SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   IS BELINELLI THE NEW GINOBILI? (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120153-belinelli-new-ginobili.html)

Flipmode Master 07-08-13 10:18 AM

IS BELINELLI THE NEW GINOBILI?

The San Antonio Spurs are being very aggressive early in the free agency period, already making several moves. One of the best moves they have made is adding Italian guard Marco Belinelli. The guard did well in the Chicago Bulls’ system and gave them a solid boost off their bench. Now he will be suiting up for the Spurs and likely coming off the bench as well, could he be a possible candidate for the Sixth Man of the Year award?

http://www.mvptexas.com/nba/2628-is-...-ginobili.html

MichaelWi101 07-08-13 10:33 AM

From the article
"He is also capable of possibly taking minutes away from Spurs’ starter Danny Green, who has proven to be a very one-dimensional player. Belinelli has better ball-handling capabilities and can drive to the basket better than Green."

This may be what Green needs to emphasize to him that he must continue to work to keep improving, if he comes back next year without having added a single new skill set to his game there's a good chance he'll find himself out of a job again.

ALSPURS 07-08-13 11:07 AM

Danny may be great when he gets hot from 3 and I do love his defense ....

But when he is cold....he is cold as we seen at the end of the finals...

And Wade on a bad knee was very effective vs him at times...

I will go out on a long shot and say that Marco will be the one closing out games by the end of the year in big spots...

Uwe Blab 07-08-13 11:53 AM

Let's hope they mean he's the "New Old Ginobili". Because we don't want him to be the "New Older Ginobili".

Spurd_On 07-08-13 12:47 PM

Since we haven't seen him in action with the Spurs, no one can say for sure what happens but I see him, at this time, as only an adequate replacement for Ginobili for the remainder of Manu's career. My reasoning is that they both have 2 year contracts and in 2 years, Hanga will probably be NBA ready and within reach of a buyout. If Marco proves to be more than that then it is icing on the cake. I don't even bring Danny Green into the equation. They are individual talents with unique skills to be used in appropriate situations.

Spurd_On 07-08-13 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1302847)
From the article
"He is also capable of possibly taking minutes away from Spurs’ starter Danny Green, who has proven to be a very one-dimensional player. Belinelli has better ball-handling capabilities and can drive to the basket better than Green."

This may be what Green needs to emphasize to him that he must continue to work to keep improving, if he comes back next year without having added a single new skill set to his game there's a good chance he'll find himself out of a job again.

The biggest improvement that I would like to see comes when he drives to the hoop. He seldom switches hands, fakes or protects the ball making him a defender's dream cover in the paint.

tabspur 07-08-13 06:40 PM

Is this a trick question?

kmgospurs 07-08-13 11:04 PM

I thought Nando was the next Manu Ginobili. What happened to him? ;)

joyner 07-08-13 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1302847)
From the article

To me this is a sign that Belinelli should come off the bench. Our age means we rely on our bench more than many teams, and with Ginobili's decline we've lacked a punch off the bench. I'd take a starting lineup of Parker, Manu, Kawhi, Tim, and Splitter, and a second unit of De Colo, Belinelli, Green, Diaw, and whatever fifth body we throw out there.

I think Manu's got to move to the starting lineup. He's got enough juice to be a solid #2 or an extremely solid #3 option on the court, but not the juice to be the #1. I think Belinelli's just barely good enough to be a serviceable #1 option off the bench.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmgospurs (Post 1302895)
I thought Nando was the next Manu Ginobili. What happened to him? ;)

I think he's the "New New Manu", meaning the new person we praise as the 'new Manu' who doesn't pan out. Also known as the Meta-New Manu :smirk

exit7 07-09-13 03:18 AM

Calling Marco the new ginobili is insulting to Manu. I was willing, and still am, to accept that Nando has potential but that's because he is am unknown commodity. Nobody knew about him. But we know what Marco brings, he's gonna be a good player off the bench.

katyspursfan 07-09-13 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit7 (Post 1302918)
Calling Marco the new ginobili is insulting to Manu. I was willing, and still am, to accept that Nando has potential but that's because he is am unknown commodity. Nobody knew about him. But we know what Marco brings, he's gonna be a good player off the bench.

Why would a 'good player off the bench' be insulting to Manu?
There were many, many games last year when I would have loved for Manu to fulfill that role.

exit7 07-09-13 06:02 PM

Because when Manu was in his prime, he wasn't just a "good player off he bench". In 2005 he was unstoppable, and a force for the spurs. I shouldn't have to explain this to a spurs fan, Marco belinelli is not and never will be a Manu ginobili. Now maybe I misunderstood the post, maybe we are asking if Marco can be manu from last year. If that's the case then I think he could.

But the title of the thread was "is belinelli the new ginobili". If that's the question, the answer is a resounding no!

exit7 07-09-13 06:07 PM

It's like asking if Tiago splitter is the next David Robinson? Does he fill his role now? Yes. But is he David Robinson? No, no question. But his numbers are similar to what David put up his last years in the league.

katyspursfan 07-09-13 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit7 (Post 1302975)
Because when Manu was in his prime, he wasn't just a "good player off he bench". In 2005 he was unstoppable, and a force for the spurs. I shouldn't have to explain this to a spurs fan, Marco belinelli is not and never will be a Manu ginobili. Now maybe I misunderstood the post, maybe we are asking if Marco can be manu from last year. If that's the case then I think he could.

But the title of the thread was "is belinelli the new ginobili". If that's the question, the answer is a resounding no!

Okay.
What if Marco becomes a candidate for 6th Man of the Year?
Is that good enough?

I get that Marco will likely never be better than the best of Manu. But 2005 was a LONG time ago. And if Marco can fulfill the role Manu had when he was moved to the bench, then I'm good.

exit7 07-09-13 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katyspursfan (Post 1302981)
Okay.
What if Marco becomes a candidate for 6th Man of the Year?
Is that good enough?

I get that Marco will likely never be better than the best of Manu. But 2005 was a LONG time ago. And if Marco can fulfill the role Manu had when he was moved to the bench, then I'm good.

If he becomes a candidate, I'm all for it. But I'm not sure he will even be our sixth man. I still think Manu maintains that roll next year, for better or worse.

I don't think it is a knock on Belinelli to say he isn't Manu Ginobili. I'd like to be wrong, believe me, nothing would give me more satisfaction than to see the Marco Belinelli signing to be the free agent acquisition for the spurs in the last 10 years. I just don't see it. With all that said, he is a good, solid player.

joyner 07-09-13 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit7 (Post 1302990)
If he becomes a candidate, I'm all for it. But I'm not sure he will even be our sixth man. I still think Manu maintains that roll next year, for better or worse.

I don't think it is a knock on Belinelli to say he isn't Manu Ginobili. I'd like to be wrong, believe me, nothing would give me more satisfaction than to see the Marco Belinelli signing to be the free agent acquisition for the spurs in the last 10 years. I just don't see it. With all that said, he is a good, solid player.

We have to remember that regardless of Manu's playoff failures, mostly the 8 turnovers in Game 6, he was still reasonably effective in the regular season -- 19.0 PER (top 45 in the league), .155 win shares (top 50). Having three players in the top 45 in PER is a necessity for a finals contender. Five players in the top 50 for win shares is mind-blowing (Leonard and Spliter join the Big 3 there, with Splitter an amazing 10th in the league).

That said, I see Manu shifting to the starting lineup next year. We rarely play the bench in its entirety -- the bench lineup top to bottom isn't scary, but each player is serviceable for plugging in with 2/5ths or 3/5ths of the starting lineup.