News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-30-13, 07:23 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs Interested in Monta Ellis?

According to Yahoo Sports. The Spurs are one team that could pursue Ellis once Free Agency opens. Your Thoughts?

Could Spurs make a run at Monta Ellis?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-13, 07:33 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

It's the start of free agency. The Spurs and 28 other teams are interested in him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-13, 07:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Too damn short! His price tag will be out of control. He opted out of a huge payday...not coming here for pennies and doesn't seem like a guy how will take a paycut for the betterment of a team. He opted out to get the hell out of Milwaukee and to make 10-12 million for 4 years. Give me Evans all day everyday,restricted or not. Plus if we retain Tiago, I like Evans skill set and size over Ellis'.
Old 07-01-13, 01:40 AM
SR Team Goof

I like his offensive game but as Jonesy pointed out above, he comes with a big price tag. Let's do some window shopping for now.
Old 07-01-13, 01:51 AM
The Master Baiter

He'll be too much money, but it makes sense. He can score in bunches and put pressure on the defense.
Old 07-01-13, 03:22 AM
SpursReport Team Member

What an upgrade of Neal.

I don't know we need him or not.
What is our FO thinking?
Replace him in starting line-up instead of Green?
Bring him from bench like Manu?
What will happen to Manu then?

I'm pretty happy with Parker-Green-Leonard-Duncan core. If we're going to seal free-agency and pay big money, we should search for a center. Why do not we try Howard-Al Jefferson-David West? Or Andrew Bynum with a long contract which includes team option in 2nd year?

I didn't like Ellis move honestly. We can bring Jarrett Jack much less money and get similar role in our roster.
Old 07-01-13, 08:53 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

He is a career 19/5/4 guys....

Yes it's not your typical Spur player but let's kick the tires first...

Nobody know how much contracts are gonna be given out with the new CBA....so maybe you can get him in a cheap fashion buy amnesty Bonner and still getting Splitter and Gino and losing Neal.
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 07-01-13, 11:49 AM
SpursReport Rookie

He's exactly what the Spurs need. An offensive threat who can create his own shot off the dribble. Watch Game 6 and Game 7 of the Finals and pay close attention to Gary Neal and Danny Green's abilities in this area.

The NBA is morphing into a scoring league. We don't necessarily need three 7 footers to win a title.
Old 07-01-13, 12:41 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
He's exactly what the Spurs need. An offensive threat who can create his own shot off the dribble. Watch Game 6 and Game 7 of the Finals and pay close attention to Gary Neal and Danny Green's abilities in this area.

The NBA is morphing into a scoring league. We don't necessarily need three 7 footers to win a title.
Roy Hibbert says you Hello.

I'm not against that we need a guy who can score in that stretch. But I'm telling that Jarrett Jack would be much cheaper solution for our trouble. Jack proved that he can do very well in the play-offs especially against us. So why should we pay 12M per year instead of 6M to a guy who can create his own shoot?

Last edited by tuncaboylu; 07-01-13 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-01-13, 01:07 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Ellis would be hard to guard with TP.
Old 07-01-13, 02:11 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I wouldn't be against Jack. How much do you think he will command though? Don't you think he might get an $8 Million offer? I think the Spurs would want to keep any offer at 3 years for any of these guys.

I think we'll have to just see what the market dictates. Both guys would seem that they would be able to run the point. Signing either would mean the end of Gary Neal - but honestly - I wouldn't cry over losing him.

It will also come down to the individual player. Coming to the Spurs system means you have to at least attempt to play defense. They both aren't great, but I think Jack is a little better in this regard.
Old 07-01-13, 02:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
I wouldn't be against Jack. How much do you think he will command though? Don't you think he might get an $8 Million offer? I think the Spurs would want to keep any offer at 3 years for any of these guys.

I think we'll have to just see what the market dictates. Both guys would seem that they would be able to run the point. Signing either would mean the end of Gary Neal - but honestly - I wouldn't cry over losing him.

It will also come down to the individual player. Coming to the Spurs system means you have to at least attempt to play defense. They both aren't great, but I think Jack is a little better in this regard.
I wouldnt be crying over neal either. I would like to do a sign a trade involving splitter and neal rather than including Green. I think Neal could demand some attention

- Confucius
Old 07-01-13, 04:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Living in northern California, I've had a lot of opportunities to watch Monta play. I always believed that Monta would have the greatest impact in a role that he would never accept - the 6th man off the bench. We all know what he brings - prolific scoring, ability to drive, and the occasional assist. These are all characteristics of what made Manu so deadly as a 6th man. If he can come to the Spurs accepting this role, it would really solve some of the issues we were having in the finals. The question is if he would set his ego aside to do so. My feelings are that he would be willing to swallow his pride coming into the first real winning environment of his career.
Old 07-01-13, 07:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

[COLOR=#0066cc]Steve Kyler @stevekylerNBA [/COLOR]
RT @elliothoops52: How much water does a Monta Ellis going to the Spurs hold? ---> Not there yet, they have interest and $$
Old 07-01-13, 07:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Monte Have it all and did not opt out of a big contract to test the market and go for a smaller market, smaller contract and potentially a smaller role to get a ring at this point. He will get his first and chase a ring later in his career.
Old 07-01-13, 08:09 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

so, FO is planning make manu starter, and bring monta and green from the bench??
Old 07-02-13, 01:15 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
so, FO is planning make manu starter, and bring monta and green from the bench??
I would start Green over Manu. Monta would take pressure off of Manu as the sole playmaker and attacker on the second unit. Monta would essentially take over Manu's role as 6th man and be the first substitution in every game.
Old 07-03-13, 02:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I can definitely see Ellis coming here with the MLE. Look at espn section

4. What would you offer Monta Ellis?

Coon: Ellis has midlevel exception written all over him. That comes out to four years, $22 million if the team is below the tax line, or three years, $10 million if the team is a taxpayer. My guess is he'll find a team below the tax line.

Elhassan: Three years, $18 million (player option on the third year). Ellis is a high-level scoring guard, but if he's starting, your team isn't going very far. He'd excel as an off-the-bench scorer, provided he accepts that role. Comparables such as J.R. Smith and Jamal Crawford both come to mind, and Ellis' production surpasses them. Still, $6 million per year is all I'd commit to a bench guard.

Han: Three years, $16.5 million. Ellis is the conundrum of free agency: a talented scorer, but also low in efficiency, exactly the stereotype that teams seem to be moving away from. Lou Williams received $5.5 million per year in his contract last offseason, and that feels sensible in this situation.

Sunnergren: Three years, $15 million. In 2012-13, Ellis shot under 29 percent from 3, finished 63rd among qualified point guards in true shooting percentage, 44th in assist-to-turnover ratio, and placed just 11th on his own 38-win team in win shares per 48 minutes. The analytics revolution is here (and it was televised). These are going to be lean years for volume shooters.

Winter: Three years, $16 million. Ellis is a prolific scorer, gifted creator and plays the passing lanes like few others. But he doesn't play basketball in a vacuum, so his inefficiency, overall defensive worth and poor locker room influence matter, too. Monta needs to hit reset on his career in the worst way; his talent alone is worth more than the midlevel exception, let alone a contract so short in length.

NBA What are top NBA free agents worth? - ESPN

- Confucius
Old 07-03-13, 02:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sign and trade bonner and Neal to twelves with ak47 and sign Ellis. Use LLE on Oden

- Confucius