SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   2 Videos: Conspiracy Theorist thinks NBA is Rigged! (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/119991-2-videos-conspiracy-theorist-thinks-nba-rigged.html)

spurscrazed 06-24-13 09:38 PM

2 Videos: Conspiracy Theorist thinks NBA is Rigged!

Personally I am not a fan of that conspiracy theory that NBA is Rigged, but hey recently this theorist put two videos with few facts. Although some of those facts might add up, but it still does not make a complete theory IMO. I believe these videos are made now because we have David Stern leaving his office had some NBA fans are reflecting about those last few years Stern ruled!!!

1. The Art of Rigging NBA Games Part 1 of 2

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9Pw9g1efbNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. The Art of Rigging NBA Games Part 2 of 2

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iHd2UNqtYjg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thesuspence281 06-24-13 11:12 PM

Well thats 30 minutes of my life im not getting back...
Those are all pretty broad accusations. I dont necessarily think that the video evidence shown there was indicative or even really helpful for that person's argument. Anyone could take some clips of games or certain calls together to make it fit their agenda. We all know, especially recently, that sometimes referees won't make the hard calls towards the end of the games. Also in the clips in the videos you see phantom calls but how many time have we seen in a game where one team gets a crappy call on one end and then the refs seemingly make up a call out of nowhere to make up for the fact that they blew a call on the other end. It doesn't necessarily mean its fixed. I think its guna take some much higher caliber evidence, such as a high ranking official coming out and exposing something like this for this argument to ever get any substantial traction.

grizzly_bexar 06-25-13 12:01 AM

Look, there's no question the officiating has been bad in years past. In 2002 it was awful. In 2006 it was ridiculous-- both to benefit Dallas and then screw them over.

In 2007, we got the benefit (no-call on Lebron at the end of the game 4).

In 2008 vs. the Lakers, we got screwed on for example the no-call on Fisher with Barry taking a shot.

This year I thought the officiating was much improved.

Yes, you can complain about calls. But Miami had their share too.

In the critical game 6, the calls didn't beat us. We beat ourselves.

They screwed up the Ray Allen foul on Manu. No doubt.

But seconds before, they had no-called a strip on Lebron James by Danny Green. Green's was not a foul-- but if you look at them in real time, they look the same. And those are reflex calls-- you don't get time to reflect on them or see a replay.

Then in Game 7, they arguably could have given Miami the "clear path" foul in the 4th quarter that would've likely been game over.

They also gave Chris Bosh lots of early fouls.

Then offensive fouls vs. Lebron etc.

So I just don't buy a conspiracy theory. I do buy that the officiating is ego and personality driven, but even that has gotten better (largely, I think, due to efforts by Mark Cuban).

But I think the biggest explanation for all the no-calls in game 6 was the refs were told, "don't decide the game. Let the players decide." and tha's what they did. That favors the defense. So guess what? That ended up tilting to Miami's favor. But it could've gone our way very easily.

If the NBA ran on conspiracies, they wouldn't leave it to the chance of a Ray Allen 3 pointer with seconds to go to extend the series. That's just stupid.

spurscrazed 06-25-13 12:29 AM

Keep in mind as the maker of that video mentioned former REF Donaghy was charged with conspiracy to engage in wire fraud and transmitting betting information through interstate commerce. That was not the same as to say as fixating games.

I think as much as the NBA Commiss and the Refs tried to fix those games, and I am sure they wish they could.... Don't doubt that for a second they would love that certain big market team would win it all, but they simply have not invented that yet. It could be that they might extend series sometime to 7 games for better rating and more revenue, but I doubt they can successfully fix what the result of that series will be it is harder than some people might think.

alh1020 06-25-13 08:57 AM

Regarding Donaghy, with his actions being exposed and later his conviction, the NBA had a bad public relations problem. If there was any conspiracy present, other than fixing the games for profit, before Donaghy, I don’t believe it’s there now but only by coincidence of events that might lead a person to believe one exists. If a person believes something strongly enough, they could surely con someone else into believing it as well.

Now, I do believe there are players who are protected or the refs kind of look the other way just because of star power or veteran status of the player but only to prolong their being on the court longer. We always hear the commentators ask the question “Whose going to get that foul, the veteran or the rookie?” Who would want pay to come to the games if they saw Duncan, Shaq, Lebron or Kobe be called for the fouls they do commit and foul out before halftime. That lawyer in Miami, who sued Pop, would surely be pissed and be suing everybody.

scarlet 06-25-13 12:02 PM

The nba is partly rigged. Everone knows Michael Jordan got a lot of calls. Nba makes money from superstars. I don't think stern tells the refs directly to rig the game. But I think it is more of an evolution processes where refs who send series to seven and give superstar calls, get paid more and are allowed to ref more games. It is somewhat of an unwritten rule for refs.

Dulce 06-25-13 12:34 PM

Don't need to watch videos, we ALL KNOW the NBA is rigged. Sometimes, like our Spurs, teams actually win by putting the ball in the basket. And there isn't a damn thing the refs can do about it, sometime. ;)

spurscrazed 06-25-13 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarlet (Post 1301018)
Nba makes money from superstars. I don't think stern tells the refs directly to rig the game. But I think it is more of an evolution processes where refs who send series to seven and give superstar calls, get paid more and are allowed to ref more games. It is somewhat of an unwritten rule for refs.

I agree.
No way refs rig the game.
Easier said than done. And I am 100% sure NBA wish they could do that.
The better team will always win.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dulce (Post 1301022)
Don't need to watch videos, we ALL KNOW the NBA is rigged. Sometimes, like our Spurs, teams actually win by putting the ball in the basket. And there isn't a damn thing the refs can do about it, sometime. ;)

Despite refs liking to see team with most Super Stars and bigger market to win it all. At the end of the day Super Stars win games period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alh1020 (Post 1300995)
Regarding Donaghy, with his actions being exposed and later his conviction, the NBA had a bad public relations problem. If there was any conspiracy present, other than fixing the games for profit, before Donaghy, I don’t believe it’s there now but only by coincidence of events that might lead a person to believe one exists. If a person believes something strongly enough, they could surely con someone else into believing it as well.

Donaghy got some eyes opened, still there is no proof of NBA fixing so far. It will take as thesuspence281 said a higher caliber evidence or maybe authority to be proved.

The NBA had been trying to clear their image with the instant replay rule in 2010 after the Donaghy incident happened....They are even talking about NBA considering instant replay for late-game charge calls LINK

All those speculations of NBA rigging will never end.

The below ling to a recent article 3 weeks ago which explains this past 2013 season on how Lakers made the PO then goes to 2013 playoff Miami and Indiana series and the Miam and Spurs Finals..

History Of NBA Conspiracy Theories - Business Insider