News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-23-13, 12:39 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Just saw from Marc Stein on Twitter that Miller has met with the grizzlies owner and is being pursued as well by the OKC thunder and personally lobbied by Kevin Durant and Sam Presti.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-23-13, 01:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS View Post
Deadspin reporting that it's down to Spurs & Heat and the Pelicans are out ..

Wonder what # he will where in MIA! Lol
Looks more and more like it might become a reality to see him in silver and black (knocking on wood BIG TIME and I didnt mean for that to sound dirty). I expect some roster shuffling especially sign and trade involving Blair and maybe Neal

- Confucius
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-23-13, 01:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Just saw from Marc Stein on Twitter that Miller has met with the grizzlies owner and is being pursued as well by the OKC thunder and personally lobbied by Kevin Durant and Sam Presti.
Miller's not Oden and rather have D Thomas or Ariza over Miller. To get Ariza a sign and trade will need to be facilitated

- Confucius
Old 07-23-13, 01:32 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Ariza would be huge....dang he would fit well

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 07-23-13, 01:34 PM

Hard to say who I'd pick over an issue between Greg Oden and Mike Miller. Both are injury prone. Both fill a need. Bodin has bigger upside in terms of potential contribution and long-term value, but Miller is a playoff proven veteran without whom the heat could not have beaten us.
Old 07-23-13, 01:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Mark Stein on Twitter was saying earlier that Miller has met with the grizzlies owner and is being pursued hard by the OKC thunder, including being lobbied personally by Kevin Durant and having a meeting with Sam Presti.
U wrote that already didnt u Grizz?

- Confucius
Old 07-23-13, 01:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipmode Master View Post
Ariza would be huge....dang he would fit well
Sure would. Not so sure who else our FO would go for besides him. Maybe a package of Neal, De Colo (or Mills) and Blair can get it done......

- Confucius
Old 07-23-13, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
U wrote that already didnt u Grizz?
Yeah I didn't see it when I came back so I reposted it but then I edited it out.
Old 07-23-13, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Sure would. Not so sure who else our FO would go for besides him. Maybe a package of Neal, De Colo (or Mills) and Blair can get it done......
It would appear that he is the odd man out with the wizards drafting otto porter and re-signing Martell Webster, not to mention they still have Chris Singleton. I think Neil and belayer would both be good for them and that could potentially get us to the salary level we would need to make a deal for Ariza work.
Old 07-23-13, 02:12 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Hard to say who I'd pick over an issue between Greg Oden and Mike Miller. Both are injury prone. Both fill a need. Bodin has bigger upside in terms of potential contribution and long-term value, but Miller is a playoff proven veteran without whom the heat could not have beaten us.
I feel your dilemma and agree with your assessment of both. But if I had to choose, I'd probably go with Oden because we can use another big who can be used as an intimidator now defensively and brought along slowly offensively. Whereas, Miller can be signed by another team (hopefully not OKC) and won't be returning to Miami for any repeat performances.
Old 07-23-13, 03:33 PM
SR Team Goof

Aggrey Sam: Heard Duncan has some bigs coming through for an informal camp. Hibbert shouldn't have spoke on it, now others get the knowledge. Twitter @CSNBullsInsider

I gotta wonder if TD has extended an invite to Oden to his summer workout sessions, let's say as a 'peace offering' and hopefully as a 'welcome to the Spurs' gesture. Hibbert has already stated in a tweet that he intends to join TD again for their workouts.
Old 07-23-13, 03:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
It would appear that he is the odd man out with the wizards drafting otto porter and re-signing Martell Webster, not to mention they still have Chris Singleton. I think Neil and belayer would both be good for them and that could potentially get us to the salary level we would need to make a deal for Ariza work.
With the news of renouncing Neal, I still hope the FO can get something for him. As much as I'd love to have Ariza, if we dont make it happen we still have the rook D Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I feel your dilemma and agree with your assessment of both. But if I had to choose, I'd probably go with Oden because we can use another big who can be used as an intimidator now defensively and brought along slowly offensively. Whereas, Miller can be signed by another team (hopefully not OKC) and won't be returning to Miami for any repeat performances.
I'd go with Oden hands down. No question about it! Miller can go anywhere he wants, but he wont be getting the wide open shots he was getting with MIA anywhere else. Now if Neal were to go to a rival like OKC or MIA then I can see a reason to worry. If that were to happen I woud NOT cry because he's as good as a shooter as bad as he is at defending. Thats not to make a joke of him, but I've been harping on his defense or lack thereof, since his first season with us.

Quote:
Aggrey Sam: Heard Duncan has some bigs coming through for an informal camp. Hibbert shouldn't have spoke on it, now others get the knowledge. Twitter @CSNBullsInsider

I gotta wonder if TD has extended an invite to Oden to his summer workout sessions, let's say as a 'peace offering' and hopefully as a 'welcome to the Spurs' gesture. Hibbert has already stated in a tweet that he intends to join TD again for their workouts.
Interesting way to look at it. I'm hopeful that at least Timmay reached out to ODEN. If he took the initiative, I think Oden will be here for training camp.

- Confucius
Old 07-23-13, 04:26 PM
SR Team Goof

This just in:

Marc J. Spears: Free agent center Greg Oden to make decision next week picking from Sacramento, Miami, ATL, NO, San Antonio & Dallas, source told Y! Sports. Twitter @SpearsNBAYahoo

Anybody got some pins and needles for me to sit on? This is too much drama, it's holding up the wagon train.
Old 07-23-13, 04:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
This just in:

Marc J. Spears: Free agent center Greg Oden to make decision next week picking from Sacramento, Miami, ATL, NO, San Antonio & Dallas, source told Y! Sports. Twitter @SpearsNBAYahoo

Anybody got some pins and needles for me to sit on? This is too much drama, it's holding up the wagon train.
IMO You can eliminate Dallas right off the bat. I can only see him playing for NO (because of how close he his to the coach), MIA (obvious reasons) and us. A tweet earlier today said that NO was no longer option, but Im sure the situation is fluid enough

- Confucius
Old 07-23-13, 06:02 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I don't see Dallas getting him since they inked Big Sam.
Old 07-23-13, 06:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

If we were really an option or interested, wouldn't we have turned up to his workout?
Old 07-23-13, 06:37 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzzyG View Post
If we were really an option or interested, wouldn't we have turned up to his workout?
That's a good point but sometimes these workouts are recorded to send to teams for viewing. Also there times that even teams will draft a player that they never even personally worked out. So the Spurs being absent doesn't mean much really. They like to fly under the radar and they have met up with him already. Which wasn't even reported until after it happened.
Old 07-23-13, 08:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
That's a good point but sometimes these workouts are recorded to send to teams for viewing. Also there times that even teams will draft a player that they never even personally worked out. So the Spurs being absent doesn't mean much really. They like to fly under the radar and they have met up with him already. Which wasn't even reported until after it happened.
Very good point about flying under radar. Spurs are interested and have made it know for months. I like to believe that and think most of us here feel the same way. Oden would be great here in a no pressure situation. Out FO more than likely laid out a plan and expectations as far as contract and PT to Oden and he is just doing his due diligence. Also needing to be noted, is that the spurs can feel confident enough to want to sign him without seeing a training session so I think our teams absence is not a big deal at all

- Confucius
Old 07-24-13, 04:44 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Shoot, if Oden had played in a game sometime in this decade, I might get excited.
He's going to be a $1M drain on some team's salary cap. I hope it's not San Antonio's.
Old 07-24-13, 05:05 PM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Shoot, if Oden had played in a game sometime in this decade, I might get excited.
He's going to be a $1M drain on some team's salary cap. I hope it's not San Antonio's.
Typically the person only making $1m on a teams roster is getting paid to sit there and look pretty. If we can get someone who can do that and have some possible upside then you do it in a heartbeat.

Best case: he provides some interior presence once tims on the bench
Worst case: he gets injured again and still has the effectiveness that baynes had the entire time he was with us last year for about the same price.
Old 07-24-13, 08:22 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Give me guy who'll bounce between the d-league and spell some of the old guys. The Spurs have had more luck with someone like that filling a roster spot than broken down guys who haven't played in a handful of years.

Hey! I know! How about someone who's cleared for contact?
Old 07-24-13, 10:43 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Oden is a low risk high reward project who is only 25 years old. A D League prospect is a low risk low reward project. I'd give Oden a try. I loved the Kawhi trade when it happened because the Spurs took a risk and got rewarded by it. The Spurs have in recent past years tried the parade of D Leaguers and it didn't work.(Blake Ahearn, Cedric Jackson, Derrick Byars, Justin Dentmon etc.) Flat out didn't work.
Old 07-25-13, 12:02 AM

Yeah, I'm all for giving Oden a shot. We are expecting zero from the 15th man, so if it's a healthy Oden, that's a guy who is as good a player if not better than Splitter. In my book you take that risk any day of the week.
Old 07-25-13, 07:55 PM
Herman Cain of the board

The Miami Heat, New Orleans Pelicans and Sacramento Kings were previously scheduled to watch free agent center Greg Oden work out this week. The list widened on Thursday with the San Antonio Spurs and Atlanta Hawks, who joined the Pelicans in watching the 2007 first overall draft pick work out individually in Indianapolis, according to ESPN's Marc Stein.
Old 07-25-13, 08:36 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzzyG View Post
Yes...they watched him today....
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 07-26-13, 02:59 PM

Anyone heard any reports or anything on how he looked? I'm assuming they didnt see anything terrible or we would have heard something...
Old 07-26-13, 03:24 PM
SR Team Goof

I wish somebody would goose this guy to make a decision so we can go on vacation.
Old 07-26-13, 04:27 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuspence281 View Post
Anyone heard any reports or anything on how he looked? I'm assuming they didnt see anything terrible or we would have heard something...

LAS VEGAS – Jrue Holday and Ryan Anderson have heard about the New Orleans Pelicans as one of the teams considering the signing of Greg Oden, and both endorse the possibility.
“[Signing Oden] would be awesome, a great addition to what we want to do,” Holiday told RealGM late Thursday.
Oden hasn’t played in an NBA game since 2009, but players around USA Basketball this week had heard through people close to the center that he’s looked fluid in workouts. Oden, 25, was the No. 1 pick in the 2007 NBA draft.
“A healthy Greg Oden is a great player, so I’d definitely be excited to play alongside him,” Anderson told RealGM. “Obviously, it seems we might need another big center.”
After one standout season at Ohio State, Oden has averages of 9.4 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks over 82 games in the NBA.
Old 07-26-13, 07:54 PM
SR Team Goof

Oden’s Comeback Destination Due In Days

His workouts complete, his guests leaving in some mixture of intrigued and wary, sidelined center Greg Oden could choose the NBA team with which he’ll attempt his latest comeback as soon as Monday, one of his agents said Friday.

Six teams are believed to have scouted the 7-footer — the No. 1 pick in the 2007 Draft who has played a total of 82 games in six years due to multiple knee injuries — in workouts in Oden’s native Indianapolis, including Miami, New Orleans, Sacramento, San Antonio, Atlanta and Dallas.

Agent Bill Duffy declined to reveal details, but said contract talks have ranged from general conversation to more specific terms, as the teams consider both the rewards and the risks of signing a premier talent whose body, thus far, has been unable to withstand the rigors of NBA play.

“Physically, he’s awesome,” Duffy said Friday afternoon. “We’re very happy with where he is. [His health and impact are] going to depend on monitoring him and his minutes.”

Oden, 25, has not played in an NBA game since Dec. 5, 2009. Four days earlier, in his final full performance for Portland against Miami, he had 13 points, 20 rebounds and four blocked shots in 30 minutes.

In 61 games in 2008-09 and 21 the next season, Oden averaged 9.4 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in 22.1 minutes while shooting 57.7 percent. He has had three microfracture knee surgeries, which might dissuade teams from offering more than a veteran’s minimum salary, perhaps with appearance-driven incentives.

Another of Oden’s agents is Mike Conley, Sr., whose son is a point guard for the Memphis Grizzlies and a friend from their days together in high school and college. Mike Conley Jr. told Sean Deveney the Sporting News this week that he thinks Oden, in spurts, might be able to help a team.

“I expect him to come back and be someone who in short periods of time can dominate a game,” Conley said. “Just let him build up and get back to himself. I think it would be a little unfair to put him out there and give him 40 minutes.”

The NBA has a checkered history of players who have managed to return from career-threatening injuries. Miami president Pat Riley recently talked about players such as Kurt Thomas and Zydrunas Ilgauskas, both of whom were hampered for several seasons by foot problems, yet revived their careers through rehab. Guard Shaun Livingston, now with Brooklyn, is another whose NBA days seemed in 2007 after a leg injury captured in a gruesome YouTube video.

But Oden’s teammate in Portland, Brandon Roy, was unsuccessful in a comeback attempt last fall with the Minnesota Timberwolves. Houston’s 7-foot-6 Yao Ming ultimately was forced into retirement at age 30 in 2011 by chronic foot fractures.

The best spot for Oden to land? That likely depends on a team’s balance sheet, its risk tolerance and its commitment to patience and modest results. The teams showing interest in Oden run the gamut, from the NBA’s two-time defending champions in Miami and perennial contenders in San Antonio, to lottery teams last season in New Orleans, Sacramento and Dallas. Atlanta, too, is in the midst of an overhaul and shopping.

Portland, the team that drafted Oden over No. 2 Kevin Durant six years ago and paid him more than $23 million for the equivalent of one season’s production, apparently is not interested. Curiously, a team missing from the list of six is Phoenix, which has one of the most respected training staffs in the league that’s been a draw for ailing players such as Grant Hill and Jermaine O’Neal.

Should Oden reach a deal with Miami, the spotlight on him will be hotter than with any of the other five. He’ll risk being seen as something of a front-runner, as he would to a lesser extent with the Spurs. Then again, Miami took a similar flyer on Eddy Curry without much clamor and facilitated Chris [Birdman] Andersen‘s return as a valuable contributor who never rocked the Big Three boat of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

Any of the teams lower in the pecking order — the Pelicans, Kings, Hornets or Hawks — could offer more modest expectations. And if Oden were to stay healthy and help one of them, he might find himself with more supporters nationally and globally than he would by jumping aboard the Miami or San Antonio bandwagons.

“We’ve looked at all the scenarios,” Duffy said Friday. “There might be less pressure if he tries this with a team that’s rebuilding. Then again, the quality of the medical staff will matter. Maybe a winning team has chemistry that’s good or his role would be clearly defined.”

Oden’s choice, assuming he picks from among multiple offers, will affect not only his NBA future but the number of people rooting for him to have one.

Link: Oden’s Comeback Destination Due In Days
Old 07-26-13, 09:26 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I don't think he lands in SA but you never know. What I am hoping for is that once his decision is made, that the dominoes start falling and we get closer to the Spurs roster for the coming season.
Old 07-28-13, 07:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sports Buzz | The Miami Herald

"Miami awaits a decision from Greg Oden, which his agent said could come as early as Monday. Though it wouldn’t be surprising if Miami is outbid, his agent said he likes that the Heat could afford to bring him along slowly."

[COLOR=#000000]
Read more here: Sports Buzz | The Miami Herald[/COLOR]

Well, it is beginning to look like Miami is where he is going especially since there is no mention of San Antonio by his agent.
Old 07-29-13, 08:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas97 View Post
Sports Buzz | The Miami Herald

"Miami awaits a decision from Greg Oden, which his agent said could come as early as Monday. Though it wouldnt be surprising if Miami is outbid, his agent said he likes that the Heat could afford to bring him along slowly."

[COLOR=#000000]
Read more here: Sports Buzz | The Miami Herald[/COLOR]

Well, it is beginning to look like Miami is where he is going especially since there is no mention of San Antonio by his agent.
Yep, either the New Orleans or the Heat. To hell with him... He knew where he wanted to! He just drug this whole crappy scenario out. But at least that hopefully means we get Mo Williams and possibly Ariza in a trade. He can take his Samuel Jackson,breakable bones to South Beach. The Spurs will be just fine as always.
Old 07-29-13, 03:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Rumor is he chose Miami cHeat. Nothing official I've seen yet.
Old 07-29-13, 04:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If he does choose the heat I will have zero respect for the guy. Hope the FO is working hard behind the scenes to round the roster out

- Confucius
Old 07-29-13, 04:51 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
If he does choose the heat I will have zero respect for the guy.
Why? If he does go to South Beach he's no different than a large percentage of other nba guys who want to live and play in a city that's known for it's nightlife. Seems to me that the vast majority of nba players are American urban kids who are into flash and trash, can't fault him for that.

Personally i hope he does go somewhere else, I don't think his knees will last an entire year, very few players have ever come back completely from one micro-fracture surgery much less two.
Old 07-29-13, 04:52 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I agree with Low Risk and High reward for Greg Oden. But the Guy had Micro fracture surgery several times and has not played in 4 years. This is not Adrian Peterson. We should use the last Spot for someone that will help the Spurs not hold them back..
Old 07-29-13, 05:33 PM
SR Team Goof

Before, I was rooting to get this guy here, but the more I read and think about this guy, Im afraid the Spurs would take on a lot of baggage if Oden did decide to come here. We dont need another project like we had with Mahinmi. Oden hasnt played any team competition since 2009 and as an article recently stated, he has yet to participate in a 5-on-5 situation. Any impact he will have on a game would be late in the season until he gets his game legs back, if he does. The company line that his agents are preaching is for the selected team to bring him along slowly and not overplay him. Who knows how many minutes he would play, even if he does get his legs. And to take on an 82 game schedule? I think he and his agents need to find a patsy who will sign him and take care of his hospital bills. If he does make a miraculous recovery and play, good for him, but at this point, after long consideration, Im jumping off the Oden bandwagon and I think the Spurs FO should wave bye to this guy in their rearview mirror and get on with any other business they might have put on the back burner.
Old 07-29-13, 06:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post
I agree with Low Risk and High reward for Greg Oden. But the Guy had Micro fracture surgery several times and has not played in 4 years. This is not Adrian Peterson. We should use the last Spot for someone that will help the Spurs not hold them back..
I think I've been saying that for a while.

Sign someone who's been cleared for practice.
Fill the last spot with someone who has played this decade. Stuff like that. All I got back was low risk, high reward.
Now that it looks like he's heading somewhere else, the 'hell with him' guys start chiming in.
Old 07-29-13, 08:49 PM

I think that if we miss out on oden, we need to try to at least get mo williams while also still getting rid of our extra point guard baggage in order to sign our second round pick thomas or someone else who can fill in for kawhi for 10-15 minutes a night.

I'm just ready for this to be over with so we can get on with finishing up our roster. Lets get going already.
Old 07-29-13, 10:22 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

The Spurs I don't think are waiting around for this guy to decide....just don't think he will be here...unless the Spurs come out and give him a multi year deal and I don't see the Spurs doing that with Duncan/Splitter & Baynes as true Centers...

Oden knows where he is going...just we can confirm and move on cause its getting old real fast....

We where linked to him for a long time and its just gonna be another player who used our name to pretend he wanted to come here for his image but they never choose SA!
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 07-29-13, 10:40 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The Oden situation reminds me of Michael Olauakandi (if I spelled it right). He was a 7 footer for the Clippers and was playing great ball. Contract came up and then started the rumors of him coming to the Spurs to end up going to the Celtics. The thing with him was bad knees. No team really wanted to risk signing bad knees. Lo and behold he went to a bball powerhouse and faded into obscurity. I see this happening with Oden. I think he will have flashes of potential but those knees are too much of a risk from a business standpoint. Me personally, I'd rather develop Aaron B. I think he has the toughness and team oriented mindset that can help out a lot.
Old 07-30-13, 07:47 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
I think I've been saying that for a while.

Sign someone who's been cleared for practice.
Fill the last spot with someone who has played this decade. Stuff like that. All I got back was low risk, high reward.
Now that it looks like he's heading somewhere else, the 'hell with him' guys start chiming in.
Better than sign a D League guy like someone suggested.
Old 07-30-13, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Better than sign a D League guy like someone suggested.
Yeah, I'd much rather have a guy whose entire career consists mostly of being unable to play and who (if past history is a good indicator of the future) will spend the majority of the season sitting in a doctor's office or the hospital than a guy who can actually play and who might get better and be able to contribute.
Old 07-30-13, 05:49 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Yeah, I'd much rather have a guy whose entire career consists mostly of being unable to play and who (if past history is a good indicator of the future) will spend the majority of the season sitting in a doctor's office or the hospital than a guy who can actually play and who might get better and be able to contribute.
That's fine and it's your opinion but Greg Oden was the #1 overall pick for a reason and has had huge games in the NBA before he broke down. Again low risk high reward. Where is the big upside on a D Leaguer? I'd much rather have Greg Oden versus Larry Owens or Desmon Farmer? Who are those guys? D Leaguers signed by the Spurs. Who did what? Nothing with them and nothing with other teams! Greg Oden injured yes but at least he has some skins on the wall and is only 25. Oden>D League player
Old 07-30-13, 09:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
But the thing is that if Oden breaks down, those D-leaguers will still be there to sign. If Oden works out, his upside is worth keeping him away from Miami if nothing else.
Old 07-31-13, 12:04 AM

To all who want Oden...you're hoping and praying for a miracle and remember IF is the biggest two letter word in the English language.

And as for him having been the number 1 pick so what?
So was Joe Smith in 95
Nervis Pervis Ellison in 89
Kwame Brown in 2001
Michael Olowokandi, 1998
All of whom were pretty much flops and while he was only the number 2 pick, let us never forget the illustrious Sam Bowie selected ahead of Michael Jordan

Where they're picked means nothing anymore..he's still been a dud and not worth the money spent. And even though I'm a big believer in modern medicine, I still say, too much damage has been done to his body.
Old 07-31-13, 09:40 AM

My absolutely last word on this :applause
From Hoopshype
"Center Greg Oden probably wont decide among the Heat and five other teams until this weekend, agent Mike Conley Sr. said Tuesday, adding that formal offers havent been made yet. He said the Heat has seen all it needs to see from a medical standpoint and that Oden wont necessarily take the highest offer. But asked if a Heat offer at the $1 million minimum would be good enough, Conley said he was not sure. Miami Herald"

By now if he was truly healthy or even mostly healthy one of the 5 teams would have made an offer. He's not healthy and they're all holding back because they know it. He's just not worth the risk.
Old 07-31-13, 09:52 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
To all who want Oden...you're hoping and praying for a miracle and remember IF is the biggest two letter word in the English language.

And as for him having been the number 1 pick so what?
So was Joe Smith in 95
Nervis Pervis Ellison in 89
Kwame Brown in 2001
Michael Olowokandi, 1998
All of whom were pretty much flops and while he was only the number 2 pick, let us never forget the illustrious Sam Bowie selected ahead of Michael Jordan

Where they're picked means nothing anymore..he's still been a dud and not worth the money spent. And even though I'm a big believer in modern medicine, I still say, too much damage has been done to his body.
Point taken. The main reason those guys flopped was because their game sucked not because they were injured. Greg Oden is a flop right now because of injury not because he sucks hard. Joe Smith had 3 very productive years to start his career and than he fell off big time. Look at the numbers. But there were better players taken after him. Never Nervous sucked but who drafted behind him? Danny Ferry! Kandi Man had upside but wasn't worthy for that pick. Lots of others were more worthy and everyone knew that except the Cippers. Kwame? Same thing but Gasol and Parker were the best picks in that draft and that draft was much weaker versus 98'. The Bowie was damaged goods and he admitted later to hiding his injuries and defects prior to being drafted. Portland mainly drafted him out of need because they already had Clyde Drexler. Which is not the right draft method. You draft the best player and use free agency and trade to fill your needs. On the damage part.....yes Oden has issues there. The thing is like you said modern medicine and my point is every single person recovers differently. The D League player will always be there for the taking but seems like the Spurs get them and.......... really they don't develop. You see them fail with other teams as well or they just play summer league every single year on NBTV. Not a way to build a championship team. Risks need to be taken. This is a very low risk with Oden. So is a D League signing but what will be the likely reward? That has already been proven in SA.

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 07-31-13 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-31-13, 04:47 PM
SR Team Goof

Greg Odens decision on where to play likely coming this weekend

Brett Pollakoff, Jul 31, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT

Greg Oden impressed the five teams that attended his private workout in Indianapolis last week, and more than one is said to be interested in taking a shot on the former number one overall draft pick whose career has been derailed to this point by a series of debilitating injuries.

Miami, New Orleans, Sacramento, San Antonio, and Atlanta all got a look at Oden, and while representatives from Dallas didnt attend the workout, there is said to be a level of interest there, as well.

Wherever Oden chooses to sign, the decision isnt likely to come until this weekend, at the earliest.

From Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald (via HoopsHype):

Center Greg Oden probably wont decide among the Heat and five other teams until this weekend, agent Mike Conley Sr. said Tuesday, adding that formal offers havent been made yet. He said the Heat has seen all it needs to see from a medical standpoint and that Oden wont necessarily take the highest offer. But asked if a Heat offer at the $1 million minimum would be good enough, Conley said he was not sure.

Its interesting that Oden has yet to receive any offers, but its all part of the negotiating process. Much like restricted free agency, no team wants to be the one to set the market for a given player, only to see that player get a better deal to play elsewhere.

A one-year deal for the minimum isnt likely going to be enough to get a deal done with Oden, unless only one team steps up with a bona fide contract. And while he may be looking for a low-key environment to make his comeback, hes still more likely than not to end up in the situation that offers him the most guaranteed dollars.
Old 07-31-13, 04:49 PM
SR Team Goof

Come on Spurs, make a bid and get the ball rolling. Otherwise, drop this guy like a hot rock and move on. There's too much drama with this guy. And I thought Dwight Howard was going to take all summer and hold up free agency to decide.