News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-01-13, 02:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

AK-47

Apparently Marc Stein is reporting we're after Andei Kirlenko
Per his twitter; "Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine

One of the teams that troubles Minnesota in Wolves' bid to retain Andrei Kirilenko: San Antonio. I'm told Spurs have AK-47 in their sights"

He declined a $10M option, so have to think he'd have accept half of that to play here if possible

- Confucius
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-13, 02:25 PM
SpursReport Rookie

holy crap, it would be AMAZING to have AK-47 as a Spur!!! (at the right price, of course)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-13, 02:37 PM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

Maybe 6 years ago...
Old 07-01-13, 02:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yeah, it's going to be interesting how these type of signings workout for the rest of the team (i.e. Splitter, Manu, Bonner and Neal). If a player like him or Ellis is signed, I could easily see Spurs trade/amnesty Bonner, renounce Neal... etc. to make more space.
Old 07-01-13, 02:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think Neal is done as a spur so him leaving will not break any hearts, mine at least. Won't miss his terrible defensive rotations. Amnestying Bonner or trading him would be great. When is the last day to amnesty players?

- Confucius
Old 07-01-13, 02:56 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuspence281 View Post
Maybe 6 years ago...
That's the Spurs way, free agents who are at the end of their careers, can't play like they used to and want to try and get a ring.

Sometimes it work out sometimes it doesn't
Old 07-01-13, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
That's the Spurs way, free agents who are at the end of their careers, can't play like they used to and want to try and get a ring.

Sometimes it work out sometimes it doesn't
I wouldn't mind him as long as he comes cheap enough to where we can still make some other moves. I dont know that us just staying pat and adding kirilenko all of a sudden gets us over the hump.

Ive always liked him as a player and enjoyed his game but he seems to have dropped off considerably since his better days in Utah.
Old 07-01-13, 03:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I wouldn't mind him as long as he comes cheap enough to where we can still make some other moves. I dont know that us just staying pat and adding kirilenko all of a sudden gets us over the hump.

Ive always liked him as a player and enjoyed his game but he seems to have dropped off considerably since his better days in Utah.
Yeah I agree. Not sure how much he would be looking for especially since he just turned down 10 mill... . For another two years or so... three max at a reasonable rate, he would be a very nice bench/small ball option to come in at SF/PF.
Old 07-01-13, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod View Post
Yeah I agree. Not sure how much he would be looking for especially since he just turned down 10 mill... . For another two years or so... three max at a reasonable rate, he would be a very nice bench/small ball option to come in at SF/PF.
He could help if teams try to play small ball if he still has the quickness. I think hes always been a pretty decent shot blocker with his lanky arms.
Old 07-01-13, 04:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

He cant spread the floor...and I don't think he would be what we want at the end of a game: someone the defender can double off of.
Old 07-01-13, 04:16 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Smart player who prospered by taking a year off to play back at home. Seems to have gotten some of his fire back. He's just the kind of player Pop uses better than anyone.
Old 07-01-13, 05:18 PM

He also spends a lot of time being injured. He's only managed to play more than 70 games once since 2004 and he missed 18 games last year.

Enough already with brittle, end of career guys, the Spurs have plenty enough of those.
Old 07-01-13, 05:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
I think Neal is done as a spur so him leaving will not break any hearts, mine at least. Won't miss his terrible defensive rotations. Amnestying Bonner or trading him would be great. When is the last day to amnesty players?
You don't extend qualifying offers to players you aren't interested in keeping.

NBA free agency: Spurs extend qualifying offers to Tiago Splitter, Gary Neal - SBNation.com
Old 07-01-13, 05:31 PM
SR Team Goof

Interesting option. Kirlenko is a versatile 6'9" who can play the SF/PF positions, can rebound pretty good for his stick frame and this is what Pop likes, can play defense. But the difference in his weight vs those who he guards at that height gives me pause. Pop seems to favor the older vets on their last legs as they mesh pretty good to his coaching. If he'll take a large salary cut from his $10 mil last year, again, interesting option.
Old 07-01-13, 05:35 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Have to agree. Neal's 3-point shooting and instant offense is tough to let walk away, particularly if Neal likes the Spurs organization and what they stand for and will accept the 'cheap' salary increase. His defense leaves a lot to be desired but if he's looking for a big payday, he'll have to find it outside of the SA city limits.
Old 07-01-13, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Agreed, and for the most part Neal's been quietly consistent for the Spurs, hope we can keep him around.
Old 07-01-13, 08:27 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

NBA free agency: Spurs extend qualifying offers to Tiago Splitter, Gary Neal - SBNation.com
Not really.

You don't extend a qualifying offer to a player you don't want to lose for a reasonable price.
Old 07-01-13, 08:40 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

keeping the same team and adding AK47 in place of capt jack... is enough????
Old 07-01-13, 08:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
keeping the same team and adding AK47 in place of capt jack... is enough????

No it is not. One way or another, we need a legit back up to TP
Old 07-01-13, 08:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

AK47 , He is like 75 years old isn't he?
Old 07-01-13, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
AK47 , He is like 75 years old isn't he?
32 I believe
Old 07-01-13, 09:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Have to agree. Neal's 3-point shooting and instant offense is tough to let walk away, particularly if Neal likes the Spurs organization and what they stand for and will accept the 'cheap' salary increase. His defense leaves a lot to be desired but if he's looking for a big payday, he'll have to find it outside of the SA city limits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Agreed, and for the most part Neal's been quietly consistent for the Spurs, hope we can keep him around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Not really.

You don't extend a qualifying offer to a player you don't want to lose for a reasonable price.
I think Neal suffered from plantar fasciitis all season which is why he regresses from 2012. I would like to see us re sign him. It is hard to find cold blooded shooters like Neil.

Remember when Timmy had that?
Old 07-01-13, 10:25 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
I think Neal suffered from plantar fasciitis all season which is why he regresses from 2012. I would like to see us re sign him. It is hard to find cold blooded shooters like Neil.

Remember when Timmy had that?
Great point, 21 averaged like 14ppg game that year or something, everybody though he was done.
Old 07-02-13, 03:48 AM
SpursReport Team Member

He's just 32 right now.

He's an all-around player and can fit Spurs system very wll. The only disadvantage is his terrible 3 points.

He opted out from 10M contract. There may be two reasons:
- He's looking a good last contract in long terms3 years 21M)
- He's looking to play in a winning team. Then he may accept 3 years 14M contract or like that.
Old 07-03-13, 02:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Any chance we could do a sign and trade involving Neal and bonner to snag him?

- Confucius
Old 07-03-13, 02:50 PM

Im no trade/cap space master but wouldnt bonner and neal only be worth about $4-5m? So AK would have to sign a contract for only that much right? Even after just turning down $10m from Minnesota..?
Old 07-03-13, 03:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Im no trade/cap space master but wouldnt bonner and neal only be worth about $4-5m? So AK would have to sign a contract for only that much right? Even after just turning down $10m from Minnesota..?
I would think the general consensus is that he'd accept less to play here and I find it hard to believe Neal only signs for $1-2M. Remember he's a free agent so in that sense, Neal can be signed to make up whatever the difference between what AK-47 signs on for and Bonners expiring contract

- Confucius
Old 07-03-13, 05:05 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
I would think the general consensus is that he'd accept less to play here and I find it hard to believe Neal only signs for $1-2M. Remember he's a free agent so in that sense, Neal can be signed to make up whatever the difference between what AK-47 signs on for and Bonners expiring contract
Quote:
Jeff McDonald says AK wants years. He posited a 3-4 year deal starting at MLE and backloading to around 7-8mil