SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   3 THINGS SPLITTER MUST IMPROVE ON (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120105-3-things-splitter-must-improve.html)

Flipmode Master 07-04-13 08:28 AM

3 THINGS SPLITTER MUST IMPROVE ON

The San Antonio Spurs have opened their offseason with a bit of a bang, signing their starting center to a hefty contract. Splitter now has 9 million (yearly) reasons to improve on his game, and there is plenty room for improvement.

3 Things Splitter Must Improve On

Spurd_On 07-04-13 08:35 AM

I can only guess that this was the consensus of the coaching staff and they believe it is possible.

Uwe Blab 07-04-13 09:30 AM

This is stuff you work on with a rookie. Splitter is almost 30. He's hit his ceiling.

ibanezsr 07-04-13 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1302270)
This is stuff you work on with a rookie. Splitter is almost 30. He's hit his ceiling.

Haha hit his ceiling? The dude just played his first full year in the NBA (staying healthy and getting decent minutes) and is only 28 yrs old. Tony Parker elevated his game plenty since he was 28 and he had been in the NBA for a good amount of time prior to that. I don't think its unrealistic to think that Splitter has room to grow. I'm not the biggest Splitter fan by any means but I can appreciate what he brings and when he starts to get over 30 mins a game I bet he brings more to the table. And I would rather see him playing next to Duncan in Timmy's final years instead of going to another team and having to watch whatever 2nd rate big man SA brings in to have to take so much time learning the offensive and defensive schemes. No thanks

Uwe Blab 07-04-13 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibanezsr (Post 1302275)
Haha hit his ceiling? The dude just played his first full year in the NBA (staying healthy and getting decent minutes) and is only 28 yrs old. Tony Parker elevated his game plenty since he was 28 and he had been in the NBA for a good amount of time prior to that. I don't think its unrealistic to think that Splitter has room to grow. I'm not the biggest Splitter fan by any means but I can appreciate what he brings and when he starts to get over 30 mins a game I bet he brings more to the table. And I would rather see him playing next to Duncan in Timmy's final years instead of going to another team and having to watch whatever 2nd rate big man SA brings in to have to take so much time learning the offensive and defensive schemes. No thanks

This guy was a pro overseas so this isn't his first professional team. He's been in the Spurs organization for 3 years, where you'd think they would have been working on things even if he wasn't playing. He's hit his ceiling, and you'll be wanting to trade him in 2 years.

El Fanatico 07-04-13 12:58 PM

TD and TP have expanded elements of their game in the last 2-3 years. Compare TP 2011 to TP 2013. He's unquestionalby a better decision maker, and passer but he kept the things that made him great. TD shot a better free throw percentage this year because he's expanding his game. This stuff about not being able to improve a veteran's game is simple laziness. Great players keep growing. If he doesn't improve his game he will be traded.

Good better best. Never Let it rest.

It works for TD and it can work for Splitter.

Those 3 areas are a lot to change in 1 year, but I'm confident they'll work with Splitter and expand his game bit by bit.

joyner 07-04-13 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Fanatico (Post 1302280)
TD and TP have expanded elements of their game in the last 2-3 years. Compare TP 2011 to TP 2013. He's unquestionalby a better decision maker, and passer but he kept the things that made him great. TD shot a better free throw percentage this year because he's expanding his game. This stuff about not being able to improve a veteran's game is simple laziness. Great players keep growing. If he doesn't improve his game he will be traded.

Good better best. Never Let it rest.

It works for TD and it can work for Splitter.

Those 3 areas are a lot to change in 1 year, but I'm confident they'll work with Splitter and expand his game bit by bit.

This.

Also, Splitter was a pro overseas for years. That's like saying that a baseball player just called up from the Minors has hit their ceiling just because they've technically played professionally for years. Overseas is a different game.

Not saying that Splitter's going to improve that much, just saying that the argument that he's hit his ceiling doesn't have traction.

ibanezsr 07-04-13 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1302279)
This guy was a pro overseas so this isn't his first professional team. He's been in the Spurs organization for 3 years, where you'd think they would have been working on things even if he wasn't playing. He's hit his ceiling, and you'll be wanting to trade him in 2 years.

TP was a pro overseas too and didn't develop a decent jumper until a few years ago. Being a pro overseas compared to the NBA is apples to oranges. The training programs Tiago has access to now is nite and day to what had before. Splitter spent the first two years in SA being hurt or not getting consistent minutes. Over the past year alone he has improved his free throws and his defense. All I am saying is I think he deserves some more time to improve before I cast him away. And its not like there are that many options if Spurs let Splitter walk. Jefferson sucks on defense and needs the ball in his hands to be useful which takes away from this being TPs offense. How many big name free agents want to come to SA? Spurs took the safe approach and I think Tiago will surprise some of us when he gets to play 30 mins +. And if not who cares as Spurs are rebuilding in a few years anyways and will suck for a bit anyways.

rooster 07-04-13 01:54 PM

Tiago needs a couple of dream shake moves. and a jump hook shot.

Peachhaze 07-04-13 04:11 PM

A strong post game and his footwork. He has the worst footwork I've ever seen for a 7 footer. He needs a Hakeem's big man camp in the worst way.

No 7 footer should have a reverse layup as his go-to move.

Flipmode Master 07-04-13 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1302270)

I disagree...Spurs don't expect him to become a franchise player but to hit a couple more jumpers, finish stronger, and to grab a few more rebounds a game. It would take his reg season average from 11 ppg 6 rpg to an attainable 15 ppg 9-10 rpg...very realistic IMHO.

TimmyDthaWay2B 07-05-13 09:39 AM

verticle....hands.....strength.....post game.....

tuncaboylu 07-05-13 09:52 AM

The improvement never ends. Splitter can improve some fields of his game, he still has potential and I hope ambition.

But 3 things are :
Scoring Versatility: It's hard to improve after that age. He may learn some footworks, mid-range jumber and that's all. Post-up play? Not easy after that age.

Strength Conditioning: He can do it, he should gain some weight to his muscles.

Rebounding: It can not be learnt after 28 years old. Splitter will be a mediocre rebounder at his best.

montgod 07-05-13 10:42 AM

For him, I think they would be happy if he could simply gain the following:

1. Learn how to be more decisive in the paint. Either pass or go up with it and know when they are defending a particular way for either.
2. Take the ball up strong if close to the basket and get fouls. He already can shoot free throws (even though he looks crazy shooting them - see vw baseball throwing commercial LOL) so that's half the job.
3. Box out!

If he does these three things alone, he will work out well and build on... well add to what he currently does.

WILLTHETHRILL 07-05-13 01:33 PM

I have no issue re-signing him on the merit of his play. I just don't like his contract. It's too much. Funny they wanted to pay Splitter and Jackie Butler but not Scola and Javtokas. Strange!

Uwe Blab 07-05-13 03:01 PM

There's nothing in his current game that indicates he could improve on any of the things talked about. You can't just add athleticism to his game. That's why he gets blocked. He can't out jump anyone, he can't be quicker than the other defender. If he added pounds he would be even slower. He's a finesse player under the basket, and that's not going to change. And as far as getting a midrange jumper, can you imagine him trying to pop a shot off the pick and roll? It's just not his game. You guys are talking about a complete 180 of someone's game and it's not going to happen. When Tony and Tim improved on themselves, it was with things that they were already doing and just needed to fine tune it.

Splitter, meet ceiling.

joyner 07-05-13 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1302464)
There's nothing in his current game that indicates he could improve on any of the things talked about. You can't just add athleticism to his game. That's why he gets blocked. He can't out jump anyone, he can't be quicker than the other defender. If he added pounds he would be even slower. He's a finesse player under the basket, and that's not going to change. And as far as getting a midrange jumper, can you imagine him trying to pop a shot off the pick and roll? It's just not his game. You guys are talking about a complete 180 of someone's game and it's not going to happen. When Tony and Tim improved on themselves, it was with things that they were already doing and just needed to fine tune it.

Splitter, meet ceiling.

I disagree -- he's improved each of the two years he's been with us, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't improve for a third year as well. I don't think he'll make as big a step forward between years 2 and 3 that he made between 1 and 2, but I think he'll evolve from a 10/6 guy to a 15/8 guy, which is all we really need him to do. I understand what you're saying about the individual skills, but I don't think what he brings to the table can be summarized by his individual skills.

grizzly_bexar 07-05-13 08:00 PM

I think he will improve, but the overall character of his game won't change. He'll get better and work around some of his weaknesses, but by no means should we expect him to turn into a slam dunking, shot blocking, jump shooting fiend.

ibanezsr 07-05-13 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1302464)

Splitter, meet ceiling.

Looks like many disagree with you. Maybe you have reached your ceiling?

buttsR4rebounding 07-05-13 11:44 PM

If Splitter can score and rebound at the per minute rate he did 2012 and play 30 minutes a game he will average 15 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block and one steal per game. His contract will look like a steal.

joyner 07-06-13 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibanezsr (Post 1302565)
Looks like many disagree with you. Maybe you have reached your ceiling?

I disagree with him, but I don't think he's been unreasonable or ignorant. Everything he predicted could very easily come true. I hope it doesn't, but I think it's possible.

Flipmode Master 07-06-13 02:51 PM

Again, no one is expecting Splitter to go 20 and 14 every night but a couple more baskets and a few more rebounds a game is VERY possible and realistic expectations.

Spurd_On 07-07-13 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flipmode Master (Post 1302644)
Again, no one is expecting Splitter to go 20 and 14 every night but a couple more baskets and a few more rebounds a game is VERY possible and realistic expectations.

I recall back during the draft when Splitter was scouted and then picked, that one of his drawbacks was that his hands were not that large for a typical man of his size thus giving him a disadvantage in ball handling. Taking that into consideration, he apparently does have physical limitations but I agree with Flipmode Master in that anyone with physical limitations can always find a way to overcome them and improve. One more regulation NBA season under his belt after having experienced the Finals and I think he can bump it up a few notches.

WILLTHETHRILL 07-09-14 10:08 PM

Splitter!lol

grizzly_bexar 07-09-14 10:28 PM

It seems he has shown the most improvement on defensive physicality one-on-one. He is finishing around the rim better. But mainly we have avoided concerns about Splitter's offensive limitations in the post by putting Boris in the post.

Boris Diaw was our best offensive post threat this last year.

Uwe Blab 07-10-14 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1315941)
Splitter!lol

Nothing on that list has improved. He had his moments this playoffs, but still can be neutralized fairly easily. I hate when I'm right all the time. :D

jackc852 07-10-14 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar (Post 1315944)
It seems he has shown the most improvement on defensive physicality one-on-one. He is finishing around the rim better. But mainly we have avoided concerns about Splitter's offensive limitations in the post by putting Boris in the post.

Boris Diaw was our best offensive post threat this last year.

That's what I think as well. I believe he is one of the best one-on-one post defenders in the league against bigs that play in the midrange area. He can get overpowered down low and blown by by the quicker 4's, but his D is solid overall.