News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-10-13, 01:54 AM
SpursReport Rookie

AK47: The Deal That Couldn't Get Done

The San Antonio Spurs' exploration of acquiring free-agent forward Andrei Kirilenko in a sign-and-trade agreement with the Minnesota Timberwolves has passed without completion, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.Y! SPORTS
Old 07-10-13, 02:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Damn why? We could send Bonner, Mills and a 1st round. Wasn't it enoguh for Wolves?
Old 07-10-13, 02:13 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
Damn why? We could send Bonner, Mills and a 1st round. Wasn't it enoguh for Wolves?
Probably not. Bonner and Mills wouldn't be perceived as valuable, and a Spurs 1st round pick is almost guaranteed to in the last 4-6 picks of the draft, and statistically those players have very little chance of success in the NBA (Source: Assessing the Relative Value of Draft Position in the NBA Draft). Trading AK-47 for those three would basically be giving him away.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-10-13, 02:20 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner View Post
Probably not. Bonner and Mills wouldn't be perceived as valuable, and a Spurs 1st round pick is almost guaranteed to in the last 4-6 picks of the draft, and statistically those players have very little chance of success in the NBA (Source: Assessing the Relative Value of Draft Position in the NBA Draft). Trading AK-47 for those three would basically be giving him away.
Agreed. I see some kinda move coming in the next few days. No way the Spurs go into the season with eleventiy billion 2 guards and no back up SF.
Old 07-10-13, 02:23 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Oh well, move on.... It was not meant to be in the cards.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-10-13, 02:25 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
But they're gonna lose him without getting anything. Due to reports, 2014 draft will be deep as hell and similar to 2003 draft. Remember, we sold our 2012 draft first pick to GSW to 10M.(In exchange of SJax-Jefferson trade)

I don't believe that Wolves will get a better offer from another team.
Old 07-10-13, 02:28 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursin6 View Post
Agreed. I see some kinda move coming in the next few days. No way the Spurs go into the season with eleventiy billion 2 guards and no back up SF.
I'm not so sure. The Spurs' guard rotation isn't actually that deep -- Parker, Ginobili, Green, Belinelli, Neal. The trio of Mills, Joseph, and De Colo is, in my opinion, too poor to consider regular rotation players, and Neal's secretly awful. In terms of actually competent players, we're only four-deep at the guard spots.

That, combined with the league's tendency toward small ball, suggests to me that another SF isn't our biggest need. A true backup PG, I think, is more pressing, unless Joseph take a major step forward this year.
Old 07-10-13, 02:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I'm not so sure. The Spurs' guard rotation isn't actually that deep -- Parker, Ginobili, Green, Belinelli, Neal. The trio of Mills, Joseph, and De Colo is, in my opinion, too poor to consider regular rotation players, and Neal's secretly awful. In terms of actually competent players, we're only four-deep at the guard spots.

That, combined with the league's tendency toward small ball, suggests to me that another SF isn't our biggest need. A true backup PG, I think, is more pressing, unless Joseph take a major step forward this year.
I believe that Cory is improving very fast and deserves some minutes. And Nando is also have some potential who was a very good player in Europe. We can get rid of Mills, he's a cute guy but his role shouldn't be more than towel holder.

If we're not going to use Green in SF spot when Kawhi is resting, we're crowded on guard spot.
Old 07-10-13, 04:28 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Hopefully deal is not dead. That's my only hope

- Confucius
Old 07-10-13, 04:46 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I would like to know the pieces involved. Deal is believed to between $8-9M per year. Hopefully talks resume. I am convinced the FO does pull off a sign and trade. Does anyone know our salary cap right now? Do we have MLE left?

- Confucius
Old 07-10-13, 10:05 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I will never doubt WOJO...he is the best that breaks stories...

But he really does not give you great insight as to what deadline?

Could there be a rekindle of talks soon?

I want AK47 bad like some of you guys want him as well....

Hopefully they will extend the deadline and get something done..
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 07-10-13, 11:17 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Bonner's trade value has gone down since his team buyout time has passed.
Old 07-10-13, 11:29 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
I would like to know the pieces involved. Deal is believed to between $8-9M per year. Hopefully talks resume. I am convinced the FO does pull off a sign and trade. Does anyone know our salary cap right now? Do we have MLE left?
Nope. Split it all between Belinelli and Pendergraph.
Old 07-10-13, 12:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Nope. Split it all between Belinelli and Pendergraph.
I read a report off another spurs forum that there can be up $2M left. Nevertheless, a sign and trade would be required to acquire AK. I just hope it gets done and we also sign Oden with a guaranteed 2 year contract somehow.

- Confucius
Old 07-10-13, 02:13 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
I read a report off another spurs forum that there can be up $2M left. Nevertheless, a sign and trade would be required to acquire AK. I just hope it gets done and we also sign Oden with a guaranteed 2 year contract somehow.
Talks are off for now so I would stop hoping it gets done or thinking about it, guess we will have to move on and look elsewhere. I wanted them to be able to sign him outright, but that did not happen.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 07-10-13, 04:00 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The good news is that we signed Splitter to that amazing deal. A player that sat on the bench cowering during the NBA Finals. A player who because absolutely worthless when the pick and roll was taken away. A player who once he got his shot blocked . . . went to the end of the bench and cried.
Old 07-10-13, 04:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
The good news is that we signed Splitter to that amazing deal. A player that sat on the bench cowering during the NBA Finals. A player who because absolutely worthless when the pick and roll was taken away. A player who once he got his shot blocked . . . went to the end of the bench and cried.
Remember when Parker was benched in favor of Speedy Claxton in his first NBA Finals? It's so good that we used that to judge Parker's value going forward, and his disastrous career didn't negatively impact us. Yes, Splitter's older, but the point is that you don't use 7 games from a poor match-up to evaluate a player's value.

What you use is a huge sample of games and advanced measurements of effectiveness. Splitter was a top-50 player last year in PER, true shooting percentage, effective FG%, offensive rating, and defensive rating, and top-30 in offensive, defensive, and net win shares, and #10 in the league in win shares per 48 minutes. We got a good deal.
Old 07-10-13, 07:11 PM
SR Team Goof

Found these little tidbits:

The San Antonio Spurs' exploration of acquiring free-agent forward Andrei Kirilenko in a sign-and-trade agreement with the Minnesota Timberwolves has passed without completion, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Yahoo! Sports (already reported above)

The Spurs seriously considered a multiyear offer for Kirilenko, but Minnesota general manager Flip Saunders has shown little, if any, inclination to assist him in securing a significant financial contract elsewhere, sources said. Yahoo! Sports

Link: HoopsHype - San Antonio Spurs Rumors
Old 07-10-13, 08:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Well the situation may change or a third team might have to be involved

- Confucius
Old 07-11-13, 02:55 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
After seeing the other moves in free-agency, I'm very happy with Splitter deal. It's not a bargain of course, but it's not overpaid too.

Quote:
Remember when Parker was benched in favor of Speedy Claxton in his first NBA Finals? It's so good that we used that to judge Parker's value going forward, and his disastrous career didn't negatively impact us. Yes, Splitter's older, but the point is that you don't use 7 games from a poor match-up to evaluate a player's value.
Very right, and as addtion:

Parker was bad against New Jersey in his first finals and he were worse against Detroit in his second. He became finals MVP in his 3rd attempt.

Last edited by tuncaboylu; 07-12-13 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 04:09 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

What you use is a huge sample of games and advanced measurements of effectiveness. Splitter was a top-50 player last year in PER, true shooting percentage, effective FG%, offensive rating, and defensive rating, and top-30 in offensive, defensive, and net win shares, and #10 in the league in win shares per 48 minutes. We got a good deal.
Well said.

+1
Old 07-11-13, 09:28 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Possible future signing if successfully bought out is Caron Butler who Spurs were interested in past. Not an exciting signing but decent backup who can shoot 3.
Old 07-11-13, 09:47 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Butler would not be bad....
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 07-11-13, 11:35 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:

Nicely done.
Old 07-11-13, 07:51 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Really want a tall athletic above the rim center with shot blocking ability. Not AK47