News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-13, 08:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Source: Blazers to Target Tiago Splitter

A league source said on Monday that the Blazers, who hold the No. 10 pick in the first round, have interest in two restricted free-agent centers: San Antonio’s Tiago Splitter and Minnesota’s Nikola Pekovic. This comes after a trade-proposal report that would have the Blazers trading their lottery pick to Phoenix for center Marcin Gortat.

Source: Blazers to Target Tiago Splitter | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-25-13, 08:40 AM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

I don't mind if Splitter goes as long as we have someone else come in to take his place, like Jefferson or someone like him. I just hope we dont end up getting screwed where Splitter leaves and then no one comes here or they end up getting better money somewhere else. I'm hoping that if Manu's contract gets renewed that it happens after all of the free agents we are trying to sign gets signed and then we can decide how much we need to pay him rather than not having enough money to sign someone who can make a bigger impact.
Old 06-25-13, 08:40 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Saw that earlier. Let them overpay him which WILL happen. This will force the FO to make moves. Cut ties with bonner and attempt to replace Splits with Al Jeff and sign Tyreke Evans. Signing both between $8-10M is not delusional, just maybe slightly unrealistic. Considering where the spurs were and how close to winning #5, has to improve chances of signing someone of these guys value

- Confucius
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-25-13, 08:42 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuspence281 View Post
I don't mind if Splitter goes as long as we have someone else come in to take his place, like Jefferson or someone like him. I just hope we dont end up getting screwed where Splitter leaves and then no one comes here or they end up getting better money somewhere else. I'm hoping that if Manu's contract gets renewed that it happens after all of the free agents we are trying to sign gets signed and then we can decide how much we need to pay him rather than not having enough money to sign someone who can make a bigger impact.
To sign Manu in the way u describe would require spurs to renounce rights so his salary is off the books. As long as the FO states their intentions by doing so beforehand to Manu, I don't see him being disrespected and possibly going elsewhere. If Manu gets more than $6, he's be doing the franchise a disservice IMO.

- Confucius
Old 06-25-13, 09:29 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

I have mixed feelings about Splitter. I've been a fan of his but his numbers this year were so-so 6.4 rebounds per game, less than 1 block per game, 10.3 pts per game, he didn't turn it over much, and he didn't foul much but I kind of get the feeling that he's really close to his ceiling.

But because he's 6'11" and can pass he'll probably be offered 8 million (or more) by someone.

Not sure he's worth it
Old 06-25-13, 09:37 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

The answer to, is he worth it?

Is, compared to who, and at what price?

I would overpay him to keep intact a team that was a missed free throw away from a championship. Especially if our other options Are not starting caliber. Keep in mind as much as splitter struggled against Miami, without him we have a really tough time getting past Memphis. Not to mention Oklahoma City.
Old 06-25-13, 11:18 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Would we be willing to take the #10 pick for a sign and trade... if so for who in return?
Old 06-25-13, 11:28 AM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
The answer to, is he worth it?

Is, compared to who, and at what price?

I would overpay him to keep intact a team that was a missed free throw away from a championship. Especially if our other options Are not starting caliber. Keep in mind as much as splitter struggled against Miami, without him we have a really tough time getting past Memphis. Not to mention Oklahoma City.
He did play well but so did Matt Bonner. I think if anyone just bodies those guys up and stands with their arms strait up it effects them. Also having one of the off guards challenge the shot late. Idk if that effect was solely because of Splitter or more because of the game plan/system.
(I'm not advocating for either of them staying or going)
Old 06-25-13, 03:52 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Maresse Speights. Big body. Nice shot from within 15'. Won't command much $$$.
Old 06-25-13, 03:56 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I like Splitter...

Would hate to see him go...But if he is gonna get over 8-10 Million a year then we have to do whats best for the team...and putting that money into a Al Jefferson or a Paul Milsap may be the way to go...
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 06-25-13, 04:39 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

yeah lets no overpay splityer... btw liked what i saw from that pecovic...
Old 06-25-13, 04:57 PM

At least we can be confident the front office here won't overpay. Happy to see the Blazers overpay though, considering they have a bunch of talent to work with already and deep pockets, so you hate to see them make Shrewd financial decisions.
Old 06-25-13, 09:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Tiago did help us get to the finals, but he is not worth a huge contract at least not from the spurs.
Old 06-26-13, 04:17 AM
SpursReport Rookie

No point in getting rid of Tiago if his replacement is a slower player regardless of shooting ability. If his replacement can't get up and down the court faster than he can it is just taking steps in the wrong direction IMO.
Old 06-26-13, 07:16 AM
SpursReport Team Member

let them have him.
Im interested in a fresh start.

Putting on my fake front office hat I would see if he bites on a 3 yr 21 mil dollar deal, with the 3rd year being a team option (he is certainly going to get more than that some where else). let somebody else over pay for his services.
Old 06-26-13, 08:30 AM

I don't want us to dump splitter then get shredded in the interior next year by Memphis or Los Angeles. If you are going to let splitter go, you had better have better options then Boris and Bonner.
Old 06-26-13, 06:21 PM
Herman Cain of the board

TRADE BONNER!