News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-13, 02:16 PM
SpursReport Rookie

WoJo; Ginobili 2 yrs/ $14 Million

Too much in my mind. But it is what it is.
Old 07-03-13, 02:18 PM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

So if we sign other free agents first to use up our cap space, can we then sign manu and tiago to their deals and go over the cap and end up around the tax threshold?
Old 07-03-13, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I don't believe so. All of our own FAs count against our cap first.
Old 07-03-13, 02:21 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Our cap space is gone. We will go over the If we re-sign neal and they are just going to have the mid-level exception available. I think maybe also the biannual exception.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-03-13, 02:23 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

They may have done this on purpose so that exceptions are available. If they had brought him lower, the resulting cap space may not be more than the exceptions.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-03-13, 02:24 PM
SpursReport Rookie

We didn't address needing another player who could score off the dribble. I'm thinking if you had a gun to the Spurs' heads, they'd tell you that they didn't want Diaw to opt-in.
Old 07-03-13, 02:25 PM
SpursReport Rookie

That's probably correct. Gives us more flexibility to use the exceptions.
Old 07-03-13, 02:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Can splitter or bonner be packaged together for a trade? I know in some cases a period of time must pass before said players can be traded so.... Holla back if you know the answer

- Confucius
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
We didn't address needing another player who could score off the dribble. I'm thinking if you had a gun to the Spurs' heads, they'd tell you that they didn't want Diaw to opt-in.
If Kawhi stays on track, they may have that in house. Don't despair yet, MLE is in play.

But the exceptions arent guna get us anyone that our free agent money could have no?
Old 07-03-13, 02:28 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuspence281 View Post
But the exceptions arent guna get us anyone that our free agent money could have no?
Only if we did't sign Tiago, didn't sign Manu, and amnestied Bonner.
Old 07-03-13, 02:29 PM

This is not a tragedy by any sense. Remember it is never really did dollar amounts that the players get that counts. It is the dollar amounts relative to available Space versus salary-cap exceptions.

So paying Manu 7 mil and splitter 9 mil plus whatever for Neal say 3 milis the same in effect as signing them all total for half of that because you would have abou the same money left for one final piece which is the mid level.
Old 07-03-13, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
I think that's probably true.
Old 07-03-13, 02:31 PM

Quote:
So if we sign other free agents first to use up our cap space, can we then sign manu and tiago to their deals and go over the cap and end up around the tax threshold?
We will not be near the tax, but we will likely end up over the cap.
Old 07-03-13, 02:32 PM
The Master Baiter

Well, that's that. We'll have to put our hopes that Tim doesn't regress and that Tony doesn't break down while putting the entire team on his back the whole year. KY, we need you more than ever.
Old 07-03-13, 02:36 PM
SpursReport Team Member

RT @ZachLowe_NBA Most likely course for Spurs is to stay over cap via Manu/Tiago cap holds, use full MLE, then sign new Manu/Tiago deals.

Last edited by DDAMAGE; 07-03-13 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-03-13, 02:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

But doesn't this leave them with ~3 mil left (I read somewhere that the cap space was $19mil for this year). Barring a sign/trade, and the sudden emergence of Oden as the next Ben Wallace (his ceiling at this point, IMO), we don't have ANY upgrades as compared to last year.

Neal is going to choke and is pretty much good for nothing other than TOs and 1 good game/playoffs.

Manu is *bless his heart* done (WTF are they doing paying him 7mil??)

CoJo might or might not add value. 50-50.

Leonard is the only player that we can bet on to improve (maybe Split, but we've seen his best this season), but with the Big 3's continued decline (we saw what happened as soon as Parker extended his hamstring), I don't see us winning another championship anytime soon.

Its a tragedy that Duncan isn't getting the support he needs while putting up performances he has no business putting up at 37/38.

Sorry for ranting.
Old 07-03-13, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Well, that's that. We'll have to put our hopes that Tim doesn't regress and that Tony doesn't break down while putting the entire team on his back the whole year. KY, we need you more than ever.
Leonard and green also need to continue to develop as does Tiago. And Cory Joseph needs to become a true backup point guard.
SpursReport Rookie

Gives us MLE. Up to 4 years. Starts at around $5 million, up to 4.5% yearly raises. That buys a nice Spur type need. It really is good cap management.
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Yea...doing the #'s in my head I think we go over so might as well sign Neal and then use our Room MLE ....not sure we can use the mini mid level...
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 07-03-13, 02:41 PM
SpursReport Team Member

What a fu@k!n' waste of money distribution. Way to kill the needs of the team and pray the old guys get better. No help for Parker or Leonard! Sickened me that they figured this is truly going to help them get back to the finals.
Old 07-03-13, 02:41 PM
SpursReport Team Member

For those who hoped for Spurs to use cap room on shiny, new FA toys ... Meet me back here in two years. They'll have beaucoup space then.
Old 07-03-13, 02:46 PM
SpursReport Rookie

We get the full MLE if we are above cap like we think. I'm not sure if we used the bi annual exception last year or not. I think that's around $2 million. Ironically, if we nickel and dimed Manu, we would have less money available.
Old 07-03-13, 02:52 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I'm quite surprised there are still people on here that actually believed the Spurs would over pay for guys like Evans or Ellis. That, is the kind of signing we should all be pussed about if it ever happens. Which it won't. The Spurs are too smart to sign players who have skills, but no hoops team skills or IQ. This is the reason we have the model, most successful nba franchise. Even when Timmy had a bad year to years ago, our system got us to the WCF. I'm sure the Spurs will sprinkle in some younger players, and develop guys like Joeseph, Nando, Baynes, etc. they have been told for years they are too old. Sure some forum GM's will say so again.
Old 07-03-13, 02:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Still trying to understand the Spurs grand plan here. There has to be a reason for it all as well as all the rumorville action regarding interest in everyone (i.e. MEllis, Korver, DWright, Oden, AK47, etc.).

I definitely wasn't expecting for Manu to make this much a year especially when he was contemplating retiring at the end of the Finals. Why a two year deal with no options?
Old 07-03-13, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod View Post
Still trying to understand the Spurs grand plan here. There has to be a reason for it all as well as all the rumorville action regarding interest in everyone (i.e. MEllis, Korver, DWright, Oden, AK47, etc.).

I definitely wasn't expecting for Manu to make this much a year especially when he was contemplating retiring at the end of the Finals. Why a two year deal with no options?
Yeah Im sure glad we had all those misdirection smoke screens so that we could resign our own free agents at more than what they deserve.
Old 07-03-13, 03:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

We resigned with Splitter-Manu and we will have full MLE.

That's not bad at all. Last year's team + full MLE. We should go after Jarrett Jack and AK47.
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

LOVE MANU and I was hoping to give less money for Manu so we can use the cap to bring more needed chip pieces...

Maybe we could have lost Manu and we needed Manu back.....?!
Market Value!? It is determined by big market teams and small market teams would have to pay for it.

It is what it is folks.

We just have to play the CARDS dealt to us more wisely.

Our Spurs FO needs to make the best of all those contracts!!!!!!!!!

Who knows if the second year is Guaranteed? Who knows how much is the first year? Who knows what the terms are on those contracts!
I asked them if it wasn't too much trouble, if I wasn't being too pushy, if they could execute what we were trying to do. And if it didn't make them too angry, if they also wanted to play some defense on the other end, that would be great.
--Gregg Popovich!
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDAMAGE View Post
RT @ZachLowe_NBA Most likely course for Spurs is to stay over cap via Manu/Tiago cap holds, use full MLE, then sign new Manu/Tiago deals.

I don't know how it works but maybe Manu and Splitter get a different contract BUT I don't know..I'm just hoping for the best..
Old 07-03-13, 03:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post

That's not bad at all. Last year's team + full MLE. We should go after Jarrett Jack and AK47.
How are you factoring two players with the MLE? There is no way.... at least not the ones you mention.

Maybe one but definitely not two unless a trade occurs.
Old 07-03-13, 03:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post

I'd like to use MLE on ellis and perform sign a trade using bonner and neal's new contract for AK-47

- Confucius
Old 07-03-13, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
I'd like to use MLE on ellis and perform sign a trade using bonner and neal's new contract for AK-47
Sure why not.
Old 07-03-13, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Nice thought, but IF.. and that's a BIG IF something like that were to happen, I would imagine it would be the other way around since Minnesota doesn't have anymore cap space after their recent signings (to point of discussing renouncing AK47) and Bucks do. I doubt they accept that though... for Ellis.

Its going to be interesting to see what Spurs do next w/all the rumors swirling of who they are interested in.
Old 07-03-13, 03:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Sure why not.
You are a smart man indeed

- Confucius
Old 07-03-13, 03:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Nice thought, but IF.. and that's a BIG IF something like that were to happen, I would imagine it would be the other way around since Minnesota doesn't have anymore cap space after their recent signings (to point of discussing renouncing AK47) and Bucks do. I doubt they accept that though... for Ellis.

Its going to be interesting to see what Spurs do next w/all the rumors swirling of who they are interested in.
I get what you're saying. Either way I think there is interest in Neal out on the market. I hope the FO looks to sign and trade him. I would love for Ellis to come in take his PT as well as alleviating Manu and TP's duties at point. Also, I think AK-47 would sign for less in exchange for 2-3 year contract with third being team option

- Confucius
Old 07-03-13, 03:13 PM

Quote:
You are a smart man indeed
WHy thank you. But seriously tho. If its possible. Why not?
Old 07-03-13, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
WHy thank you. But seriously tho. If its possible. Why not?
Exdactly my point. This is the time to go ALL in without sacrificing young talent but by my standards and my rational, we are NOT. Using Neal and Bonner for either AK-47 or Ellis is a smart move if it means getting both once using the full MLE. My olnly worry is the spurs signing oden using a portion of the MLE. Does anyone know if we would qualify for the LLE? If so, I can see that going to ODEN

- Confucius
Old 07-03-13, 03:17 PM
SR Team Goof

Well, that was a delightful free agency plunge. We should do this again sometime soon when we have some salary cap to work with. Oh, I forgot, we still have the MLE. Do you think Howard might bite??
Old 07-03-13, 03:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
How are you factoring two players with the MLE? There is no way.... at least not the ones you mention.

Maybe one but definitely not two unless a trade occurs.
Yes we can get only one of them, but there is no guarantee that both will accept. We should court both.
Old 07-03-13, 03:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

So, lets look at what the Spurs options are, or what they could have been. Say they would have signed an Ellis. He opted out of a $10 million contract, so you know he's looking for more. If we signed him for $11 million, we lose Tiago, our #1 center, and possibly Manu. We fill in around him with, what ? Now, we resign our guys, who know our system, and who helped us get within an inch of a title, and have about $20 million over 4 years to offer someone else. Looks pretty straight forward to me. It's not like we have the Knicks or Lakers FO spending foolishly. And, we will never pay the luxury tax. Just except that's the market we are in. In top of that, we actually have tradeable assets. Between Diaw and Bonner, we have $10 million in expiring contracts, for seviceable back ups. We have a Nando or Joeseph to throw in, if we decide to keep one over the other, because they are redundant. Plus, some Euro talent. Be patient. I don't think the Spurs are done yet. They just took care of their in house stuff first
Old 07-03-13, 03:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabspur View Post
So, lets look at what the Spurs options are, or what they could have been. Say they would have signed an Ellis. He opted out of a $10 million contract, so you know he's looking for more. If we signed him for $11 million, we lose Tiago, our #1 center, and possibly Manu. We fill in around him with, what ? Now, we resign our guys, who know our system, and who helped us get within an inch of a title, and have about $20 million over 4 years to offer someone else. Looks pretty straight forward to me. It's not like we have the Knicks or Lakers FO spending foolishly. And, we will never pay the luxury tax. Just except that's the market we are in. In top of that, we actually have tradeable assets. Between Diaw and Bonner, we have $10 million in expiring contracts, for seviceable back ups. We have a Nando or Joeseph to throw in, if we decide to keep one over the other, because they are redundant. Plus, some Euro talent. Be patient. I don't think the Spurs are done yet. They just took care of their in house stuff first
I see Neal being signed and traded. Now what would the team use and him and say Bonner for? I think the answer is another shooter, but with better ball handling and anyone compared to NEal is a much better defender. I think they may be planning this exact scenario to get Monte Ellis at say $7M mark and use the MLE for AK-47. All bases would be covered and could throw some sort of contract out there ODEN since we are strong at the core and can ease him into the rigors of the nba again

- Confucius
Old 07-03-13, 03:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabspur View Post
Yes, but taking care of the in house stuff should have meant talking care of our back up pg/sf needs to.
Old 07-03-13, 03:34 PM

I was under the impression Oden was going to be offered something around the vet min.
Old 07-03-13, 03:46 PM
SpursReport Rookie

We have the ability to sign another guy now to fill those roles! With about $5 million a year. A signing of Ellis or Evans earlier would have regressed that. Spurs will do a great job and wait til they get value. Again, they can also move some assets, such as expiring contracts. 2014 is the year of the free agent. Expiring contracts are gold. And, lets say an AK47 or Ellis go t get an offer. It's possible for sign and trades, because Bonner and/or Diaw can be rent an expiring contract player. I'm convinced that's one of the reasons we did not look to amnesty Bonner
Old 07-03-13, 03:50 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDAMAGE View Post
For those who hoped for Spurs to use cap room on shiny, new FA toys ... Meet me back here in two years. They'll have beaucoup space then.
You can atleast give JeffM credit for his words...lol
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 07-03-13, 04:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS View Post
You can atleast give JeffM credit for his words...lol

You know, God's honest truth it was in there then I tried to clean it up (still learning the twitter copy and paste that Spurscrazed showed me) it just didn't work. Was being lazy and didn't want to edit it. My apologies to Jeff...lol
Old 07-03-13, 04:08 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I just have to laugh. I get that the FO wants to give this group another crack at it, but it's just funny that the two guys that disappeared during the finals are resigned. This was expected, but all I can do is laugh at this point.
Old 07-03-13, 04:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Disappeared in finals? Did you watch Parker in games 6 and 7?
Old 07-03-13, 04:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I love Manu, really, but this is too much dough right now. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 07-03-13, 04:36 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I'll say this again. Giving that contract to Manu, ALLOWS us to spend more. A lesser contract, we are under the cap, by a little, and we have no more available $. So, if Holt is ok with spending a few extra (under luxury tax for sure), and we can still add a player of need, this all makes sense. And for all of the complaining on this particular board, if the Spurs had let Manu sign elsewhere, for slightly more, they would have had a fan mutiny on their hands.