News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-13, 08:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

These moves pretty much mean the Spurs are bringing back the team that had the best regular season record for two years, was third this year and probably would have been 1 again last year but for late season injuries. Made the conference finals last year and was one rebound away from a title this year. I've got no problem with that.

Keep in mind that if the Spurs go under the cap to sign free agents, they will have a reduced MLE and Bi-annual exception to use to bring in more players. By staying over the cap, they can have a $71M roster next year (i.e. right at the tax line) as opposed to a $65M roster. This is important because the Spurs window for championship is at most 2 years if not 1.

Last edited by b1gdon; 07-02-13 at 08:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-02-13, 08:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post

Keep in mind that if the Spurs go under the cap to sign free agents, they will have a reduced MLE and Bi-annual exception to use to bring in more players. By staying over the cap, they can have a $71M roster next year (i.e. right at the tax line) as opposed to a $65M roster. This is important because the Spurs window for championship is at most 2 years if not 1.
So which is better for the Spurs? Over or under the cap?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-02-13, 08:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom32x4 View Post
Let's see, a big man who played 81 regular season games, was one of the main reasons we swept Memphis, is 28 yrs old, is 6'11", and is an above average defender? This isn't a bad price. He's not Joakim Noah or Even Brook Lopez, but he's making a good deal less than them. He's still making less than Javale McGee the headcase, the human disabled list Andrew Bogut is making $15 mil this season. Most comparable players making less are younger and are in their rookie deals.
Quote:
Also, the 4yr deal allows the Spurs to reserve their 5yr extension for Kawhi.
Quote:
Don't be surprised if AK47 still gets courted. They'll have cash left after the Manu signing, and AK is at the point of his career where he's still effective and may take less money for a shot at a deep playoff run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Splitter is getting paid the same amount of money as David West to pay one more year than David West and splitter is in his prime and West is in his 30s after having injury issues. This is a good deal for the Spurs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
We also know how Danny Green and Tiago and Gary Neal fared against Memphis the year before. Based on that sample size, we would have been out of the playoffs again this year.

Our players have matured and gotten better.

Maybe we would have beaten Oklahoma City, maybe not. Kendrick Perkins was a year older and not very effective. Kevin Martin is no james harden.

And I repeat: you can't just say you would have gotten better instead of sit standing pat. Name a move that this front office could have done. One that would get us a better player without leaving gaps in our lineup and not costing us more money. The simple fact is that While we did and still do have some room to maneuver, you can't make guys come here who are free agents, and you can't make other teams send their players over here just because you think the deal is good for them. Rather than whine about paying splitter 9 million a year, rejoice that we are not Indiana paying a guy In his mid-30s 12 million a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spur4ever View Post
Splitter is no chump. Just needs a few tweaks here and there. He has the potential and he's only in his 3rd season! C'mon guys give this man a break! Good move in resigning him!!! Splitter baby!!!!!
I am starting to get over the finals loss and agree that this is a good deal.

If we can still get a guy like Kirilenko. . . . . . . It becomes an awesome deal.
Old 07-02-13, 08:57 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The Lebron James block on Tiago's dunk attempt should've been enough to NOT bring him back!!!

Last edited by bkp65; 07-02-13 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-02-13, 09:22 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkp65 View Post
The Lebron James block on Tiago's dunk attempt should've been enough to NOT bring him back!!!
What about LeBrons block of Duncan in game 6? Holy crap people make too much out of one freaking play. Green blocked LeBron like 3 times on breaks, oh wow.
Old 07-02-13, 09:42 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The point I am making is that one play pretty much sums up Splitter's career so far. Slow, uncoordinated, no offense, no toughness, big man!! Also, please don't compare Lebrons game with Splitters game..

Last edited by bkp65; 07-02-13 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-02-13, 11:35 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkp65 View Post
The point I am making is that one play pretty much sums up Splitter's career so far. Slow, uncoordinated, no offense, no toughness, big man!! Also, please don't compare Lebrons game with Splitters game..
Ummm...I didn't compare their games, I'm just mentioning that Green's plays on LeBron were much more impressive than LeBron's play on Splitter. BTW, that slow uncoordinated player is quicker than Duncan now, hence his usefulness defending the pick and roll. He was basically the sole reason the Spurs were as good as they were throughout the season despite injuries and Duncan's continuing decline of minutes if not effeciency. Splitter is one of the few true bigs in the league able to run a competent pick and roll, especially available affordable big men. I mean, we could afford a 6'8" big...but I'd rather not.
Old 07-03-13, 01:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I like that deal. Yes I would like if it was 4 years 32M but the market forces you to pay more.

I've a question to the guys who is angry with that deal: Can you tell the name of the best big man who fit next to Duncan since 2003 D-Rob's retirement? Yes guys, we couldn't find a good partner in last 10 years, only Oberto and Horry were the capable ones until Splitter grows.

Splitter is a good fit for our system. We don't have the lucury to take another risk, since our window is closing. We're going to content this and maybe next year(Due to Duncan and Manu), we can't make new experiments. With Howard is not coming and David West is staying his own team, the only viable options are bad defender Al-Jeff and undersized Millsap and none of them will accept less money than Splitter.
Old 07-03-13, 01:39 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
I've a question to the guys who is angry with that deal: Can you tell the name of the best big man who fit next to Duncan since 2003 D-Rob's retirement? Yes guys, we couldn't find a good partner in last 10 years, only Oberto and Horry were the capable ones until Splitter grows.
I don't think that's a fair assessment. Duncan was still the centerpiece of the Spurs in the Horry and Oberto championship runs. He was still dominant enough not to need an impact player behind him and carried most of the load for the team. Now that he isn't that dominant force, he needs someone to help with his deficiencies in the paint. Splitter is a decent player, but the Spurs still need a bigger defensive presence alongside Duncan. I'm not angry about the deal, just really hope that there's more to come.
Old 07-03-13, 02:08 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUTH View Post
I don't think that's a fair assessment. Duncan was still the centerpiece of the Spurs in the Horry and Oberto championship runs. He was still dominant enough not to need an impact player behind him and carried most of the load for the team. Now that he isn't that dominant force, he needs someone to help with his deficiencies in the paint. Splitter is a decent player, but the Spurs still need a bigger defensive presence alongside Duncan. I'm not angry about the deal, just really hope that there's more to come.
I agree, Duncan needs help. But there are not too many options in market. If you're going to bring Millsap or Al-Jeff, you're going to force Duncan to defend the best big man of your opponent. Duncan's feet are not fast as 10 years ago and you need to bring a guy who can defend the pick&roll. Millsap is not that kind of guy and Al-Jeff is worse. Josh Smith? He's just a better and much expensive version of Millsap.

So what was the candidate of you in that spot?
Old 07-03-13, 03:29 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
I agree, Duncan needs help. But there are not too many options in market. If you're going to bring Millsap or Al-Jeff, you're going to force Duncan to defend the best big man of your opponent. Duncan's feet are not fast as 10 years ago and you need to bring a guy who can defend the pick&roll. Millsap is not that kind of guy and Al-Jeff is worse. Josh Smith? He's just a better and much expensive version of Millsap.

So what was the candidate of you in that spot?
I'm not suggesting a top tier guy since most of them wouldn't consider coming to San Antonio. Here is a list of guys that are free agents or have an expiring contract. I'm not sure what the situations are with these guys, but they are just suggestions of what I would like to see next to TD (some of these guys can come off the bench).
  • Nikola Pekovic - One of the strongest and meanest dudes in the league averaging 16 & 9 last season
  • Marcin Gortat - Also tough inside and rebounds/blocks shots well
  • JJ Hickson - Mobile and active on the glass
  • Jermaine O'Neal - Not as mobile, but still averaged 1.4 blocks/gm in 18 min
  • Robin Lopez - Showed a lot of improvement with more playing time averaging 1.6 blocks/gm
  • Chris Kaman - Legit 7 footer and still can contribute
  • Marcus Camby - Can still block a shot
  • Emeka Okafur - Would be great next to TD, drawback is his huge expiring contract of $14 mill
  • Andrew Bogut - Also has a huge expiring contract of $14 mill and would also look great next to TD (when healthy)
  • Omer Asik - Physical dude and can rebound well, has a huge check next season for nearly $15 mill

Just a few names I came up with. Doubt the Spurs will swallow those huge contracts. I feel that this list of guys can help our interior defense in some capacity.
Old 07-03-13, 03:43 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I'm not suggesting a top tier guy since most of them wouldn't consider coming to San Antonio. Here is a list of guys that are free agents or have an expiring contract. I'm not sure what the situations are with these guys, but they are just suggestions of what I would like to see next to TD (some of these guys can come off the bench).
  • Nikola Pekovic - One of the strongest and meanest dudes in the league averaging 16 & 9 last season
  • Marcin Gortat - Also tough inside and rebounds/blocks shots well
  • JJ Hickson - Mobile and active on the glass
  • Jermaine O'Neal - Not as mobile, but still averaged 1.4 blocks/gm in 18 min
  • Robin Lopez - Showed a lot of improvement with more playing time averaging 1.6 blocks/gm
  • Chris Kaman - Legit 7 footer and still can contribute
  • Marcus Camby - Can still block a shot
  • Emeka Okafur - Would be great next to TD, drawback is his huge expiring contract of $14 mill
  • Andrew Bogut - Also has a huge expiring contract of $14 mill and would also look great next to TD (when healthy)
  • Omer Asik - Physical dude and can rebound well, has a huge check next season for nearly $15 mill
Just a few names I came up with. Doubt the Spurs will swallow those huge contracts. I feel that this list of guys can help our interior defense in some capacity.
Thanks for names, let's anaylze all of them:
  • Nikola Pekovic: He''s gonna sign 4 years 52M at least.
  • Marcin Gortat: He's not free agent and Suns don't want to send him till the trade deadline. (If you add Green to package, you can change their minds)
  • JJ Hickson: Love this guy. But low BB IQ and he's gonna want at least 4 years 32M.
  • Jermaine O'Neal: Remember Antonio McDyess? We don't need block, we need pick&roll defense.
  • Robin Lopez: He's not a free-agent. We don't know what Pelicans want in a trade.
  • Chris Kaman: Yes I like him. But his defense, injuries and wishes are questionable.
  • Emeka Okafor: He's not free agent and what will we offer for him?
  • Marcus Camby: He's slow as a turtle and couldn't play even in New York when Amare was out.
  • Andrew Bogut: Same Okafor. (He's not free agent and what will we offer for him?)
  • Omer Asik: Houston wouldn't send him to us.
There is not too many option in the market and we don't have enough and attractive trade assets. Our first round pick will not be over 25, Bonner and Diaw are not attacractive enough to get an expiring contract.
Old 07-03-13, 04:01 AM
SpursReport Rookie

All these suggestions were in my head before the Tiago signing with the idea that we can use Splitter as a trading chip. Now that he will be signing, it doesn't give the Spurs much leverage to do much of anything. Who knows? Stranger things have happened.
Old 07-03-13, 05:46 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
All these suggestions were in my head before the Tiago signing with the idea that we can use Splitter as a trading chip. Now that he will be signing, it doesn't give the Spurs much leverage to do much of anything. Who knows? Stranger things have happened.
It's not easy to send Splitter in exchange of a center. If a team needs a center, they don't send their owns. If they don't, they wouldn't want Splitter. That's why you should add another chip to make trade and there is nobody except Green in our roster. And if we're going to send Splitter and green, we should get a very very good center. Not Gortat, Bogut etc.
Old 07-03-13, 10:55 AM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
It's not easy to send Splitter in exchange of a center. If a team needs a center, they don't send their owns. If they don't, they wouldn't want Splitter. That's why you should add another chip to make trade and there is nobody except Green in our roster. And if we're going to send Splitter and green, we should get a very very good center. Not Gortat, Bogut etc.
I think people on this forum sometimes greatly overrate the Spurs' assets. Green has a friendly contract, but no team would send us a top tier center for those two. Kawhi would be the only non Parker piece that would garner a top player. The only top centers in the league I can think of offhand are Noah, Hibbert, Howard, Brook Lopez, healthy Bynum, Anthony Davis (potential). Besides Bynum's horrible reputation and injury history, all of these guys are near-max quality right now. BTW, Tiago seems to be decently durable, unlike Chandler, Bynum, or Bogut

Last edited by doom32x4; 07-03-13 at 04:44 PM. Reason: took out extra bogut and added bynum at end