News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-05-13, 12:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

With maybe one roster spot left...

What do we all think is the most pressing position that needs to be addressed?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-05-13, 12:45 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Another Big for Defense- Some aggressive rebounder.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-05-13, 01:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Either another solid rebounding/defending big OR an atheletic/savy SF. We don't have a back up to Kawhi atm.
Old 07-05-13, 01:21 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I hope they make a trade
Old 07-05-13, 01:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Ak47 and Monte Ellis. Come on baby

- Confucius
Old 07-05-13, 01:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I would say SF or bigman. Prefer AK47 since Barnes should progress this summer hopefully and be on the roster. We don't really have anyone backing up Kawhi.
Old 07-05-13, 02:00 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Before any of this free agent period began and even before the playoffs started, I pointed to Tony Allen and Matt Barnes as far as my targets on the perimeter. Big man wise I wanted a shot blocker center. Samuel Dalembert or Greg Oden. I also like Trevor Ariza as a backup small forward for a trade target since he opted in with the Wizards. Wizards have Webster and Otto Porter so it makes sense to move him. Also for the Spurs, Ariza is still in his prime.
Old 07-05-13, 02:48 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Before any of this free agent period began and even before the playoffs started, I pointed to Tony Allen and Matt Barnes as far as my targets on the perimeter. Big man wise I wanted a shot blocker center. Samuel Dalembert or Greg Oden. I also like Trevor Ariza as a backup small forward for a trade target since he opted in with the Wizards. Wizards have Webster and Otto Porter so it makes sense to move him. Also for the Spurs, Ariza is still in his prime.

I like all of those options. I'd also add AK47 to my wish list, however unlikely.
Old 07-05-13, 03:07 PM
SR Team Goof

The question is, do we have enough money left in the bucket where we can wine and dine someone, and is there anybody out there we can afford? As I understand, Camby is asking or telling the Raptors to buy him out which would make him a free agent. Also, are we still in the running for AK47 or are we out of his kind of money? Someone on another thread mentioned Al Farouq Aminu who I found to be intriquing. We need another big, we got the small game corneredl
Old 07-06-13, 12:27 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Well, it'll technically be 2 spots left if Gary Neal gets a better offer that they don't match...AK47 and then Oden would be my two choices to fill the slots.
Old 07-06-13, 01:25 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient Express View Post
Well, it'll technically be 2 spots left if Gary Neal gets a better offer that they don't match...AK47 and then Oden would be my two choices to fill the slots.
I agree with you.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 07-06-13, 01:44 AM
SR Team Goof

Here's the team roster as of today, including Belinelli:

Baynes
Belinelli (officially 10 Jul when contract signed)
Bonner
DeColo
Diaw
Duncan
Ginobili (officially 10 Jul when contract signed)
Green
Joseph
Leonard
Mills
Parker
Splitter (officially 10 Jul when contract signed)
Old 07-06-13, 11:20 AM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

A week or so after the re-signing announcements for our teams and with the agreed signing of belinelli, along with the potential of signing oden, ak, or someoen else. I'm feeling better about the team. I didnt like the amounts that gino and splitter were agreed to be signed for, but I still think it is going to be one of the best spurs teams as long as tim can still produce like he has been and as long as gino understands what his adapted role will be. I like our chances again and will be happy with whoever else we can get to fill in the small holes we still have to deal with.
Old 07-06-13, 11:34 AM
SpursReport Rookie

what do you guys think is gonna happen with deshawn thomas? so far i
do not see anyone predicting he will make the team.
Old 07-06-13, 12:10 PM
SR Team Goof

With the signing of Pendergraph, I'd say the Spurs will leave that last roster spot open to review the players from the summer league. If Thomas impresses, he could probably be signed. But I think the Spurs leave that spot open for a 'just in case' situation, somebody being released from another team, player buyouts, etc.
Old 07-06-13, 12:33 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I hope they make a trade
Why?! The spurs where seconds and a rebound away from winning the whole thing why On earth would you want them to make an arbitrary trade? Thats terrible basketball. I'm not a fan of making random trades just to make headlines, that's not why I love and watch basketball. In fact I hate trades, trades are for inept front offices. The spurs were a damn fine team last year championship are not I'm glad they get another go at it, plus Marco who was a fantastic addition.
Old 07-06-13, 01:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I like the progress CoJo made but he has to get even better is he is going to be a consistent back up to TP. I would prefer a legit back up PG > athletic SF > Back up Big. I hope Baynes gets a chance and think he might be able to contribute during the regular season. Jack, AK47 or Ariza would be an excellent addition. I would be happy with any of the three and live with whatever deficit we have.
Old 07-06-13, 03:25 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox86182 View Post
Why?! The spurs where seconds and a rebound away from winning the whole thing why On earth would you want them to make an arbitrary trade? Thats terrible basketball. I'm not a fan of making random trades just to make headlines, that's not why I love and watch basketball. In fact I hate trades, trades are for inept front offices. The spurs were a damn fine team last year championship are not I'm glad they get another go at it, plus Marco who was a fantastic addition.
I didn't say make a random trade. Do you want more point guards or something since you like to put thoughts in my posts?? I decided you want more point guards according to your post.
Old 07-06-13, 07:55 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Scola!

Old 07-07-13, 12:40 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Carlos Delfino!
Old 07-07-13, 06:16 AM
Herman Cain of the board

TRADE BONNER!
Old 07-07-13, 06:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Backup SF to Kawai
Old 07-07-13, 08:16 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Damion James as SF backup
Old 07-07-13, 09:22 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Mombear wants HORRY!!!!
Old 07-07-13, 10:51 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

AK47
Oden
Old 07-07-13, 07:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
TRADE BONNER!
Seeing Timothy Mozgov might be available? Denver could use a floor spacer and a young play making PG like De Colo or more instant offense like Mills.
Old 07-07-13, 07:59 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainlate View Post
Mombear wants HORRY!!!!
Gosh... last playoff we could easily won that title with Horry's touch that was so missing!!!!!
I hope that basketball Gods can send us a player like Horry to put DAGGERS for us in Finals!!!! Def wish there is a clone for Horry!
Sorry MB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Seeing Timothy Mozgov might be available? Denver could use a floor spacer and a young play making PG like De Colo or more instant offense like Mills.
Now that is what we are talking about!! Good Thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Carlos Delfino!
I would LOVE to have Delfino on this team.
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 07-07-13, 08:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Delfino signed with Bucks
Old 07-08-13, 08:35 AM
SpursReport Rookie

What about Mickaël Gelabale? He is a SF (6' 7", 215 lbs), played 36 games with the Wolves this past season (stats : 5.0 pts, 0.7 ass., 2.8 reb., PER 11.84)., and is French! ;-)

He was just cut by the Wolves (source : French sports site sports.fr)

Last edited by DrDude; 07-08-13 at 08:37 AM. Reason: availability
Old 07-08-13, 01:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDude View Post
What about Mickaël Gelabale? He is a SF (6' 7", 215 lbs), played 36 games with the Wolves this past season (stats : 5.0 pts, 0.7 ass., 2.8 reb., PER 11.84)., and is French! ;-)

He was just cut by the Wolves (source : French sports site sports.fr)
Saw that to, and thought that Tony and Pop had something to do with him going to Minnesota? Believe the Spurs wanted him but didn't have the roster spot for him. Plus he's a French guy and could come cheap to back Leonard. Possibility?
Old 07-08-13, 02:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Unless De Colo or Mills really step up and show that they are dependable backups for TP, I'd prefer a PG or SG that can handle the ball and the pressure. I really think we were way too dependent on TP last season. In the past it was Manu, but he is less reliable and was exploited by Miami when TP was resting. Does Bellineli fill that void? I know Ellis can if he can accept a lesser role.

Last edited by jackc852; 07-08-13 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-08-13, 02:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas97 View Post
AK47
Oden
Make it happen and #5 is ours

- Confucius
Old 07-08-13, 02:58 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackc852 View Post
Unless De Colo or Mills really step up and show that they are dependable backups for TP, I'd prefer a PG or SG that can handle the ball and the pressure. I really think we were way too dependent on TP last season. In the past it was Manu, but he is less reliable and was exploited by Miami when TP was resting. Does Bellineli fill that void? I know Ellis can if he can accept a lesser role.
I agree on the PG back up. Seriously!

Back up PG is so GLARING in my honest opinion.

Maybe the summer league would have any good PG?
Or maybe right before the end of this off season front office will do a S & T?

I just hope Pop would be honest enough with those two Nando and Patrick to tell them if they are good enough to handle the rock in the PO or just a regular season PG by committee type of players.

SADLY Pop has to face this PG back up issue and address it sooner or later. Otherwise Spurs repeat that pathetic horrifying last two years elimination losses right before the end of that promise land mountain.
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 07-08-13, 03:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post
I agree on the PG back up. Seriously!

Back up PG is so GLARING in my honest opinion.

Maybe the summer league would have any good PG?
Or maybe right before the end of this off season front office will do a S & T?

I just hope Pop would be honest enough with those two Nando and Patrick to tell them if they are good enough to handle the rock in the PO or just a regular season PG by committee type of players.

SADLY Pop has to face this PG back up issue and address it sooner or later. Otherwise Spurs repeat that pathetic horrifying last two years elimination losses right before the end of that promise land mountain.
EXACTLY!

In our title years (not including 99) we had Speedy and Beno, not to mention a more able Manu to shoulder the load when TP was either not performing (03) or just resting. There was a remarkable drop in possession quality against the Heat this season in the finals.

Old 07-08-13, 03:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I have to admit I am a bit underwhelmed by the offseason. Yes, Spurs were within seconds of another championship, but with all the changes, there is no guarantee of the same team being able to get back to the Final game.

Right now, I see the FO depending on the summer for the players (ie Kawhi, Splitter, Baynes, DeColo, Cory) they currently have to get better and the old players to stay healthy (Manu, TP, TD) rather then adding any new significant talent to the fold.

I can only hope they are right in this estimation because they have some serious competition with GS, LAC and HOU who have become much stronger.

I didn't think they had to go out and get a superstar, but some upcoming talent would have been nice to at least try and get through trades or signings with their cap space/expiring pieces (ie Teague, Copeland, etc.). We will have to see on the 10th if the MLE is still available, but it looks like it was split between Bellini and Pendergraph.

Time will tell to see if Bellini and Pendergraph were the right pieces to add but for now, it's a little underwhelming that both are middle of the road at best for now. Still don't understand the interest with Morrow with Bellini in the fold where I think defense is more of a concern at the SF/PF/C positions even though I do think he could be a nice addition from a 3pt% perspective. Problem is, we have a lot of one trick poneys that aren't versatile enough.

Looking forward to summer league and hoping that a few 'get it' now and become regular contributors instead of bench warmers.
Old 07-08-13, 11:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Mr Jones took ramblings and made it an idea!

But I think the Spurs are now going to see how Summer league pans out where they will try some cheap ideas and then move on the best they think fits.