News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-26-13, 02:03 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Nothing wrong with Danny Green

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-spo...th-danny-green

I would have been so bummed I'd have stayed in my room for two days and not wanted to talk to anyone. I

nstead, Danny Green of the San Antonio Spurs went to a nightclub and congratulated the other side. I can understand that. I can even applaud that. Everybody reacts differently to a loss, or even to two losses at the end of a hard-fought seven-game series for the NBA championship.

I really like the San Antonio Spurs. I've admired them, as an organization and as individuals and for the way they play, for years. It hurt to see them come up short this season, even though I'm also a big fan of Miami Heat coach Erik Spoelstra, who obviously learned enormous amounts about basketball years ago from sitting next to me courtside while I covered Trail Blazers games and he scouted for Portland.

Green stirred a lot of comment — much of it unflattering — for being photographed hugging Miami star LeBron James in that nightclub after Thursday's Game 7. To most Spurs fans, I''m guessing that what happened to their team on the court last week was a crushing blow.

But NBA fans, in particular, need to remember some things: 1. Players hate to lose, too. Even if you don't see that outwardly from them. 2. A lot of times, players deal with losing in different or seemingly unusual or unfathomable ways. 3. Players also are trained as professionals to move on. They've been drilled on this since they were kids. You made a turnover or lost a game? Flush it. There's always the next game, even if in this case it will be some meaningless exhibition game in October. 4. And, frankly, a lot of times players — amazing as it may sound — are not as invested in the outcomes as are their fans. Think about this. Fans tend to eat, sleep and breathe their teams.

Egos and happiness rise and fall with the latest score or finish in the standings. Fans do weird things like paint their bodies in team colors, pay enormous sums of money for tickets, hang team flags outside their houses, ignore their families because the game is on TV, endure huge crowds or long lines just to get a glimpse of their heroes at a public rally, etc., etc., etc. Players go to work (i.e., training, practice, game). Just about every day of their lives. Sure, their egos and emotions are involved, too, but they get paid (most of them very well) for doing this job — and they know they often are judged, as the saying goes, to be only as good as their last game. They learn not to get too high or too low. Otherwise, they'd probably go crazy, because there are lots of highs and lows for them.

Also, a lot of players will be traded or cut. Some might play for six or eight teams in a 10-year span. Loyalty to a city? Which city? Players learn to move on. Most of them will have to move on at some point. 5. Also — and again I find this especially true in the NBA — players know one another, and often hang with one another. It's like a fraternity. They've grown up together, in some cases dating to AAU or high school games. They've been to the same camps and tryouts. Or they've been teammates. They also are union buddies. And there tends to be a respect and a bond among NBA players.

They're all part of the same club, in a greater sense. It's a pretty exclusive club. That's why you see players talking or laughing with one another during pre-game warmups, or embracing after a game — while, you the fan, are hating on the opposing player who just beat your team with a 20-footer at the buzzer and looking for your voodoo doll and pins to make sure that guy never does that again.

6. So, I find it totally natural that a young player such as Green would not only be out on the town after a game but also would take a moment to congratulate King James. It's the NBA brotherhood thing to do. And, from one perspective, I also think it's healthy. And a classy thing to do. I doubt that it was entirely easy for Green, either. It isn't always easy to tip your hat to someone who's just beat you. It doesn't mean, either, that Green won't try his best to beat Miami the next time. There's no reason to get carried away with the old us-versus-them, hate-the-guys-in-the-other-color-jerseys mentality. On the court, during those 48-plus minutes, is where that attitude belongs, if you want to go there. But not after hours, in a nightclub. It is, after all, just a game. Granted, that was a big, big game Thursday night. But what Danny Green did after it was a little, little deal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-26-13, 03:02 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Agreed. I would also like to apply the theory that in life, in general, it matters most what you do after. Whether it be after a loss, victory, or not being present at all. Green chose to be in the same location as the Heat and congratulate them. It is no question that all eyes will be on Green because of his choice after the loss and even more so because of his performance in the championship series. The real moment of character will come down to what Green does after the gracious congrats to his opponents. I for one do not take his choice after game seven as an indicator of anything else other than that he is worth continued to be followed to see what he does next ON THE COURT. Nothing less. Nothing more.

Last edited by SPURSGIRL4Life; 06-26-13 at 03:07 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-26-13, 08:29 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Exactly. It's just a game. He worked hard and he deserve a break. And I have no doubt seeing them celebrate will motivate him to work harder.
Old 06-26-13, 09:29 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Sorry....cant agree with you guys.

You can say congrats right after the series ends on the court to the Heat.

No need to go out to a club ....let alone where Lebron and the Heat are.

After a really heart-breaking 7 game series in which you loss and played really bad the last two games you should not be out in a club...Im sorry thats just the way I feel.

And what happen to the huge rumor he was sick before game 7? Sick for the game but good enough to go out at 3 am to a club....

I like Danny....have even met him in person...great guy!

But you just dont go to a club when most Spurs fans are so upset over a loss they could not even sleep.

...sorry cant give him a pass on that.
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 06-26-13, 09:46 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS View Post
Sorry....cant agree with you guys.

You can say congrats right after the series ends on the court to the Heat.

No need to go out to a club ....let alone where Lebron and the Heat are.

After a really heart-breaking 7 game series in which you loss and played really bad the last two games you should not be out in a club...Im sorry thats just the way I feel.

And what happen to the huge rumor he was sick before game 7? Sick for the game but good enough to go out at 3 am to a club....

I like Danny....have even met him in person...great guy!

But you just dont go to a club when most Spurs fans are so upset over a loss they could not even sleep.

...sorry cant give him a pass on that.
Haha you just expect everyone to go home all the time during playoffs/finals? Aren't you the one that said "pass" on JR Smith because he was out with Rhianna until 3am? Lame. These guysare young and have lots of money. I'd be going out too. Who cares about the fans at that point? Just because there are fans of the team you play on doesn't mean you have to go home and be tucked in by midnight. These are grownass men!
Old 06-26-13, 10:22 AM

Yes I said that about JR Smith... JR Smith would not last a minute on the Spurs with the way he is...

Was any other player from the Spurs out that night?

He has any night in the year to go out and party...but after a long series in which we choked away a championship I just think the right thing is to not worry about a club that night....

I am not saying that I am right...thats my feeling on the matter, and from the response on twitter I am not alone in this feeling.

Danny got so much "heat" no pun intended....that he actually had to address it on his twitter...

If you guys think its cool thats fine.... I just think that if you are feeling hurt after a big loss and go out to any kind of club or party its sending a wrong message...if you seen his quotes after the loss in the locker room there is no way he seemed ready to party..and thats how you come off like a fake.
Old 06-26-13, 10:24 AM
Spartan Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezsr View Post
Haha you just expect everyone to go home all the time during playoffs/finals? Aren't you the one that said "pass" on JR Smith because he was out with Rhianna until 3am? Lame. These guysare young and have lots of money. I'd be going out too. Who cares about the fans at that point? Just because there are fans of the team you play on doesn't mean you have to go home and be tucked in by midnight. These are grownass men!
Yeah I agree here. The season is over - why can't he go out?

Old 06-26-13, 10:58 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Worry about things you can change not things that are history.
Old 06-26-13, 12:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robofuzz View Post
Yeah I agree here. The season is over - why can't he go out?
If a close family member died, would your first reaction be to party? After all they are already dead right?
Old 06-26-13, 01:38 PM

Did anyone see his quotes after the loss?

Im taking them out of context cause i dont have them in front of me...

But he was saying how he felt he let Gino and Tim down...

How he hoped that they would give it one more year...

How upset he was that they had a chance and let it slip away...

Yea...I would be up to go out drinking and go see the Heat party like Champs too!!!!

Give me a break...Actions speak louder then words...
Old 06-26-13, 02:10 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
If a close family member died, would your first reaction be to party? After all they are already dead right?
This is a horrible comparison, there is no comparison between death and losing a basketball GAME.
Old 06-26-13, 02:37 PM
The Master Baiter

Ok, it's stupid to think that a player can't go out after the finals. It would be the equivalent of one of us going to the bar after a bad day at work, or getting fired, or getting into an argument with your spouse, etc. It's called life. And I would bet real money that other Spurs went out that night too, they didn't leave until the next day, and just were not stupid enough to be seen by cameras.

I also agree with doom, scarlet's comparison is a really bad one.
Old 06-26-13, 02:47 PM
SR Team Goof

I guess I’m going to add my two cents worth. What Danny Green does on “his free time” is his business. This occurred after the last game of the season --- season’s over! We don’t know what went on in the locker room after the game or what Pop and the coaching staff relayed to the players. For all we know Pop could have said “if you want to blow off steam, do whatever you feel is comfortable for you. If you want to hit the strip before we fly out, go for it. Our flight back to SA is wheels up in XX hours.” This was Green’s first NBA finals experience and after what he did up to the 7th game, for a guy of his experience, having established an NBA record for 3-pointers in a series, amazing. The shear magnitude of the event would have me barfing before each game after that. And after the last second clicked off the clock in game 7, I didn’t see what Green did afterwards regarding congratulating the Heat players, there was a crowd out there and maybe Green headed for the locker room or something. Who cares. Maybe it’s a Tar Heel tradition to get a beer and a shot after each game, again, who knows, who cares. And Green just happened to go into the same bar that the Heat players happened to be in, so what, he’s of age. And maybe this was his only opportunity to really shake the hands of his opponents in a non-confrontational setting – they’re professionals. As long as he didn’t disgrace the Spurs and the NBA by fighting or other mischief. Who knows, maybe TD or TP or Manu or even Pop may have confronted Green later and said “Why didn’t you tell us you were going to that bar, we would have come along too”. Season’s over, the Spurs lost, they have a nice long summer (3 months) to recoup, exercise and get in shape for next season. God Bless them all.
Old 06-26-13, 03:32 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom32x4 View Post
This is a horrible comparison, there is no comparison between death and losing a basketball GAME.
It is not a game. You don't dedicate your entire life and get paid millions of dollars to play a game. How do you explain people crying when winning a championship.

Comparing it to death is an extreme example, but for a player who really cares about winning, I expect losing to evoke a similar emotion.

To me Danny green is the type of player who just plays for the check.
Old 06-26-13, 03:56 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
It is not a game. You don't dedicate your entire life and get paid millions of dollars to play a game. How do you explain people crying when winning a championship.

Comparing it to death is an extreme example, but for a player who really cares about winning, I expect losing to evoke a similar emotion.

High school players with no shot at being paid for their sports cry when they win or lose too. Again, as Pop has told his players before, he hopes that losing game 7 is the worst thing that happens to them, that would indicate a really good life.

If Green played just for a check, he had a funny way of showing it by getting better after signing an extension. If this was a contract year I might agree, but he got paid, and then got better. That's the opposite of a player in it for the money. (See: Dampier, Erick)
Old 06-26-13, 04:21 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom32x4 View Post
High school players with no shot at being paid for their sports cry when they win or lose too. Again, as Pop has told his players before, he hopes that losing game 7 is the worst thing that happens to them, that would indicate a really good life.

If Green played just for a check, he had a funny way of showing it by getting better after signing an extension. If this was a contract year I might agree, but he got paid, and then got better. That's the opposite of a player in it for the money. (See: Dampier, Erick)
I played high school basketball. Your expected to practice 3 hours a day plus weight traing and conditioning. That's a lot of time and effort. If you worked that hard for a goal, it is worth crying for.

Pop is just saying that to make the players feel better. If you have a passion for basketball and spent 6 hours a day for 20 years working to get better at it.(which most guards in the nba did), it would be foolish to say basketball is not a big part of your life.
Old 06-26-13, 05:16 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

It is a game. It is a job.
It is not life and death of close family members.

For you to judge others based upon a single moment that you only witness through the press is asinine.

You appear to be the type of person that only posts for the drama.
Old 06-26-13, 05:37 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
It is a game. It is a job.
It is not life and death of close family members.

For you to judge others based upon a single moment that you only witness through the press is asinine.

You appear to be the type of person that only posts for the drama.
Based on what I know Green had a fever and still went clubbing. I could understand going to a small bar and getting a meal and a beer to help forget about the pain.But the guy went to one of the most expensive clubs in Miami. You should save these kind of trips for celebration. So to me it looks like he was celebrating a loss.

You are right that I probably should not judge people bacsed on the press. But when I first heard about this I was truly angered. I just dont expect this this kind of behavior from a championship team.

edit:
I could be wrong and Green could still have an outstanding drive and work ethic,but his recent actions just make me second guess. Hopefully he can prove me wrong and play even better next season.

Last edited by scarlet; 06-26-13 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-27-13, 08:56 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Actually, a number of cultures, all over the world, celebrate death with a party...

And, it absolutely is a game! By simple definition, it is a game. Has a business developed around this game? Yep. Do people take this game very seriously? Sure. But to in any way argue this is not a game is just wrong.

And, I would like to think most of us are social enough that we have all gone out "on the town" before. First of all he was probably out with friends and family, its not like he called up bron bron and said lets go get krunk by himself. Second, for all their pompous swagger Miami is actually not very big, not a whole lot of up scale places where an NBA player would go. Third, it was probably one of a number of places he stopped that night. When he noticed 'Bron he decided to simply congratulate him instead of awkwardly trying to slide past the cameras unnoticed and get a drink. I mean, it makes sense to me... if he was actually "partying" at all.

Lastly, is there any commentary, pictures or proof that he was in fact out "partying" as has been suggested. Perhaps he was just having dinner and a drink with friends/family/wife and the Heat crew showed up. Does anybody actually know what happened or are we all just going to assume the guy was out "partying" after what was probably the worst few nights of his life?
Old 06-28-13, 04:13 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Lots of assumptions for sure ! Drinking after a loved one's death doesn't have to be a party. My assumption is Scarlet has never heard "This Is For My Homies".
:drummer
Old 06-28-13, 05:35 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Or maybe he threw game's 6&7 because he wanted to do the nasty with Lebron after he gets a few drinks in him.