SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-13, 12:40 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Spurs sign Jeff Pendegraph?

Really? According to Wojo...
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-06-13, 12:44 PM

Wow....All the rumors of names leaking and we sign a guy I dont think anyone has on there radar...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-06-13, 12:46 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Like always the Spurs have now signed two guys who never showed up on anyone's 'the spurs are interested in' stories.
Old 07-06-13, 12:49 PM
SR Team Goof

Jeff Pendergraph
• #29 PF
• 6' 9", 250 lbs
• Indiana Pacers
• BornApr 29, 1987 in Ontario, CA (Age: 26)
• Drafted2009: 2nd Rnd, 1st by SAC
• CollegeArizona State
• Experience2 years
Old 07-06-13, 01:05 PM
SR Team Goof

I remember Pendergraph because we were looking for another big and he was way down on my list. He was chosen in the 2009 NBA Draft at #31 by Sacramento and the Spurs chose DeJuan Blair at #35. I’m wondering if Pendergraph may have been on the Spurs list at that time, was chosen and Blair fell into our laps at #35. Well, we got him now.
Old 07-06-13, 01:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I imagine we got him for the league min and he won't count against the mid level. Athletic guy that can guard 3 positions, but still very raw, oh well, at least he can dunk it!
Old 07-06-13, 01:25 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Ya gotta love the CIA Spur tactics....!
Old 07-06-13, 01:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

This is just disappointing. Of all the players available out there, and they go grab some nobody who's way down the list. I would have preferred AK-47 or even Oden over this guy.
Old 07-06-13, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytlingit View Post
I imagine we got him for the league min and he won't count against the mid level. Athletic guy that can guard 3 positions, but still very raw, oh well, at least he can dunk it!
But there are not that many roster spots left...

If Neal and Blair are on the way out...we add Marco and this guy we are pretty much set unless we do a sign and trade or amnesty Bonner(very unlikely)

Weird to say the least.... Should at least wait until we have a chance to sign a Oden or Casspri later on in the summer no?

Feels like all these moves have been rushed (can't sign anyone until the 10th) like Pop and RC gotta rush away on vacation or something lol
Old 07-06-13, 01:35 PM

But don't you find it totally ironic that two guys that where totally not linked to the spurs in any way are the guys we sign....crazy
Old 07-06-13, 01:42 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Teddy's son?? oh wait.. Pendergraph not Penndergrass... my bad.

Old 07-06-13, 01:48 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Seems a weird choice to me too when they already have Baynes and Bonner. Are they loading up for a trade with the Washington Generals?
Old 07-06-13, 01:50 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I like this signing. And to me it does not bode well that Oden is not working out for teams.
Old 07-06-13, 01:58 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
I like this signing. And to me it does not bode well that Oden is not working out for teams.
Why do you like the signing?

"does not bode well that Oden is not working out for teams"

Does not bode well for what?
Old 07-06-13, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS View Post
But there are not that many roster spots left...

If Neal and Blair are on the way out...we add Marco and this guy we are pretty much set unless we do a sign and trade or amnesty Bonner(very unlikely)

Weird to say the least.... Should at least wait until we have a chance to sign a Oden or Casspri later on in the summer no?

Feels like all these moves have been rushed (can't sign anyone until the 10th) like Pop and RC gotta rush away on vacation or something lol
I agree, hopefully we are gonaa trade some of our players? We need to unload some guards. It's the market though, nobody wants to come to the spurs, we have built our team thru the draft plain and simple.
Old 07-06-13, 02:35 PM

This kid is an upgrade over Blair (taller, more athletic) good upside to him. He hasn't been in any organization that has shown a past history of developing player. And I've never been a fan of bringing in AK47, too old, brittle, too slow and we have the will's favorite red-headed player stretching the floor for those three point shots.
Old 07-06-13, 02:51 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
This kid is an upgrade over Blair (taller, more athletic) good upside to him. He hasn't been in any organization that has shown a past history of developing player. And I've never been a fan of bringing in AK47, too old, brittle, too slow and we have the will's favorite red-headed player stretching the floor for those three point shots.
Sounds like good reasoning. The Spurs must see some kind of potential in him. They are not in the habit of simply adding big bodies for the sake of having big bodies as was demonstrated during last year's training camp.
Old 07-06-13, 02:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Smell one more addition via trade? Need a true back up point, not point guard by committee. Give me Collison and Ariza, lose Mills, Nando and Bonner.
Old 07-06-13, 03:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs/gators33 View Post
This is just disappointing. Of all the players available out there, and they go grab some nobody who's way down the list. I would have preferred AK-47 or even Oden over this guy.
Down on who's list? Yours? Your list isn't that impressive if you are hoping they sign Oden. The guy hasn't played forever and can never stay healthy. Why waste the money? And AK 47 is old and fragile. We have enough of that with Gino. I like the move. JP just needs a chance to play. I watched him plenty at ASU. He has good size and gives us an actual athletic Power Forward that can shoot the 3. Would rather see him play than Bonner.
Old 07-06-13, 03:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezsr View Post
Down on who's list? Yours? Your list isn't that impressive if you are hoping they sign Oden. The guy hasn't played forever and can never stay healthy. Why waste the money? And AK 47 is old and fragile. We have enough of that with Gino. I like the move. JP just needs a chance to play. I watched him plenty at ASU. He has good size and gives us an actual athletic Power Forward that can shoot the 3. Would rather see him play than Bonner.
I didn't know he could shoot the 3. I agree. A lot of people just look at how they played on the previous team with no PT, but Pop and RC aren't pros at scouting people for nothing. Consider we have the greatest PF ever to learn from, the best shooting coach,organization and teachers, blossoming nobodies seem to be the Spurs forte. We are all victims of wanting to get rid of one player or another, but unfortunately we're not pros. Just die hard fans that think we know what's best for our team. But it's just fun to pretend we are and post our thoughts, anger and joy. That's why we as Spurs fans are "THE BEST! "
Old 07-06-13, 03:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

By no means do I know how to see if these players have talent but just watching his highlights on youtube the kid has athleticism with a decent 12-16ft jump shot.. Oh like someone else said, He can dunk!
Old 07-06-13, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Why do you like the signing?

"does not bode well that Oden is not working out for teams"

Does not bode well for what?
Does not bode well for his ability to get back and stay on the court.

Guess who else isn't working out for teams? Andrew Bynum.
Old 07-06-13, 04:20 PM
SR Team Goof

Unless Pop and RC are in the back room cooking up a trade, I'd say the Spurs will leave that last roster spot open to review the players from the summer league for a 'just in case' situation, somebody being released from another team, player buyouts, etc.
Old 07-06-13, 04:28 PM
Herman Cain of the board

won't make the team
Old 07-06-13, 04:56 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
won't make the team
Any reason why you think that?
Old 07-06-13, 05:04 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Smell one more addition via trade? Need a true back up point, not point guard by committee. Give me Collison and Ariza, lose Mills, Nando and Bonner.
Collision seems more realistic than Ariza because Ariza would want to start over Leonard which isn't happening. I think these 2 year contracts that's being signed is preparation for the retirement of Tim. When that happens they'll be a lot of money for the future. Also, I think Pop saw something in Pendergraph during Indy's run against Miami to go after him along with maybe the Spurs wanted him before Blair during that years draft. I think it's a good low risk potential high reward signing.
Old 07-06-13, 05:06 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Unless Pop and RC are in the back room cooking up a trade, I'd say the Spurs will leave that last roster spot open to review the players from the summer league for a 'just in case' situation, somebody being released from another team, player buyouts, etc.
I can see that.
Old 07-06-13, 05:21 PM

Quote:
won't make the team
Are you serious?
Old 07-06-13, 05:49 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I'm just having a hard time getting excited over the Spurs signing the 12th man from the team that ended with the 8th best record in the league last year. That's the best they could do??

I know everybody keeps saying the Spurs were 7 sec away from a title, and yes they were so very close to winning it all, but brngkng the same team back won't cut it next year. Other teams are getting stronger and alot of things lined up for the Spurs to make it to the Finals. TD & Manu are a year older, and Parker is having to carry a heavy load. I know Kawhi will improve, but they needed to bring some more talent to this team, and I personally don't think Belinelli & Pendergraph are that big of an upgrade.
Old 07-06-13, 06:12 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Could very well be a Bonner replacement. Not sure we need 2 of those type of players on our roster. Hang tight, is my guess. Live having expiring contracts, and talented throw ins
Old 07-06-13, 06:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
won't make the team
Old 07-06-13, 06:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The Spurs have reloaded can you say another trip to the finals.
Old 07-06-13, 07:02 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
In July, all we can really hope for is a healthy team come the playoffs.

The rest will take care of itself.
Old 07-06-13, 07:08 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
I still think Parker carries too much of the load at the point when the playoff rotations begin. Something has to be worked out somehow.
Old 07-06-13, 07:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Parker definitely was spent by games 6 and 7. We sprinter have his sub on the roster streaky or we need to steal someone
Old 07-06-13, 08:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Pendergraph?
Old 07-06-13, 08:43 PM

Quote:
won't make the team
Oh Will you diehard pessimist you, of course he'll make the team, it's just a matter of how quickly he adapts to the Spurs system. He'll get to spend a quality amount of time sitting on the bench and learning from Tim.
Old 07-06-13, 08:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabspur View Post
Could very well be a Bonner replacement. Not sure we need 2 of those type of players on our roster. Hang tight, is my guess. Live having expiring contracts, and talented throw ins
Saying that he is a Bonner replacement is an incredible stretch seeing as he's shot 5 threes in his three years in the NBA of which all came last year and he made 2. His college stats per PBR show him never making a college 3 in 4 years at AZ St. His jump shot looks like it goes out to about 20 feet though he is far more reliable inside 16.

This is sort of an after action report lifted in it's entirety from the Pacers official website.
Player Review 2013: Jeff Pendergraph | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE INDIANA PACERS
Quote:
Years Pro: 3
Status: Free agent. Received about $850,000 last season in the second year of a two-year contract.
Key Stats: Averaged 3.9 points on 48 percent shooting while playing in 37 games. Averaged 10.2 points in games in which he played 17 minutes or more.

For the first half of the season, Jeff Pendergraph was the hype man, the guy who led the players-only huddle on the court following pre-game introductions and the guy who stood in the back hallway to bump fists with his teammates as they walked to the locker room at halftime or after the game. He was barely more of a factor for the Pacers during games than the Pacemates.

But, it turned out he could play, too.

Pendergraph was third in line at the power forward position, playing behind David West and Tyler Hansbrough. It took a couple of West injuries – a scratched eyeball in February and then a lower back strain in March – for Pendergraph to get the opportunity coach Frank Vogel thought he deserved.

“When he gets an opportunity to play extended minutes, everybody is going to see how good Jeff Pendergraph really is,” Vogel said early in the season.

Pendergraph finally got that chance on Feb. 11, when West suffered the scratched cornea against Brooklyn, courtesy of Brook Lopez. That bumped Pendergraph up to the No. 2 power forward, a promotion repeated when West had to sit out with his back trouble in March.

Pendergraph wound up playing 10 or more minutes in 13 regular season games, and usually produced. In the 10 games in which he played 17 or more minutes, he averaged 10.2 points on 56 percent shooting, hit all 12 foul shots and 2-of-4 3-pointers. He was a non-factor in the playoffs other than Game 2 against Altanta, when he had eight points and seven rebounds in 15 minutes.

Those performances rebutted one of the season's best unintentional jokes. When Paul George received his trophy after being voted the NBA's Most Improved Player, he thanked his teammates for their help in making it happen – “all the way down to Pendergraph.” Everyone, Pendergraph included, got a laugh out of that one.

Pendergraph likely will be smiling this summer when free agency begins. He played well enough to draw a contract offer from someone, and it could be the Pacers. His status could depend on what happens with Hansbrough, a restricted free agent. If Hansbrough attracts an offer too rich for the Pacers' salary cap blood, they could let him go, re-sign Pendergraph and let him back up West.

It wouldn't be a bad thing, necessarily. Pendergraph, at 6-9, is a perimeter scoring threat, rebounds his position well enough, and can run the floor. His attitude is great, but he doesn't want to spend another season of his career contributing more hype than substance.

“I'm here for a reason,” he said early in the season, before the serious playing opportunities came. “I can play. It's just a matter of time before I can show it.”

He eventually got his chance, and he'll likely get more – with the Pacers, or someone else.
Old 07-06-13, 08:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
Saying that he is a Bonner replacement is an incredible stretch seeing as he's shot 5 threes in his three years in the NBA of which all came last year and he made 2. His college stats per PBR show him never making a college 3 in 4 years at AZ St. His jump shot looks like it goes out to about 20 feet though he is far more reliable inside 16.

This is sort of an after action report lifted in it's entirety from the Pacers official website.
Player Review 2013: Jeff Pendergraph | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE INDIANA PACERS

Well I see some positive stuff in that write-up!
Old 07-06-13, 08:59 PM
Herman Cain of the board

He does have fire in him which I like but he doesn't have the frame to impact the game with his attitude.
Old 07-06-13, 09:06 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Jeff Pendegraph here makes sense. I remembered him in game 7 with that skirmish with Cole and getting ejected... I kina like this kid! Very Athletic and have a Great HEART!

He seems like a solid athletic Big (6 10 with 7 1 wingspan = bigger than Leonard) who has some sort of serious TOUGHNESS that is lacking from our bench. He def is a great improvement over Blair. And he can play several positions so we can see him switch to help several players so he fits several needs here!

Maybe it was our new assistant coach Boyle that had this insider info about this particular player!

We don't know yet why Spurs did not release the contract amount. I sure hope this will be not the end of the off season acquisition because....

THERE IS STILL GLARING HOLE in the Back up PG position and Spurs Front Office must find a SOLID back up for Tony so we don't end up with depending on other positions to fill in TP's. PLEASE RC and FO please look for a Back up for TP!!!
Old 07-06-13, 09:13 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post

Maybe it was our new assistant coach Boyle that had this insider info about this particular player!

Good point. Had forgotten we just got Asst Coach Boyle
Old 07-06-13, 09:42 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
He does have fire in him which I like but he doesn't have the frame to impact the game with his attitude.
What do you mean by frame? If you mean does he have the beef to play the position, here are the top roster weights:

Baynes...260
Duncan...255
Pendergraph...250
Splitter...240
Diaw...235
Bonner...235
Old 07-06-13, 09:46 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
What do you mean by frame? If you mean does he have the beef to play the position, here are the top roster weights:

Baynes...260
Duncan...255
Pendergraph...250
Splitter...240
Diaw...235
Bonner...235
Diaw 235 as a rookie?lol Do you even know the player?
Old 07-06-13, 09:48 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDAMAGE View Post
Good point. Had forgotten we just got Asst Coach Boyle
+1. Good thinking Crazed.
Old 07-06-13, 09:50 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Diaw 235 as a rookie?lol Do you even know the player?
I don't know any of the players. I'm just a fan.
Old 07-06-13, 10:14 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
I don't know any of the players. I'm just a fan.
If you really think Diaw weighs 235 pounds that's awesome. Eye exams are still affordable.
Old 07-06-13, 10:21 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
If you really think Diaw weighs 235 pounds that's awesome. Eye exams are still affordable.
I didn't say I thought anything. Those are the listed roster weights. I didn't actually weigh them myself but thanks for the tip about the eye exams.
Old 07-06-13, 10:23 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
I didn't say I thought anything. Those are the listed roster weights. I didn't actually weigh them myself but thanks for the tip about the eye exams.
I bet you want to weight them
Old 07-06-13, 10:24 PM
The Amazing!

I'm sure he will be a great addition... for the Toros. Yeah I don't expect much from him.