News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-27-13, 09:35 PM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

With the 28th pick the spurs take...

Livio Jean Charles

Stealing the show at the 2013 Nike Hoop Summit, Livio Jean-Charles did more to help himself over the course of the week than any player in attendance, leading to his declaration for the 2013 NBA Draft. The French forward had already generated some buzz among NBA scouts with his consistent play in practice, but exploded for 27 points and 13 rebounds against the USA Junior National Select Team on game day. Both of those totals rank in the top-7 in the 16-year history of the event.

Jean-Charles began the week doing the same things that ultimately led to his historic performance in the game; moving well without the ball, running the floor tirelessly, finishing at the rim, and making the most of his athleticism and 7'2 wingspan by playing with great intensity on both ends of the floor. Standing out in practice with his ability to do a lot of the little things NBA scouts look for in a combo forward, Jean-Charles showed promising potential as a roleplayer.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2XTULS7vt
http://www.draftexpress.com
Old 06-27-13, 09:38 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

I wanted Franklin with this pick but ya gotta trust te spurs FO and their overseas knowledge
Old 06-27-13, 09:40 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think it is safe to assume this pick was not made for Houston.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-27-13, 09:41 PM

Yet another draft and stash that we probably wont ever see
Old 06-27-13, 09:41 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I like this pic. This guy fits really well with his length, athleticism, and shooting. He seems like a really versatile player that would fit in interchangeably with Leonard at the 3/4 positions.

Seems like he has the length to be a good shot blocker.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-27-13, 09:42 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

19 years old and form Parker team in France....
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 06-27-13, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFly View Post
I think it is safe to assume this pick was not made for Houston.
Why not? He is a guy who doesn't have to come over this year.
Old 06-27-13, 09:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Just because I doubt the Rockets had this guy on their radar. Although the fact that he can be stashed for years may be the Spurs attempt to sell it to the Rockets.
Old 06-27-13, 09:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Just because I doubt the Rockets had this guy on their radar. Although the fact that he can be stashed for years may be the Spurs attempt to sell it to the Rockets.
BINGO AMIGO.
Old 06-27-13, 10:01 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

meh
Old 06-27-13, 10:07 PM
SR Team Goof

I'm going to quit trying to match wits with Pop and RC, it's giving me a headache.
Old 06-27-13, 10:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

just maybe we trade our pick to rockets for Thomas Robinson and Isaiah Cannon pg but who really knows...
Old 06-27-13, 10:21 PM

David Aldridge: Livio Jean-Charles likely to stay overseas for at least one year. Twitter

Well, that's certainly a surprise to Spurs fans.
Old 06-27-13, 10:32 PM

From CBS Sports - Matt Moore
Grade D-Spurs select: Livio Jean-Charles, SF, French Guiana
I think they could have gotten him later if they traded down.
Old 06-27-13, 10:34 PM

I could be wrong, and the guys may fix this in free agency, but it just seems like theres a lack of urgency to get some guys that can help immediately.
Old 06-27-13, 10:37 PM

I don't think there's a lack of urgency. I think it's a lack of desperation, which is what you see from most teams. The need to reach and pray for a miracle rather than taking a deep breath and doing the best you can To help the franchise, whether it's someone who is on the roster tomorrow or three years from now.
Old 06-27-13, 10:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
From CBS Sports - Matt Moore
Grade D-Spurs select: Livio Jean-Charles, SF, French Guiana
I think they could have gotten him later if they traded down.
Sounds like Matt Moore needs some tutoring on how NBA money works. Same reason the Mavs were going to draft an international player at 13 if they couldn't find any takers for that pick.
Old 06-27-13, 11:36 PM

Frankly my initial estimation is this guy could play with us right now. Has a jumpshot, he has the length to protect the rim, and his only major issue is he's not strong enough to guard power forwards. So why not have Kawhi Leonard guarding fours and him guarding threes? Play some zone?
Old 06-27-13, 11:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Interesting tweets

@JMcDonald_SAEN: Jean-Charles basically blew up at the Nike Hoops Summit in April. Won MVP. Then didn't work out for any NBA teams. His closing argument.

@JMcDonald_SAEN: Buford said Spurs had Livio Jean-Charles rated as one of the top 20 players in the draft.

@JMcDonald_SAEN: Buford said not to expect Jean-Charles to play for Spurs this season. Beyond that, no timetable.
Old 06-27-13, 11:54 PM

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 2h
Spurs pick of Jean-Charles gives them a player that they can stash overseas next season and spare a roster spot and salary.
Old 06-27-13, 11:55 PM

Jeff McDonald ‏@JMcDonald_SAEN 2m
Worth noting: Buford acknowledged building cap space was part of calculus in selecting draft-and-stash guy.
Old 06-28-13, 12:04 AM

RC Buford's post-draft interview.

Draft Recap: R.C. Buford | video | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS
Old 06-28-13, 12:40 AM
Herman Cain of the board

I think this pick was guy they could have had at the #37-#40 spots. I think they could have traded down. He averaged 1.5 and 3.3 point per the last two seasons. I give them a D- on the draft grade.
Old 06-28-13, 01:08 AM
The Master Baiter

This was a "F### It" pick. I doubt this guy will ever see an NBA court. Same with the second round pick.
Old 06-28-13, 01:14 AM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

We were a rebound away from winning it all, no need for crazy moves in the draft. Come on.
Old 06-28-13, 01:28 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
We were a rebound away from winning it all, no need for crazy moves in the draft. Come on.
This wasn't the draft to make crazy moves. But if you think this same team can get to the Finals again and win, with Manu older, Tim older, Westbrook back in the playoffs, Clippers with a much better coach, Chicago with Rose back, Indiana with Granger back, Brooklyn with KG and Pierce now, and Miami with possibly an uninjured Wade, you're crazy. They've got to get another impact player.
Old 06-28-13, 01:35 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
This wasn't the draft to make crazy moves. But if you think this same team can get to the Finals again and win, with Manu older, Tim older, Westbrook back in the playoffs, Clippers with a much better coach, Chicago with Rose back, Indiana with Granger back, Brooklyn with KG and Pierce now, and Miami with possibly an uninjured Wade, you're crazy. They've got to get another impact player.
And that would be Tyreke Evans!
Old 06-28-13, 03:14 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
The 28th picks doesn't impact in their first years in general.

You're right, we should be stronger to reach the finals next year. Chicago, Brooklyn and Indiana are Miami's trouble, but you're right with OKC, Clippers and our aging stars.

But if we're going to reach the finals again, 28th pick will not help especially in his first season. We will be well under the cap right now and we can sign a very good free-agent in off-season. That will be the impact player for next year, not the 28th pick.

Jean Charles is not an attractive pick for me too, but he's a future project and he will not hold place in our cap.(Since we should not need to sign him this season). That means nearly 1M more cap space for us.

Last edited by tuncaboylu; 06-28-13 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-28-13, 06:03 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
And that impact player would be LaMarcus Aldridge! Or Andre Igudala
Old 06-28-13, 08:55 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
The 28th picks doesn't impact in their first years in general.

You're right, we should be stronger to reach the finals next year. Chicago, Brooklyn and Indiana are Miami's trouble, but you're right with OKC, Clippers and our aging stars.

But if we're going to reach the finals again, 28th pick will not help especially in his first season. We will be well under the cap right now and we can sign a very good free-agent in off-season. That will be the impact player for next year, not the 28th pick.

Jean Charles is not an attractive pick for me too, but he's a future project and he will not hold place in our cap.(Since we should not need to sign him this season). That means nearly 1M more cap space for us.
Oh I know they weren't going to find anybody in the draft. That's why I said this wasn't the draft to get crazy over. I was responding to the notion that the Spurs were only a rebound or a shot away from winning and they shouldn't make many changes. The only reason I mentioned the Eastern Conference teams was because they are potential Finals opponents, if they should get that far.
Old 06-28-13, 11:00 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
I think this pick was guy they could have had at the #37-#40 spots. I think they could have traded down. He averaged 1.5 and 3.3 point per the last two seasons. I give them a D- on the draft grade.
Unless, once again, they couldn't find a taker for a trade. In that case, you take a guy you can stash that won't affect your financial situation. What some of these "experts" seem to forget is that with guaranteed money and the present salary structure of the NBA, a high second round pick is much more desirable than a low first rounder. It's why you generally only see teams trade way out of the back of the first, and not just a few picks down to the early second.
Old 06-28-13, 11:59 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Unless, once again, they couldn't find a taker for a trade. In that case, you take a guy you can stash that won't affect your financial situation. What some of these "experts" seem to forget is that with guaranteed money and the present salary structure of the NBA, a high second round pick is much more desirable than a low first rounder. It's why you generally only see teams trade way out of the back of the first, and not just a few picks down to the early second.
Portland and Memphis had multiple second rounders. I think 3 a piece. I'm sure they tried and the rest of the league too. Toronto didn't have a pick at all. Oh well
Old 06-28-13, 12:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
This was a "F### It" pick. I doubt this guy will ever see an NBA court. Same with the second round pick.
Like others have said, with the current team, cap space is going to be more important since tweaks will be made, not mass changes. With this weak draft, only impact player for this team would be to sign a FA as well as our own FAs (that they want to keep). At the same time, they have a player that was MVP of the NIKE Summit this year (ahead of possible #1 overall pick next year in Wiggins) and could only get better. I am looking forward to July 15th.... to see what the next step will be.
Old 06-28-13, 12:55 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Good Move to save money R.C and the Front Office!

This kid seems like a good promise that may or may not pay off in few years. so Spurs FO did the right move by this pick now.

You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 06-28-13, 01:26 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod View Post
Like others have said, with the current team, cap space is going to be more important since tweaks will be made, not mass changes. With this weak draft, only impact player for this team would be to sign a FA as well as our own FAs (that they want to keep). At the same time, they have a player that was MVP of the NIKE Summit this year (ahead of possible #1 overall pick next year in Wiggins) and could only get better. I am looking forward to July 15th.... to see what the next step will be.
july 10th now.
Old 06-28-13, 08:18 PM

USATODAY Adi Joseph gave the Spurs this evaluation on both picks...

LINK

Quote:
28. San Antonio Spurs: SF Livio Jean-Charles, French Guiana

It's even tougher to grade a pick like this because Jean-Charles is a long-term prospect. He likely won't be playing in the NBA in the next three seasons. Jean-Charles has some potential but is not as touted as Antetokounmpo, the Bucks' pick at No. 15. San Antonio rarely makes mistakes with these types of picks, though, and there's little downside. Grade: B+
Quote:
58. San Antonio Spurs: SF Deshaun Thomas, Ohio State

Thomas was the best player left on the board. He is very skilled and an elite scorer, not unlike No. 1 pick Anthony Bennett, but he's smaller and doesn't fit either forward spot ideally. Still, he's a terrific, proven value pick here. Grade: A

That same writer Adi gave the Spurs an Overall draft grade earlier this morning.

LINK

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO SPURS

New faces: No. 28 SF Livio Jean-Charles, No. 58 SF Deshaun Thomas

The Spurs are better at international scouting than any other team, and Jean-Charles is a product of that system. He likely will stay in France for a few years to develop, but he has enough potential that it's easy to see why the Spurs liked him. Then they went out and got a player who actually outranked Jean-Charles on some draft boards 30 picks later in Thomas. He's ready to play now and could find a nice niche as a corner shooter for the Spurs, if he makes the roster.

Grade: A-

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 06-28-13, 08:32 PM

This a legacy grade now. The Spurs have outsmarted the scouts and pundits for so long that everybody gives them good grades just because they don't think they're smart enough to second guess this FO.
Old 06-29-13, 11:04 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post
USATODAY Adi Joseph gave the Spurs this evaluation on both picks...

LINK

That same writer Adi gave the Spurs an Overall draft grade earlier this morning.

LINK
Thomas may be ready to play for some team but not the Spurs with no defense in his game.
Old 06-29-13, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Thomas may be ready to play for some team but not the Spurs with no defense in his game.
Yep. Agreed.

If and that is big IF he makes the roster.

Now we turn to the Summer League to see Thomas as well as some selected picks of players. And don't be surprised if some of the Summer League (Undrafted talents) might be even better than the drafted ones. Who knows! There might be a diamond in the rough!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 07-03-13, 02:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Give this 19 yr old another year or so to put on 18 pounds and lock him in a gym with a shooting coach for about 3 months so that he can play small forward and the Spurs might have made a great pick.