News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-03-13, 10:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Gino's back!

@manuginobili: Thrilled to announce that as I always hoped, I'm gonna stay with the @spurs for two more years. #gospursgo.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-03-13, 10:40 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Better question is at what price ?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-03-13, 10:42 AM
SpursReport Rookie

That puff of smoke you just saw was the Spurs' cap space.
Old 07-03-13, 10:52 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

2 years - same amount of time as Tim left on his contract. Hopefully it's 1 with an option. It's gotta be about 7 mil...
Old 07-03-13, 11:07 AM
The Master Baiter

In two years Manu will be shooting the ball from a wheelchair. And the fans will still keep saying that once he gets healthy he'll be an all star.
Old 07-03-13, 11:16 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I like it. We did still make it to the finals, and he was a big part of that. Better than wasting almost $4 million on Bonner, who should be serving turkey sandwiches at Subway.....In New Hampshire.... Starting tomorrow.... Morning.
Old 07-03-13, 11:17 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Two yearss fully guaranteed.

I hope that it's not more than 12M.

Last edited by tuncaboylu; 07-03-13 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-03-13, 11:19 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm hoping it's not an onerous contract.
Truth be told, we really do need one more young, athletic, near-elite player on the roster. Someone who can help to create (and finish) opportunities on offense, and also to play great defense in the playoffs.
Old 07-03-13, 11:25 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

from KSAT:
AN ANTONIO -

San Antonio Spurs star shooting guard Manu Ginobili says he will stay with the organization for another two years.

The Argentine native made the announcement via his Twitter account just after 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, saying, "Thrilled to announce that as I always hoped, I'm gonna stay with the @spurs for two more years. #gospursgo."

He repeated the message a minute later in his native Spanish: "Feliz de contarles que tal lo esperaba, me quedo en los Spurs por dos años más!"

Ginobili helped the Spurs advance to the NBA Finals in the 2012-13 season, where they fell to the Miami Heat.

He is a three-time NBA champion (2003, 2005, 2007), a two-time NBA All-Star (2005, 2011), a Euroleague champion (2001) and an Olympic gold medal-winner (2004).

There has been no official word from the Spurs organization, nor has there been details released on the two-year deal.

Old 07-03-13, 11:25 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I find irony in that when Splitter or Manu were on the court during the Finals, I didn't even want to be in the same room as the television. I hope they give me reason to not want to do that again over the coming years.
Old 07-03-13, 11:31 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Kinda how I feel anytime Bonner and Neal are on the court. Any game. We got to the finals with Manu and Splitter being a big part of our team. Not the playoffs, the finals.
Old 07-03-13, 12:02 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
I find irony in that when Splitter or Manu were on the court during the Finals, I didn't even want to be in the same room as the television. I hope they give me reason to not want to do that again over the coming years.
Splitter didn't bother me near as much as watching to see what fresh disaster Manu was going to pull out of his bag of tricks.

If Pop is as smart as a lot of folks say he is, then he HAS to know that Manu's not going to be a part of the Spurs Big 3 any longer. Please he can't try to depend on him in crunch time, he's got to have other options this year.
Old 07-03-13, 12:08 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Unbelievable- Still. Manu was in at crunch time in every single game, and we had the finals in our hand. I see crazy people posting about guys like Rip Hamilton or Monta Ellis, or who ever. If we need anything, it's one more creator. If TP was stinking it up, like he did in game 6 and 7, our only option to handle the ball was Manu. If we had another option, possibly Kawhi, it would make Manu even more effective.
Old 07-03-13, 12:12 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Maybe he can shag for Kawhi during shootaround. He can also run the 'scout'team during scrimmages, so they can learn how to better get into transition. Drug testing ends right around the all star break, so that's an 8 week window of opportunity right there.

He can contribute at about 20 minutes a game at the two guard. I assume they'll cut another 4 minutes a game off Duncan and probably that much off Parker. We'll just ride into the playoffs at whatever seed we are and take our chances. There's been worse plans
Old 07-03-13, 12:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

A disaster waiting to happen. Manu will be older and more prone to injuries and longer time to recover. And if history shows, in a contract year the player plays good, but after the raise the game drops off. That's what's most likely going to happen, but we'll pray it doesn't.
Old 07-03-13, 12:32 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabspur View Post
Unbelievable- Still. Manu was in at crunch time in every single game, and we had the finals in our hand. I see crazy people posting about guys like Rip Hamilton or Monta Ellis, or who ever. If we need anything, it's one more creator. If TP was stinking it up, like he did in game 6 and 7, our only option to handle the ball was Manu. If we had another option, possibly Kawhi, it would make Manu even more effective.
Haters are gonna hate. I can see many jumping off a bridge lol

[email protected]
Old 07-03-13, 12:41 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Exhibit #1 why the Spurs wanted him back...

Jeff McDonald‏@JMcDonald_SAEN49m
The Captain speaks up on Manu deal. Tim Duncan text to @Monroe_SA: "YES!!! Couldn't have seen it happening any other way."

Jeff McDonald‏@JMcDonald_SAEN48m
More Duncan to @Monroe_SA: "Would have hated it without him here. Excited he's sticking around for two more."
Old 07-03-13, 12:49 PM
SpursReport Rookie

good signing, he still much better than your average player, I mean all it takes is one lucky shot yes Golden state, he doesnt make that shot we wouludt even be talking about any finals, I agree that he needs to be in a differeent situtation in not handling the ball as much as he used to, but he still is a major factor of what spurs do, we had the best record or close to it the last three seasons, went to the conference finals and the finals last year, how many teams you know can unsatisfied with this type of sucess, we want to win but we are doing it the right way, I agree with hoping he took less money and realize we need one more player to take us to the next level.
Old 07-03-13, 01:52 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Good Move to keep the BIG THREE until those wheels fall off!!!
Like Timmy D said we can't do this again without Manu!

Hopefully it is not that a huge number to cripple the Spurs Cap Space and chance to bring some other needed puzzle pieces here.

I was just thinking last night how Robert Horry retired at the age of 37 so let's see if Manu will too....

I am sure Pop will have Manu in a reduced role next season. We shall see!

Just a side note here: Maybe the Spurs have his contract NOT GUARANTEED!
We don't know details on this extention deal as of yet!!!
Old 07-03-13, 02:20 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

he gonna be ok.

just needs to realize his brain is faster, stronger, than his body now...
when i was in my last fights, (taekwondo) happened several times, that my mind reacted to counterattack certain action, but my body simply didnt acted fast enough to hit the kicks... it sucks, but one needs to realize theres no speed left, and use other tricks... hope manu adapt to his new reality fast!!
Old 07-03-13, 02:20 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Hearing 2 years, $14 million. Couple of things. This puts us, with potentially signing Neal at cap. That allows us to use MLE, or we would lose that capability. It actually voukd give us more money to work with. Or, we are just under, and we can dump Bonners contract to add another player. It's also pay for years of service. NBA is a fraternity. Doesn't hurt to have that reputation.
Old 07-03-13, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabspur View Post
Hearing 2 years, $14 million. Couple of things. This puts us, with potentially signing Neal at cap. That allows us to use MLE, or we would lose that capability. It actually voukd give us more money to work with. Or, we are just under, and we can dump Bonners contract to add another player. It's also pay for years of service. NBA is a fraternity. Doesn't hurt to have that reputation.
Can we use that MLE and then perform a sign and trade using Neal's new contract and Bonner in exchange for AK-47?

- Confucius
Old 07-03-13, 04:14 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
Can we use that MLE and then perform a sign and trade using Neal's new contract and Bonner in exchange for AK-47?
Potentially.
But Neal would have to agree to the trade. I don't see that. SAS or MIN?
Old 07-03-13, 05:08 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

We can offer somebody who wants some stability a 3-4yr deal starting at the MLE and backloading to a 7-9 mil per year deal. Possibly AK-47 or a Jarrett Jack/John Lucas III. (We know Lucas' dad, hah)
Old 07-03-13, 06:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Against the flow I am pumped to get Manu back in black, and $7 mill should not put anyone off..... its not just a pay day for the past, anyone decent can get that contract today and Manu as much as he tried too much in the finals couldren is still in the top half of players in the NBA on a regular basis and then like said in the Warriers game he pulls out something special that another player could not do and that is what we have him for.