesn't even bring up the subject of Nando.

Coach Udoka had good things to say about Dexter Pittman.

Coach Udoka seems to be ready to push Cory Joseph to that final NBA point guard tweek where Cory becomes verbal to his team mates on the floor.
Old 07-15-13, 01:27 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Other than COJO and Thomas I wasn't impressed by our play last night.

Pittman does look a little better to me then Baynes.

So disappointed in De Colo play. I thought he was suppose to be good. Am I missing something?
Old 07-15-13, 01:54 PM
SR Team Goof

Last summer, Leonard was told to concentrate on his scoring and ball handling abilities during summer league play. I gotta wonder what instructions the Spurs leadership gave Joseph and DeColo to concentrate more on. Clearly, Joseph has come to play while DeColo is a no-show. We've seen Pittman who I think needs more work to crack any lineup. Not very assertive. Denmom is starting to get more time and scoring. So far, I'd sign Thomas and send him to Austin and work on his defense, ball handling, passing and developing his own shot because he can definitely nail it when he's left alone. Bring on game #3.
Old 07-15-13, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Last summer, Leonard was told to concentrate on his scoring and ball handling abilities during summer league play. I gotta wonder what instructions the Spurs leadership gave Joseph and DeColo to concentrate more on. Clearly, Joseph has come to play while DeColo is a no-show. We've seen Pittman who I think needs more work to crack any lineup. Not very assertive. Denmom is starting to get more time and scoring. So far, I'd sign Thomas and send him to Austin and work on his defense, ball handling, passing and developing his own shot because he can definitely nail it whens he's left alone. Bring on game #3.

Yeah forgot to mention Thomas does need to improve his defense..
Old 07-15-13, 02:18 PM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDAMAGE View Post
Other than COJO and Thomas I wasn't impressed by our play last night.

Pittman does look a little better to me then Baynes.

So disappointed in De Colo play. I thought he was suppose to be good. Am I missing something?
Yeah so far it seems like cojo and thomas has been the bright spots while the guys were I was hoping to see more from, baynes and de colo, havent been particularly great. It may be something where de colo benefits more from having great players around him rather than him himself making the team better imo.
Old 07-15-13, 04:17 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuspence281 View Post
....It may be something where de colo benefits more from having great players around him rather than him himself making the team better imo.
Rick Fox, the NBATV commentator, mentioned that DeColo should be considered a 'veteran' since he's played so much Euro ball in France and last year in SA and should be dominating play with his experience.
Old 07-16-13, 01:15 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

I am actually VERY Disappointed in Cory Joseph!

His improvement in running the Spurs NBA point guard is coming at a very slow motion.

Don't get me wrong, I like his defense, but I am still not sold that his improvement on Ball Handling and getting his teammates involved in moving the ball and dishing.

This is why I am a bit worried if Pop and the Front Office could not find a quality back up point guard to help TP next year.

I do LOVE that D. Thomas and according to RC Buford this guy might fill this VOID of GAP behind our HORSE Kawhi.... I hope Thomas keeps tearing it up and he will earn a spot here and play SF if he puts all his heart to it. LOVE his FOCUS and the toughness he is showing. Glad we had picked him up in the second round...He is a Scorer and is determined to WIN!!!! LOVE his attitude!!!!

Pittman looks ok but he needs a lot of work still not too shabby.

Baynes was impressive on the boards tonight with his 15 Rebounds (Highest Honor of Boards in the SL this year!!!!) . At the end of that game vs. Atla Baynes said in the interview that he needed to REBOUND and have a BETTER POSITION and I LOVED to see the BIG improvement from game 1 this summer league to game 3 win vs Atla. I thought he prob was a bit nervous the past two games?...... This is that Baynes who could HELP us!!!!

De Colo seemed to be trying so hard to impress and I did like a lot of his game vs. Atlanta much better than the previous 2 SL games. De Colo has a very high basketball IQ and I like his demeanor and approach despite his little D. Can't wait to see his Defense improve more so Pop can grant him more minutes.

Other than that I was not impressed with anyone else the last few SL games. Let's hope to see our Spurs continue their improvements so we can find out who will be the best on this SL at the end!!!

Go Spurs Go!

Last edited by spurscrazed; 07-16-13 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-16-13, 08:08 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

"I am actually VERY Disappointed in Cory Joseph!"

The coach said he aggravated an old back injury before the game.

The coach said he was pleased with De Colo's perimeter D.

I'm still hoping I hear the same comment from him in regards to Thomas before this tournament is over.
Old 07-16-13, 09:38 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
"I am actually VERY Disappointed in Cory Joseph!"

The coach said he aggravated an old back injury before the game.
That makes sense then. I hope he gets well soon!!!

I thought we had to go back to PG by committee again... Lol
Old 07-16-13, 09:53 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

maybe is a team police talk about their active players only, and leave judgment of unsigned players until they reach deal or relase....