SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Spurs draft preview (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120009-spurs-draft-preview.html)

SilverSpur 06-26-13 02:49 AM

Spurs draft preview

The San Antonio Spurs came within five seconds of a fifth NBA title, but fell short against the Miami Heat.

Once again, they have a late pick in the first round, a price you pay for consistent greatness.

The Spurs don't have many weaknesses, other than age. Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker are getting up there, or, are already up there.

Ginobili is an unrestricted free agent who, admittedly, is contemplating retirement. He said that after a painful NBA Finals where Ginobili had one great game, but six poor ones.

If there's potential for offseason problems, it would be in the front court. Boris Diaw and Tiago Splitter can both leave, so big man might be the target with the 28th pick.

Jeff Withey of Kansas, Mike Muscala of Bucknell and Louisville's Gorgui Dieng all might make sense.

If Ginobili retires, and Gary Neal, who is a restricted free agent, bolts, the Spurs will need some perimeter shooters. Either of the great Jrs, Tim Hardaway or Glen Rice, seem like San Antonio type players. Both are NBA ready, but should slide down the board as other teams look for flaws the Spurs don't care about.

Players under contract: G: Tony Parker; F: Tim Duncan; F: Matt Bonner; G: Danny Green; F: Kawhi Leonard; G: Nando de Colo; G: Cory Joseph; C: Aaron Baynes

Free agents: F: Boris Diaw (player option); Patty Mills (player option); Gary Neal (restricted); Tiago Splitter (restricted); DeJuan Blair; Tracy McGrady; Manu Ginobili

Recent Draft History:

2012: Marcus Denmon (59)

2011: Cory Joseph (29), Adam Hanga (59)

2010: James Anderson (20), Ryan Richards (49)

2009: DeJuan Blair (37), Jack McClinton (51), Nando De Colo (53)

2008: George Hill (26), Goran Dragic (45), James Gist (57)

Draft picks: 1st round (28th overall), 2nd round (58th overall)

San Antonio Spurs 2013 Draft Preview | Fox News

alh1020 06-26-13 06:48 AM

Saw this item this morning, just want to throw this out there:

Aran Smith: Sources have indicated Spurs may have a promise with Erick Green at 28. #draftrumor Twitter @nbadraftnet

Erik Green – 6’4” Senior, Va Tech
PPG: 25.0
RPG: 4.0
APG: 3.8
FG%: .475
3P%: .389

MichaelWi101 06-26-13 07:06 AM

Saw that Green rumor this morning, can't buy into it. Why would the Spurs make a promise to someone about being picked 28th? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and when was the last time the Spurs had anything leak that was accurate?

alh1020 06-26-13 07:35 AM

Yeah, you’re right there. A possible decoy or misdirection tended for any team drafting in the top 27 to divert them away from a favored choice. Or Pop’s way of f**king with the opposition.

montgod 06-26-13 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1301131)
Saw that Green rumor this morning, can't buy into it. Why would the Spurs make a promise to someone about being picked 28th? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and when was the last time the Spurs had anything leak that was accurate?

I agree however I do remember how their desire to draft Batum got out in the past. Also Green is undersized and closer to 6'1. Neal replacement maybe... But don't see him being the pick.

MichaelWi101 06-26-13 10:44 AM

Green is 6'1"?????? No possible way he's drafted as a 2 guard. That's way to short, heck that's even short for the modern pg.

MichaelWi101 06-26-13 10:48 AM

DraftExpress has the Spurs taking Jeff Withey C 23 years old; 7'0"; 222 lbs. Kansas, Senior - I think they've changed this everytime they've displayed a mock draft...

SilverSpur 06-26-13 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1301151)
DraftExpress has the Spurs taking Jeff Withey C 23 years old; 7'0"; 222 lbs. Kansas, Senior - I think they've changed this everytime they've displayed a mock draft...

Yeah, its not unusual for the info to keep getting updated each time there is new information.

The ties with Kansas that the team has make sense here.

MichaelWi101 06-26-13 12:23 PM

Plus at 7' and with 4 years of college behind him, at least he should be mature, not sure how good he is, but like they say, you can't teach height.

DDAMAGE 06-26-13 12:37 PM

I can't tell you who the Spurs will pick but any of these guys will work for me:

Sergey Karasev 6-7 (my favorite but don't see it happening)

Ricky Ledo 6-6

Isaiah Canaan 6-0

Livio Jean Charles 6-9

Tony Snell 6-7

Tony Mitchell 6-9

My theme here (other then Canaan) is players above 6-6..Oh well can't wait until tomorrow.

alh1020 06-26-13 03:02 PM

You know, I love Coach Bud and Danny Ferry, basically because they both have deep ties to the Spurs organization. But since they are both on Atlanta turf now, do you think Coach Bud will share the Spurs War Room draft strategy with Ferry and the Hawks? I would think it would be unethical or something. But since he has said his goodbyes, I’m sure Coach Bud and Pop have had words concerning the upcoming draft.

spurscrazed 06-26-13 05:40 PM

(Wonder where the heck Jose is when the draft is going tomorrow :shocked)

Project Spurs Trevor Zickgraf wrote this today.
LINK

Quote:

Oregon forward Arsalan Kazemi tweeted that he worked out for the Western Conference Champions over the weekend.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Had a great workout with San Antonio Spurs, thanks for having me. June 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>