SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   The ramifications of Tiago Splitter’s new 4-year, $36-million deal!! (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120085-ramifications-tiago-splitter-s-new-4-year-36-million-deal.html)

spurscrazed 07-02-13 08:46 PM

The ramifications of Tiago Splitter’s new 4-year, $36-million deal!!

The ramifications of Splitter's new 4-year, $36-million deal

Another Good Analysis by Matthew Tynan of 48 min of hell
:hat :hat

I pulled this excerpt:

Quote:

With now $9 million committed to Splitter for the 2013-14 season and Ginobili and Neal still waiting for their futures to officially be addressed, the Spurs are sitting at $7-8 million in cap space. Now, that number can change to $11-12 million if San Antonio does decide to amnesty Bonner, but that might not be necessary. (Remember, I removed cap holds from the equation, so that cap space is essentially reserved for Ginobili and Neal only, not another team’s free agent(s).)

Seeing that the Spurs are looking at $7-8 million to spend on Ginobili and Neal without using the amnesty provision on Matty, it’s entirely possible they utilize all their cap space in bringing the entire band back together. If they do stay over the cap by re-signing their own players, they’ll have access to the Mid-Level exception, which they would renounce the rights to if they fall below the salary cap. At this point, that might be the most effective way to use the dollars they have.

But then there’s the other route. If San Antonio wants to amnesty Bonner and reject any offers for Neal, the team would be looking at $11-12 million (keeping Manu’s cap hold in mind) to spend on Ginobili alone. We still have no idea where Manu sits in negotiations with the Spurs, but you’ve got to think the two sides have an idea on a number, or at least the amount of flexibility Ginobili is willing to afford. We’ve used a mark of about $5 million for Manu in the past here at 48 Minutes of Hell, so let’s stick with that.
Read more HERE

DDAMAGE 07-02-13 08:52 PM

I love the Spurs but I think we got lucky this year and bringing back the band sounds good but I don't think ,in my humble fan opinion, that we make it too the finals next year. I hope I'm wrong..

Uwe Blab 07-02-13 08:58 PM

So was there a benefit to NOT waiving Bonner before the deadline where they would have lost only 1 million, as opposed to amnesty-ing him and losing 3 million? If not, I can't see them amnesty-ing Bonner.

drcantgetright 07-02-13 08:59 PM

We need another PG and SF IMO for the bench. If the Spurs can do that, then I really don't care if they over spend on splitter.

steefposton 07-02-13 09:05 PM

Yes, there's a benefit. The $1 million would still count against the cap and (even though you still have to pay it) the full $3 million (+change) doesn't count against the cap. Basically, you pay $2 million to have $3 million in cap room. Not sure the Spurs would do that, but it is a "benefit".

spurscrazed 07-02-13 09:10 PM

Spurs Front Office did the right move despite the tremendous contract numbers. This seems like the right move for NOW. Other team would have offered higher numbers so Spurs Trumped on all other interested teams. Good Move IMO!

Make no mistake it is a TREMENDOUS task to find someone BIG to fit Pop's sophisticated schemes to get it to work with TD and TP and this team.

TREMENDOUS TASK.

BUT UNLESS this will open up FEW other doors of opportunities for the Spurs picking up few free agents that can help us with what is left, then we would seem to be standing pat.

I believe Spurs Front Office will pull Brilliant things out of their hats this off season.... They MUST act fast though because all the GOOD Fitting pieces will disappear very soon if they did not jump on them quicker!!!!!!!

Go Spurs Front Office Go!
:hat

Rzarector7 07-02-13 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcantgetright (Post 1301989)
We need another PG and SF IMO for the bench. If the Spurs can do that, then I really don't care if they over spend on splitter.

With what money? :shockedfacepalm

MichaelWi101 07-02-13 09:22 PM

Frankly there weren't a whole lot of people who thought the Spurs would make the finals this year, much less come withing 20 seconds of winning it all. It's way to early to pronounce doom and gloom on next season.

Now I'm not crazy with what they spent on Tiago and I've been a fan of his since day one, but at least he contributed in a large way to the Spurs getting to the finals and frankly for most of the playoffs, he was more important than Manu.

My fear is their going to pay Manu for what he used to be and not what he is now, a broken down 37 year old player at the end of his career.

Neal isn't going to break the bank and if any other teams wants to over pay him, then esta bien, see you around.

grizzly_bexar 07-02-13 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1301988)
So was there a benefit to NOT waiving Bonner before the deadline where they would have lost only 1 million, as opposed to amnesty-ing him and losing 3 million? If not, I can't see them amnesty-ing Bonner.

I don't see any benefit. I'm with you.

If you cut him before that deadline, you could have still brought them back on the veteran minimum salary and saved $2 million. Now, if you amnesty him, he Can't come back.

Maybe he will be used as a trade chip down the line. Doesn't seem likely though.

MichaelWi101 07-02-13 10:34 PM

The 3 B's of Spursdom Bonner Be Back

drcantgetright 07-02-13 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzarector7 (Post 1301993)
With what money? :shockedfacepalm

I don't see it either which is why I would rather see Splitter walk than his finish our free agency. The Spurs were close but I really think that parker worn down as the season went. He needs a legit back up.

Rzarector7 07-03-13 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDAMAGE (Post 1301985)
I love the Spurs but I think we got lucky this year and bringing back the band sounds good but I don't think ,in my humble fan opinion, that we make it too the finals next year. I hope I'm wrong..

I am not being negative but you are probably correct. We had the stars align this year pretty much and took advantage of it and nearly got the title. I hope I am wrong too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by drcantgetright (Post 1302004)
I don't see it either which is why I would rather see Splitter walk than his finish our free agency. The Spurs were close but I really think that parker worn down as the season went. He needs a legit back up.

And we still do not have one.

tuncaboylu 07-03-13 01:37 AM

If we can bring Jarrett Jack or Andrei Krilenko with MLE and resign with Manu for 2 years 10M contract; I'll say it an off-season.

Rzarector7 07-03-13 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuncaboylu (Post 1302012)
If we can bring Jarrett Jack or Andrei Krilenko with MLE and resign with Manu for 2 years 10M contract; I'll say it an off-season.

LOL neither will happen, you will get NEAL and BONNER! Manu will be here yeah no doubt but the other idiots will be back and we will get the same result. I wish for a upgrade this offseason with some cap, but it won't. :drummerfacepalm

tuncaboylu 07-03-13 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzarector7 (Post 1302016)
LOL neither will happen, you will get NEAL and BONNER! Manu will be here yeah no doubt but the other idiots will be back and we will get the same result. I wish for a upgrade this offseason with some cap, but it won't. :drummerfacepalm

If we're going to get same result, I won't be unhappy. This time Game 6 would be different.

And with the resigning of Manu and Splitter and not amnestying Bonner, we will have a good cap space to sign with a role player like Krilenko or Jack due to spursnation.

Spurs Nation

And they still might not be done. Depending on whatever Manu Ginobili gets should he return, and how Splitter’s contract is structured, and whether or not they elect to use the amnesty provision on Matt Bonner’s $3.9 million contract, the Spurs could still have enough resources to land an important rotation player.
Andrei Kirilenko and Monta Ellis have been cited as possibilities, and any number of other veterans are available that could help — Jarrett Jack, Jose Calderon, Corey Brewer.

exit7 07-03-13 04:32 AM

The big improvement the spurs had to make this offseason was to get Kawhi more experience. The dude came up big in Game 7 even with the loss.

The spurs were still a rebound away from a championship, don't forget that. And Splitter played a big part in that. He is still the best big man the spurs have had next to tim since D-Rob. Glad to see him get paid.

MichaelWi101 07-03-13 06:18 AM

You can bet the Spurs are counting on Joseph to continue to improve as the backup to Tony. The kid played well and seemed to get better with time, and he's what only 21?

There's a reason a lot of those backup pg's are on the market right now and keep floating from team to team, they're not consistent enough to make a difference anywhere.

spursfan9 07-03-13 02:51 PM

the cake was there for the spurs to eat this year, and they just threw it on the floor.
players were dropping to injury left and right paving our way to the finals.
but didnt capitalize.
dont think spurs made it all on purely being the best team, they were good, and they took advantage of opportunity.
they'll still be fun to watch, but another finals appearance, ... lol.
i guess we can always hope.
but these past playoffs was paved for our championship and ginobili kept giving the ball to maimi.

spurscrazed 07-03-13 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1302033)
You can bet the Spurs are counting on Joseph to continue to improve as the backup to Tony. The kid played well and seemed to get better with time, and he's what only 21?

There's a reason a lot of those backup pg's are on the market right now and keep floating from team to team, they're not consistent enough to make a difference anywhere.

Great Point!

I do believe our Nando De Colo and Joseph and Mills... all those are going to be more experienced and will participate in a lot of games and help us a lot.

We already know we have DIAW to help out and we should be happy to have him as he can play several positions.

Maybe Baynes with playing more minutes will participate and give us something....

We can still use the small portion remainder now to spend and bring us some VETERANS to back up TP and back up
and to Back up to seriously back up LEONARD. We DEF need SCORERS!!!

I guess after all if Spurs won the Championship last year we could have seen different signings and BLOWING up this team. But not yet since Timmy Duncan is here we have to still have this team built around TD and Pop's system. Still you have to think our Spurs FO is thinking about the era after TD and Manu. Maybe with Tony and building around Tony and Leonard.