SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-13, 02:50 PM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

Spurs Finalizing 5 yr/$45m extension For Splitter

:shocked:shocked:shocked:shocked

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 9m
San Antonio is finalizing a five year, $45 million contract extension for center Tiago Splitter, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Later changed to 4 yr /36m

There won't be a fifth year on the Splitter deal. The terms will be four years, $36 million-plus, sources tell Y! Sports.

— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July" target="_blank">https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/stat...58793473">July 2, 2013
- Posted by DDamage

Last edited by thesuspence281; 07-02-13 at 04:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-02-13, 02:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

not thrilled bout this...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-02-13, 02:51 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Seriously... Are you ****ting me... We just have our hearts broke in the finals and they are going to drop this **** on us...
Old 07-02-13, 02:52 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Unbelievable...
Old 07-02-13, 02:53 PM

Why in the world would you do 5 years? It doesnt even make sense to me. If we were guna do it I would have thought 3 at the most...
Old 07-02-13, 02:53 PM
Official SR Home Builder

MUITO DINHEIRO!
Old 07-02-13, 02:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

With threat of a Portland offer sheet lingering, Spurs, Splitter working out details of an agreement today, sources tell Y!

The Spurs are going to use their five-year extension on Tiago Splitter and not save it for Kawhi?
Old 07-02-13, 02:54 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Talk about a cap killer...
Old 07-02-13, 02:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

With the money he is receiving hopefully he can eat more Mexican food and get fatten up so he can dunk on someone....
Old 07-02-13, 03:00 PM
SpursReport Rookie

That is not the kind of money that you give to someone who barely averaged 10 points all year...
Old 07-02-13, 03:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I don't know how trades and contracts work but could he have been signed to be trade later?
Old 07-02-13, 03:06 PM

Sometimes what they spurs FO does defies our logic as fans... drives me crazy. I just hope they know what theyre doing.
Old 07-02-13, 03:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Old 07-02-13, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDAMAGE View Post
I don't know how trades and contracts work but could he have been signed to be trade later?
Thats what I was thinking but who would want to take that contract? Unless its been discussed beforehand.
Old 07-02-13, 03:08 PM

Quote:

Still too much to me... maybe the longer we wait the shorter and less expensive the deal will become lol.
Old 07-02-13, 03:10 PM

Splitter getting 9 while Duncan making 10? that sounds logical...
Old 07-02-13, 03:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Old 07-02-13, 03:11 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Looks like Pop and RC meant it when they said they wanted him back and they were going to stand pat this year. $9 mil a year, man that's a lot of money for his production level, let's hope he gets better next year.
Old 07-02-13, 03:18 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

Portland had the space to offer a four-year, $36M offer sheet on Splitter.

He should be in a Portland uniform then, instead of sucking the Spurs dry for four more years.
Old 07-02-13, 03:36 PM
SpursReport Rookie

could they have backloaded the contract. Less money this year and a lot more one Duncan and Ginobli are gone?
Old 07-02-13, 03:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmengd View Post
could they have backloaded the contract. Less money this year and a lot more one Duncan and Ginobli are gone?
good question.... lets hope they did and have their sites on some other additions besides Manu like AK47, Oden.
Old 07-02-13, 03:40 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Looks like Pop and RC meant it when they said they wanted him back and they were going to stand pat this year. $9 mil a year, man that's a lot of money for his production level, let's hope he gets better next year.
HOPE now is the only key. The other part of me is saying Rasho 2.0 here and he will not improve next year. This is too much for my liking. The day and age where average BIG MEN are way overpaid and way underproductive! Where is a D ROB now ?
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 07-02-13, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

RT @nicoletticoffee: ---> depending on how Spurs structured $36 million deal, first year could be $7.775 million, Qualifier was $4.93 mill
Old 07-02-13, 03:46 PM
SR Team Goof

When the Spurs finally do have a press conference to announce the verbal agreement or actual signing (o/a 10 July), I’m sure some reporter will ask the question --- ‘Why so much and for so long?’ and hopefully either RC or Pop or both will tell us their logic. In my mind, somebody sure had a brain dump.
Old 07-02-13, 03:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This is terrible news. Lets hope this goes to an Aldridge sign and trade

- Confucius
Old 07-02-13, 03:50 PM
The Master Baiter

Probably a backloaded deal, much like Richard Jefferson's, and they managed to get rid of him when they needed to.
Old 07-02-13, 04:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

On a side note, someone mentioned that the Wiz paid Martell Webster 3.5mill less than the Spurs paid Splitter... LOL! Wiz will never win.... 22mill for Webster? Really??
Old 07-02-13, 04:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Yes! 5 more years of alligator arm hook shots and small handed butterfinger action. Whoohoo!!! I think Tim should hang it up now. No sense investing all that energy next season. Obviously the FO doesn't give a crap about getting him some help. I hope Tiago spends his new fortune on arm/hand transplants and steroids. It's the Spurs' only chance at this point.
Old 07-02-13, 04:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Probably a backloaded deal, much like Richard Jefferson's, and they managed to get rid of him when they needed to.
This is a good point. They might be effectively giving Splitter the contract they knew he'd get elsewhere, knowing that he'll be tradeable on that contract in two years.

That kind of contract would see Splitter making $10 million/year in a couple years. Hmm. Now where have I heard that number before?
Old 07-02-13, 04:31 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Let's see, a big man who played 81 regular season games, was one of the main reasons we swept Memphis, is 28 yrs old, is 6'11", and is an above average defender? This isn't a bad price. He's not Joakim Noah or Even Brook Lopez, but he's making a good deal less than them. He's still making less than Javale McGee the headcase, the human disabled list Andrew Bogut is making $15 mil this season. Most comparable players making less are younger and are in their rookie deals.
Old 07-02-13, 04:35 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Also, the 4yr deal allows the Spurs to reserve their 5yr extension for Kawhi.
Old 07-02-13, 04:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Once again I am skeptical as to the rumor. First off, wouldn't the first order of business be to settle out Manu's contract and second, when was the last time you knew about the terms of a Spurs contract before it was even signed, let alone days after?
Old 07-02-13, 04:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Once again I am skeptical as to the rumor. First off, wouldn't the first order of business be to settle out Manu's contract and second, when was the last time you knew about the terms of a Spurs contract before it was even signed, let alone days after?
From what I've read, Manu's basically waiting to see what the Spurs can offer him. He's being a team player and letting the Spurs construct a quality roster first, then worrying about his own salary second.

Plus, the guy got $14 million last year. He can play for an exception-level salary, he ain't hurting.
Old 07-02-13, 04:38 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Woj is batting around 1.000 these days, probably has best sources in league.
Old 07-02-13, 04:40 PM

Quote:
ESPN is reporting it. That means its true. :sarcasm
Old 07-02-13, 04:41 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Don't be surprised if AK47 still gets courted. They'll have cash left after the Manu signing, and AK is at the point of his career where he's still effective and may take less money for a shot at a deep playoff run.
Old 07-02-13, 04:41 PM
SR Team Goof

Here's Yahooo's website article and link to support the twitter msgs. There's a disparity between the story content vs website url info concerning contract length/amount. I hope in the end its all bogus. -- alh1020

Spurs finalizing $36 million deal with Tiago Splitter

The San Antonio Spurs are finalizing a four-year, $36 million-plus contract extension for center Tiago Splitter, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Splitter, 28, developed into an important part of the Spurs' run to the NBA Finals and had significant interest around the league as a restricted free agent.

Portland had strongly considered signing Splitter to an offer sheet near the $9 million salary that Spurs paid, but Splitter's representatives and San Antonio worked out most of the details of an agreement on Monday night and into Tuesday, sources said.

Splitter averaged 10.5 points and 6.4 rebounds for the Spurs, and will be an important part of the franchise's eventual transition beyond Tim Duncan. The Spurs drafted the Brazilian with the 28th pick in 2007.

The Spurs will turn their attention to re-signing two more of their own free agents, Manu Ginobili and Gary Neal.

Link: Y! SPORTS
Old 07-02-13, 04:43 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuspence281 View Post
ESPN is reporting it. That means its true. :sarcasm
They're taking it from Adrian Wojnarowski from Yahoo, he's the most impeachable nba writer around right now. He's about the only writer who can be trusted.
Old 07-02-13, 04:44 PM

I have no doubt his report is true hence why i posted it.
Old 07-02-13, 04:45 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Any of the Spurs FA have a cap hold. The order in which you address them doesn't matter, as long as they are all handled before July 10th. And, as the Spurs have Bird rights on Manu/Splitter/Neal, they can go as far over the cap as they want to sign them.

It could be that the Spurs/Manu have an agreement-in-principle. Both are happy with $XM/year. Go worry about the younger guys who may walk.

Who's to say that the Spurs leaked any of the info? It may have all been Splitter's representation. Don't bother us, we're good. And maybe they have other FAs they want to take care of, and wanted the market set. I have no idea (nor inclination to verify) the validity of that last point.
Old 07-02-13, 04:53 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Splitter is getting paid the same amount of money as David West to pay one more year than David West and splitter is in his prime and West is in his 30s after having injury issues. This is a good deal for the Spurs.
Old 07-02-13, 04:55 PM
SR Team Goof

I am afraid when all the smoke and dust clears and the Spurs finish their bidding and resign Neal, Splitter and Manu, the team will enter training camp this fall with essentially the same team they finished with for the 2012-2013 season, minus Blair and McGrady. Who knows, the Spurs may have enough pocket change left to invite TMac back with a slight pay raise. I think I'm about to be sick.
Old 07-02-13, 04:58 PM

I'm sure the spurs might rather have Dwight Howard, but it's not exactly on the table. Just like us guys maybe would rather have married a supermodel, but that Wasn't exactly an option.
Old 07-02-13, 05:32 PM
SpursReport Rookie

It is true that Tiago had a part in the Memphis series, but if Westbrook never suffered that injury we could have been facing the Thunder. We all know how he fared against them the year before. I understand the value of a decent big in the league, but the Spurs really shouldn't fear breaking the bank in the next two years at a chance to bring home a ring. I don't think they will come close to sniffing one after Tim retires. Of course this is all easy for me to say since it isn't coming out of my pockets.
Old 07-02-13, 05:39 PM

We also know how Danny Green and Tiago and Gary Neal fared against Memphis the year before. Based on that sample size, we would have been out of the playoffs again this year.

Our players have matured and gotten better.

Maybe we would have beaten Oklahoma City, maybe not. Kendrick Perkins was a year older and not very effective. Kevin Martin is no james harden.

And I repeat: you can't just say you would have gotten better instead of sit standing pat. Name a move that this front office could have done. One that would get us a better player without leaving gaps in our lineup and not costing us more money. The simple fact is that While we did and still do have some room to maneuver, you can't make guys come here who are free agents, and you can't make other teams send their players over here just because you think the deal is good for them. Rather than whine about paying splitter 9 million a year, rejoice that we are not Indiana paying a guy In his mid-30s 12 million a year.
Old 07-02-13, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUTH View Post
It is true that Tiago had a part in the Memphis series, but if Westbrook never suffered that injury we could have been facing the Thunder. We all know how he fared against them the year before. I understand the value of a decent big in the league, but the Spurs really shouldn't fear breaking the bank in the next two years at a chance to bring home a ring. I don't think they will come close to sniffing one after Tim retires. Of course this is all easy for me to say since it isn't coming out of my pockets.
I don't think they're afraid of breaking the bank. I just think it's an issue that we didn't have enough Space to go out and get anybody that great. Face it, you would have to pay white Howard or Josh Smith over twice what splitter will be getting.

If we had been able to get rid of Bonner, which I'm sure they were probably trying to do, and if Boris had not opted into his contract, or Patty Mills had not opted into his contract, then we would have options and space. But our space was very limited to begin with. So I think they did the best they could.
Old 07-02-13, 07:03 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Bonner can still be amnestied, by not cutting him before they were just guaranteeing him the 3 million. If they had cut him it would have been $!M, with the amnesty they can pay him the $3 Mil (he has good standing in the organization) and not have it affect the cap.
Old 07-02-13, 07:58 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Splitter is no chump. Just needs a few tweaks here and there. He has the potential and he's only in his 3rd season! C'mon guys give this man a break! Good move in resigning him!!! Splitter baby!!!!!
Old 07-02-13, 08:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Can we amnesty his contract before he signs it?
Old 07-02-13, 08:27 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcantgetright View Post
Can we amnesty his contract before he signs it?
No.