SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Gary Neal: Back with the Spurs? (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120163-gary-neal-back-spurs.html)

Spursin6 07-09-13 12:12 PM

Gary Neal: Back with the Spurs?

Restricted FA Gary Neal is "likely" to re-sign with the Spurs, according to ESPN's Jared Zwerling.

ALSPURS 07-09-13 12:21 PM

Does not make sense what so ever...

Should have not signed Marco and spend his money elsewhere then...

This smells of a trade if you ask me....way to many guards to carry and not enough Big Men and no true backup SF ....insane and I don't like it ..

Spurd_On 07-09-13 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALSPURS (Post 1302929)
Does not make sense what so ever...

Should have not signed Marco and spend his money elsewhere then...

This smells of a trade if you ask me....way to many guards to carry and not enough Big Men and no true backup SF ....insane and I don't like it ..

+1. Hopefully a sign and trade of some sort in the works.

MichaelWi101 07-09-13 12:57 PM

Is this even possible? Thought he was out of the price range now.

alh1020 07-09-13 01:05 PM

It makes no sense to me either with these many 1/2 position players (Belinelli, DeColo, Ginobili, Green, Joseph, Mills, Parker and now, supposedly, Neal). A sign and trade has to be in the works as the Spurs, in the past, have always seemed to keep that one roster slot open as a last resort. If they have all 15 active roster spots filled with signed players, there seems to be no initiative for summer league/training camp extras to fight for the team, only hope that another team happens to be scouting them.

grizzly_bexar 07-09-13 01:07 PM

Next we'll hear Dejuan Blair is inking a long term deal to stay a spur.

spurscrazed 07-09-13 01:15 PM

I remember Gary was motivated by playing minutes so maybe Spurs promised him to stay for the same amount and play more minutes? Albeit Pop will find it hard to duplicate last year's 25 minutes per game in a back court that already has Tony Parker, Cory Joseph and Patty Mills at PG, and Danny Green, Manu Ginobili and Belinelli at SG????

Fox news KABB announcer at Maximum Sports said last night that Gary Neal's agent had not returned their station's call. And then the announcer said that Spurs might still be able to sign Neal Back as Gary has just not gotten hardly any offers as suggested.

Today I read online that 5 teams are interested in Neal. But we have not heard about how much was any offer. :shocked

I guess Spurs FO might just have thought if they get Neal Signed then they have some more good values to trade.............Very possible.....

spurduncan21 07-09-13 01:45 PM

If he's signed it's to be put in a trade. Don't be surprised if its for monte Ellis or ak-47. At least I hope it's involves one of the two. If prefer ak in all honesty

tabspur 07-09-13 02:33 PM

I'm not for sure, but I don't think we could sign and trade him for AK or Ellis, even if we throw other players in like Bonner. I don't think we can sign and trade, for another sign and trade player. Which AK and Ellis both would be. Maybe someone can confirm or refute that. Now, Neal, Bonner and something/someone else to the Blazers for Aldridge would be amazing. Don't think we would announce any sign and trade for any big before Splitter signs his contract.

jackc852 07-09-13 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurduncan21 (Post 1302937)
If he's signed it's to be put in a trade. Don't be surprised if its for monte Ellis or ak-47. At least I hope it's involves one of the two. If prefer ak in all honesty

Personally I'd rather have Ellis. He's capable of handling the ball, and distributing which was a glaring weakness in the finals when TP was sitting.

TP was our best option with the ball by far, even when slowed down by the hamstring. Manu just wasn't making good decisions when he had the ball w/o TP and Timmy beside him. In past championship seasons we had capable backups to TP, something we were sorely missing against Miami.

ALSPURS 07-09-13 03:24 PM

If it is for Ellis then it would have to be a combo with another PG OR SG on the roster cause then we have the same problem...

In a perfect would we would get a mobile 3 that can rebound and defend in return....cough AK47....cough....

Just a thought...

If we are signing NEAL/MANU/MARCO/PATTY ALL THIS OFFSEASON...

It could be DGreen or Nando in the deal....

grizzly_bexar 07-09-13 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabspur (Post 1302939)
I'm not for sure, but I don't think we could sign and trade him for AK or Ellis, even if we throw other players in like Bonner. I don't think we can sign and trade, for another sign and trade player. Which AK and Ellis both would be. Maybe someone can confirm or refute that. Now, Neal, Bonner and something/someone else to the Blazers for Aldridge would be amazing. Don't think we would announce any sign and trade for any big before Splitter signs his contract.

My understanding is that we can sign and trade him, but we can't trade based on a matched offer sheet. In other words if we are going to work a deal with the bucks, it would have to be before they and Neal put pen to paper on an offer sheet.

grizzly_bexar 07-09-13 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALSPURS (Post 1302944)
If it is for Ellis then it would have to be a combo with another PG OR SG on the roster cause then we have the same problem...

In a perfect would we would get a mobile 3 that can rebound and defend in return....cough AK47....cough....

Just a thought...

If we are signing NEAL/MANU/MARCO/PATTY ALL THIS OFFSEASON...

It could be DGreen or Nando in the deal....

Ninja we can part with. Dany Green is pretty close to untouchable. For sure I don't want to let Green go in exchange for a player as brittle as AK-47.

ALSPURS 07-09-13 03:45 PM

There saying that Monta top 4 teams to choose will be Dallas/Sac/Bobcats/ATL....

So i guess the S/T for him with MIL will be out then....

Rzarector7 07-09-13 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackc852 (Post 1302942)
Personally I'd rather have Ellis. He's capable of handling the ball, and distributing which was a glaring weakness in the finals when TP was sitting.

TP was our best option with the ball by far, even when slowed down by the hamstring. Manu just wasn't making good decisions when he had the ball w/o TP and Timmy beside him. In past championship seasons we had capable backups to TP, something we were sorely missing against Miami.

Yep, and they still did not address that part nor the SF backup part when they let Jax go. Just more guards and another backup PF.

Rzarector7 07-09-13 04:42 PM

Makes no ense if they just keep him, then again the Spurs have not made much sense in years with some moves so it would not surprise me if we managed to keep the log jam at guards this season.

I HOPE there is a decent trade in the works, that would only make sense.

katyspursfan 07-09-13 04:47 PM

The Spurs gave Neal a qualifying offer.
It could be he's just taking it.

joyner 07-09-13 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katyspursfan (Post 1302965)
The Spurs gave Neal a qualifying offer.
It could be he's just taking it.

That's the only scenario I can imagine -- he hit the market and found out he wasn't getting the offers he was anticipating. When I heard there was no chance of him coming back, I figured he was getting offers in the $4 million range -- anything less and I figured we'd match.

His qualifying offer was only $1.1 million, and that's about what he's worth, in my opinion -- low PER (11.5), very low TS%, offensive rating, defensive rating, and eFG%, and a usage rate outside his ability (21.7%, behind only the big 3). Terribly win shares per 48 at .060. He's just not that good.

Rzarector7 07-09-13 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyner (Post 1302966)
That's the only scenario I can imagine -- he hit the market and found out he wasn't getting the offers he was anticipating. When I heard there was no chance of him coming back, I figured he was getting offers in the $4 million range -- anything less and I figured we'd match.

His qualifying offer was only $1.1 million, and that's about what he's worth, in my opinion -- low PER (11.5), very low TS%, offensive rating, defensive rating, and eFG%, and a usage rate outside his ability (21.7%, behind only the big 3). Terribly win shares per 48 at .060. He's just not that good.

:smirkfacepalm:banghead

tabspur 07-09-13 06:17 PM

Grizzly Bear, I get what you are saying about a sign and trade. But, what I was thinking, is we can't sign and trade a player (say Neal), for a guy that another team (say the Bucks and Ellis) also have to sign, then trade back.

montgod 07-09-13 06:24 PM

There is always Ersan İlyasova say for Mills (or Neal), Diaw, and Bonner who all have expiring deals.

grizzly_bexar 07-09-13 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabspur (Post 1302978)
Grizzly Bear, I get what you are saying about a sign and trade. But, what I was thinking, is we can't sign and trade a player (say Neal), for a guy that another team (say the Bucks and Ellis) also have to sign, then trade back.

I actually think we can do that, but Ellis would have to go along with it. And the bucks.

montgod 07-09-13 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar (Post 1302980)
I actually think we can do that, but Ellis would have to go along with it. And the bucks.

I agree. I think this can be done if the players agree to deal (money and team) similar to the rumors of Teague getting traded for Jennings.

katyspursfan 07-09-13 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar (Post 1302980)

I think that's right. And only if Ellis doesn't sign an offer sheet with anyone else.

tabspur 07-09-13 06:28 PM

Hmmm. Guess I misunderstood the CBA. Anyway, interesting logjam of guards we now have. Did Pop take off to the wine country and leave our signings to Don Nelson?

katyspursfan 07-09-13 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabspur (Post 1302984)
Hmmm. Guess I misunderstood the CBA. Anyway, interesting logjam of guards we now have. Did Pop take off to the wine country and leave our signings to Don Nelson?

I think Pop looked at what may happen, and figured that any real signings would fill out the suit wearing guys on the bench.

First 11 contracts done, seeya!

truebeliever 07-09-13 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spursin6 (Post 1302928)
Restricted FA Gary Neal is "likely" to re-sign with the Spurs, according to ESPN's Jared Zwerling.

If this is True... This is exciting.. We can play a legit small ball- ala the Bad Boys Detroit Pistons and the GSW..

I would have like to see another SF back up and was going to suggest Corey Brewer.. But to get Neal Back is also Solid.. Good JOB PATFO

cholzer 07-09-13 11:23 PM

By the minutes Gary got, Pop must like him. I am happy if he comes back great story, and seems like a great guy. From what I heard from Bulls fans Marco is mediocre at everything, so I suppose more consistent, but won't really make a difference.

joyner 07-09-13 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cholzer (Post 1303009)
By the minutes Gary got, Pop must like him. I am happy if he comes back great story, and seems like a great guy. From what I heard from Bulls fans Marco is mediocre at everything, so I suppose more consistent, but won't really make a difference.

Belinelli was asked to do too much for the Bulls. He's a solid 6th man or a good, complimentary wing, but with the Bulls he was asked to be a primary option. To put that in concrete terms, he's a Danny Green who was asked to be a Manu Ginobili (circa five years ago).